Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 3:00:59 PM EDT
Yeah I know, this is nothing compared to the 2-3 feet some are seeing in the northeast right now, but I wanted to share anyway. The wife and I spent the weekend in Gatlinburg, and here are a couple of pictures. The first is what our view from the back balcony looked like when we got there. The second picture was from this morning. We thought we were going to be stuck there for another day or so, Kudos to all the cabin rental companies in the area, they were working all night trying to keep salt on the roads and plowing as much as they could. Only problem this morning was leaving, the small road that our cabin was on really didn't get much salt, so it was a complete sheet of ice. Once we were able to get up that part about 200 yards or so, the rest of the road back down the mountain was pretty good.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool pics.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool pics. Gatlinburg is beautiful. Its been a long time since I've been down there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice pics, but you are right.  It's nothing compared to the two freeking feet of the white stuff on my truck right now.  

I haven't seen a snowfall like this since I was a yout in Wesconson.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh East TN, I love it here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Where is Gatlinburg in relation to Pigeon Forge?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Gatlinburg is about 10 miles south of Pigeon Forge
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Around the corner.  Seriously keep going a couple more miles and you are there.

I loved the area the but the traffic killed me.  It was 10pm at night in the middle of winter and traffic was bumper to bumper with 1 car making it through a stop light cycle.  I do not do well in that type of setting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, my brother lives in Pigeon Forge.  I really need to get out and see him.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved the area the but the traffic killed me.  It was 10pm at night in the middle of winter and traffic was bumper to bumper with 1 car making it through a stop light cycle.  I do not do well in that type of setting.

Yeah, I don't do well in that traffic situation either.  I had no idea that the area was a tourist trap until my brother and his wife moved out there.  He's always told me it was a pretty area but it never really registered ...

Any of you guys hike out in that area?  We'd like to bring our two boxers out to hike with us but the brochures I've seen for the public areas out there all say no dogs.

That place you stayed at ... Bed and Breakfast or just lodges or what?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I don't do well in that traffic situation either.  I had no idea that the area was a tourist trap until my brother and his wife moved out there.  He's always told me it was a pretty area but it never really registered ...

Any of you guys hike out in that area?  We'd like to bring our two boxers out to hike with us but the brochures I've seen for the public areas out there all say no dogs.

That place you stayed at ... Bed and Breakfast or just lodges or what?  Thanks.

Cabin. Lots of cabin choices on the mountains.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My BIL/SIL and wife's cousin & wife were supposed to spend the weekend in a cabin.  Don't know if they went or not considering the forecast.

I would love to spend a snowy weekend in a cabin down there.  Been meaning to do it for some time now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back roads are the key to getting around the area...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Back roads are the key to getting around the area...

Esp. if there is anything happening that weekend.  2 years in a row we've been there post UT O&W game and gotten into the clogged Rod Run traffic.

Took us almost 2 hours to make it from Kodak to Pigeon Forge last year.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Floyd Garretts Muscle Car Museum.......
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#15]
looksl ike you stayed in our cabin!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice.  My parents are moving there in March from North Carolina.  I suppose I'll have to go there and visit.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I was there on my honeymoon exactly one month ago.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to love going down there.  In the past 10 years it has become nothing but a big tourist trap.  Going on vacation and being stuck in traffic for hours isn't my idea of relaxing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#21]
So....you guy's spent alot of time indoors eh?

Looks beautiful, hope you both had a great time relaxing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks nice. The last time I was there was about 4 years ago when rain caused flooding. We rolled in about 1AM Sat morning. We got up later to get some breakfast and groceries but the road was under a couple feet of water and had washed away in places. The water finally went down enough after about 10 hrs for us to get out and get supplies. It made for a fun, and hungry, weekend.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Gatlinburg, eh? Too bad you didn't show up in mid-July; you could've caught the dirty mangy dog that named you Sue.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top