Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2010 5:01:32 AM EDT
Ran 20 miles this morning.  Took me around 2:55, which averages out to around 8:45 miles, although 4 of the last 6 miles were basically uphill so I know I slowed down considerably at that point.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Dayum....
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I've run about 6 half marathons but after 13-14 miles I'm about ready to stop. (6'4" 240)

Good job... you training for somthing specific ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Craziness!!!   But hats off to you that is a long way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've run about 6 half marathons but after 13-14 miles I'm about ready to stop. (6'4" 240)

Good job... you training for somthing specific ?

Well, I have been thinking about signing up for a marathon this winter if I could hit 20.  Guess I gotta do if now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]
the first 20 were great, but the last six became exponentially worse with each passing mile.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice!

I'm up to about 16 and going to do a couple of half marathons in the next month.

An 8:45 pace for that distance is solid.

Good luck on the 26.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the first 20 were great, but the last six became exponentially worse with each passing mile.

That's what I hear.  But ya don't know if you can do it if you don't try, right?
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ran 20 miles this morning.  Took me around 2:55, which averages out to around 8:45 miles, although 4 of the last 6 miles were basically uphill so I know I slowed down considerably at that point.

Dang... when I see a title like "the longest run I've ever done", my first thought is "Did someone chase him home from the liquor store?"  

I've worked the finish line at a few marathons.  What I saw made me never want to run more than 10k in my life.  EVER.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Well that makes my 1.5 miles last night seem like much at all. I am on week 3 of Couch to 5k.

Surprisingly, for a big boy, I don't mind running.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#11]
WOW

I don't even like to drive 20 miles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WOW

I don't even like to drive 20 miles.

Tell ya what, it gives you a new appreciation for just how long 20 miles is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#13]
So, after the marathon, what's next?  Time for an Ironman?  

Great work on the 20.  I don't know that I'll ever want to do a full marathon but I might have to join my wife in the next half marathon she does.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know.  I am not a very good open water swimmer and I have very little opportunity to practice it around here.

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice run !   Lots of time to sort out your priorities on a 20 miler.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice run !   Lots of time to sort out your priorities on a 20 miler.

I can't even remember what I was thinking about...after a while, my mind kind of went blank.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Those are really enjoyable runs. You can tune out and go on auto pilot. The ones that are mentally taxing are the ones that you have to use all of your mental focus to stay on the gas after your legs begin to mutiny because of the pain. The bodies default position is comfort, if you cross that barrier you have to use your brain to cajole your legs to obey.  Any lapse of concentration results in an immediate slow down. This is especially true on the bike as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, I have been thinking about signing up for a marathon this winter if I could hit 20.  Guess I gotta do if now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You're far past the fitness level needed to run the whole thing without walking.  I don't know if you have any experience with organized races, but I always run better at them than in any of my training; I think it's a combination of them being in the morning, refreshment support every mile, and the atmosphere of thousands of other runners enjoying the fall weather.

Let us know how you do!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know.  I am not a very good open water swimmer and I have very little opportunity to practice it around here.

The pool is a much better place to build swim-specific fitness than is open water.  Open water training is primarily 1) to get used to your wetsuit and 2) to practice sighting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pool is a much better place to build swim-specific fitness than is open water.  Open water training is primarily 1) to get used to your wetsuit and 2) to practice sighting.

It's more of a psychological, mental thing.  I need to get used to long, open water swims.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#21]
What kind of shoes and socks do you use?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wear quick-dry running socks I bought at the local running store.  I can't remember the brand name.
I ran the 20 in a pair of Nike Air Structure Triax'es, but my normal running shoes are Nike Air Moto 7s.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wear quick-dry running socks I bought at the local running store.  I can't remember the brand name.
I ran the 20 in a pair of Nike Air Structure Triax'es, but my normal running shoes are Nike Air Moto 7s.

I started week 4 of Couch to 5K tonight and made it through OK.

I am quite a newbie to running and I have been told that the key to keeping your joints and feet healthy is good shoes and socks.  I bought a pair of Nike Air Max with the Nike+ for my iPod and I generally just use my standard cotton ankle socks and I have not had any trouble but I am only running/walking about 2 miles a day right now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#24]
running marathons is good fun.
dont let the nay sayers scare you out of signing up for one.
if you can run 13 miles without and issues, you can tun 26 miles.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am quite a newbie to running and I have been told that the key to keeping your joints and feet healthy is good shoes and socks.  I bought a pair of Nike Air Max with the Nike+ for my iPod and I generally just use my standard cotton ankle socks and I have not had any trouble but I am only running/walking about 2 miles a day right now.

The socks aren't a big deal until you get up past about 10 miles––-then, you need good socks because they're going to be swimming in sweat.
Replacing your shoes every 3-6 months is a must for heavier runners especially.  Another must for heavier runners at least in my experience is to avoid extending your stride past your center of gravity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I wish I could run long enough to let my mind blank. Im at 5-6 max right now. My mind runs wild while running so much so that I would like it to shut up!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say that it makes more sense to say the right shoes rather than good shoes.  Good shoes do you no good if they arent the right shoes for you.  Socks only matter if you have issues with blisters...cotton will work up to a specific distance, but youll eventually be paying for it.  Might as well spend a little to make sure youre protected.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The socks aren't a big deal until you get up past about 10 miles––-then, you need good socks because they're going to be swimming in sweat.
Replacing your shoes every 3-6 months is a must for heavier runners especially.  Another must for heavier runners at least in my experience is to avoid extending your stride past your center of gravity.

I would tend to disagree with this as it is a generalization.  Everyone is different, and for the most part (especially if new to running)  they will run the way their body thinks is comfortable.  Number of footfalls isnt going to reduce injuries...making sure youre not over-training will.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would tend to disagree with this as it is a generalization.  Everyone is different, and for the most part (especially if new to running)  they will run the way their body thinks is comfortable.  Number of footfalls isnt going to reduce injuries...making sure youre not over-training will.

I can't say it will work for everyone, but it definitely worked for me.  I didn't reduce my mileage––-actually, I have drastically increased it––––didn't change my shoe brand or model significantly, or anything else except I started changing out shoes a bit more frequently and I reduced the length of my stride and I have not had any problems with knee pain or achilles tendenitis, which I did have before I shortened my stride.  I have talked to other heavier runners who have tried this and it worked for them as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't say it will work for everyone, but it definitely worked for me.  I didn't reduce my mileage––-actually, I have drastically increased it––––didn't change my shoe brand or model significantly, or anything else except I started changing out shoes a bit more frequently and I reduced the length of my stride and I have not had any problems with knee pain or achilles tendenitis, which I did have before I shortened my stride.  I have talked to other heavier runners who have tried this and it worked for them as well.

The problem is there are a lot of variables that come into play when talking about fixing joint dysfunction issues not just one.  For example; wrong shoes, not replacing shoes enough, training, training modality, existing injuries, perception of pain, etc.  Like you said it probably wont work for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
running marathons is good fun.
dont let the nay sayers scare you out of signing up for one.
if you can run 13 miles without and issues, you can tun 26 miles.

As a guy who ran my first half marathon on 10/17... Are you out of your mind???  

Prior to 10/17 I had run 10.5 miles.  I did the 13.1 in under 2 hrs.  There is NO WAY IN HELL that I could have finished 26 that Sunday, or today.  OK, if a gun was to my head, but not w/o that!  Mile 11.5 to 12.5 just plain sucked!

I wish you were right, but I have to respectfully disagree!

K

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top