Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2001 12:36:23 PM EDT
Well folks just got back from my interview in Dallas. I gotta tell you I like the place. Not exactly what us California folks often think about when the word Texas is mentioned.

Dallas is every bit the metropolitan city as L.A. and Chicago is. I did not get to do much Fri, just the interview and dinner. On Sat however I met with a few folks from Assault Web board(warfrog and BD)for a few rounds at a local gun range/store and lunch. I tell you what, this kid almost cried with happiness. At the gunstore: There it was AR15's, AR10's, Mini 14's w/ pg and folding stocks, and to top it all off, an HK91 on the display. I have not seen HK's in Kali since the ban many moons ago. Not to mention all the hi cap mags you want(the place we went to was a bit pricey thought) The overall feel of the gun culture there is a complete 180 degrees from Kali. The people were very friendly and helpfull. It was too cold for this California kid, but I was assured that it would warm up in the summer [;)]

Sat. afternoon was spent looking at apartments. I found two that I really like in Plano and both were w/i my price range. Both complexes were very helpfull and had relocation services. Sat. night I just ate dinner and cruised around the downtown area. Basically just around the vacinity of the 75 as that is the only highway I am familiar with. Didn't not whoop it up as I had an early flight out. I really liked what I saw.

The interview pretty much went well. Well now I just gotta wait and see if I get offered the posititon. Should know by the end of the week. I will definitely be accepting it and moving.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure and let me know what company this is, and I'll be more than glad to give you a character reference.[}:)]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats,

I hope you get the job.

It'll be nice to see TX US under your user name!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck, lordtrader. If this is the opportunity you're supposed to take, it will work out for you. I'm still looking for my chance to escape the PRK.

Striker- the mannequin helps out with the laundry, but otherwise just stands around and looks pretty.[;)]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Don R:
Be sure and let me know what company this is, and I'll be more than glad to give you a character reference.[}:)]
View Quote

Oh Don you really don't have to do that. I wouldn't wanna put you out or nothing like that. [:p]

And thanx for the well wishes guys. I am really excited about getting the flock outta Kali.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I was down there last week and i saw something i have not seen before. I am in the electronics business and when we went into the lobbys of several of my customers i noticed a sign "no concealed weapons beyound this point" or something to that effect. I travel all over the world and that's the first time I have seen signs of that sort . What's up with that? Texas is reciprocal with my state but I left my hardware in the car most of the time i was there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I did not see such signs in the offices where I interviewed. They also gave me a copy of the employee hand book and found nothing in there about firearms at work. [:)] So if yuo have a CCW, how do you bring up a question like that to your employer? Do you ask point blank if you can carry around the office or hint and look for clues?
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi Lordtrader,
I live in Dallas and have CHL. For a while I would only pay attention to the signs that are properly made as they are the only ones in reality that you can be prosecuted for.(specs on signs are in handbook/stating code).Of course who wants to work this all out in court? On the other hand anyone who owns or represents business or property can verbally ask you to leave if they know you are carrying!
I have never been asked to leave,and I give places that post for no obvious reason, a hard lecture about my money going to businesses were I can be trusted to defend myself in accordance to law if need arise! I even get apologies!
No one has ever spotted me carrying. At least to my knowledge.
But then I do get more courteious looks and better places in line ......hehe.
Dallas can be tough place to live folks,its hot 9 months outta the year and traffic just sucks! We dont even have a decent football team!
But hey comon and ill show you the gun ranges and introduce you to "Deer Hunting Lease" price shock/heart failure syndrome!
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at the move as a tactical retreat. You get to rearm. I really feel sorry for gun owners in California. If all the gun owners would leave California the crime rate would sky rocket and leave all the liberal pukes with a big mess. I hope you make it out of California.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I'am keepin my fingers crossed for you LT.

[^]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, I bet that North Dallas looks a little like Irvine(not Irving!) Calif.  Dallas’ Galleria Mall at the Toll Rd and 635 reminds me a lot of Fashion Island in terms of clientele and stores.  For me, when I was there, it was hard to distinguish between the real signs disallowing guns in the bars and the ones put up for laughs.  It was real confusing at first. I believe guns are not allowed in bars. Dallas was a dry county at one time, and I believe that the law was changed a few years ago allowed to sell “liquor by the drink”.  Dallas’ traffic isn’t quite as bad as the El Toro Y at 8a, so you should survive okay.  Dallas' DART transportation system was quite good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck LT!  The wife and I are planning on heading down there to have a look-see.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#13]
HHHHEEEYYY, what about me??? I want out too..
I`ve been looking at VEGAS real close. I`m looking at summer time as my children get out of school then. Good luck to you. I will say, california will be losing another fine man.    
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#14]
LORDTRADER,
We save all the "good" stuff until you are a Texan! [:D] Good luck with the job. It will be like living in a whole new country!
Lynn   [uzi]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Warlord, I was looking at apartments in Plano. Aside from the empty land around it, its looks like Ivine or some parts Laguna Niguel.

Forkhorn, heat is no problem for me. I lived in FL for a bit, and now SoCal so heat is nothing. Its the cold that I am very much against.

Thanx for all the well wishes guys.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Lordtrader,
I lived in Florida also(Tampa Bay).
Florida could not compare, though both states are humid. Texas is not surrounded by water.
The Texas heat is humid you literally fight for breath in the months of july and august, In fact it got so hot down here one day last summer I seen a dog chasing a cat ....and they both were walking!!!
Well good luck anyway,Plano and Richardson are pretty decent. Some of the "lil rich kids" were droping like flies due to heroin influx. It has quited down some now. Thank God!
I am a Licensed Chemical Dependancy Counselor here in this state, was hard to see the reality of the times affecting those families.
If you make it here, look me up ill give you the real tour! Oh and by the way my wife is in the electrical business also. Oh and learn these words also..."Gun Show"
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Texas heat is humid you literally fight for breath in the months of july and august.."
View Quote

Yep, I agree, I was at Griffin & Elm, downtown Dallas, block or two from the Sixth Floor Museum, and it was a real ordeal to walk 3 blocks to the Subway Sandwich shop and back in August at 1pm.  I was drenched in perspiration when I got back to my hotel room.  But I know you will do okay.  There is all kinds of gun shows going on, but I only got a chance to see the one at the Dallas Convention Center.  Better be sure you gots a hefty bank account.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I don't have a hefty bank account as it will be drained if I do move. I do however have a well funded retirement account I will be borrowing from if I can get a CLEO to sign a from4 for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top