Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2012 6:49:00 AM EDT
I just got a job with the local sheriff dept here in my hometown in ky. This is what I've always wanted to do, and finally got the oppurtunity! Any advice from veterans to a new guy?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Subscribed for the reading...
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the job.    What division are you working?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Advice?

I can only tell you how I approached the job.  And that's it...it's a job and not your life.  Your life is what you do on your time off.  That is what defines you.  Yes being a Deputy as I was for 25 years is a career but it's not my life.  

If you want to make it your life you will probably get promoted.  

It's going to be your choice on what you want to do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Advice?

I can only tell you how I approached the job.  And that's it...it's a job and not your life.  Your life is what you do on your time off.  That is what defines you.  Yes being a Deputy as I was for 25 years is a career but it's not my life.  

Good point. Time off is your life. Have fun while you're on the job.

If you'd like, IM me your email. I'll send you a document called something like "Things I wish I knew as a Rookie." It's a long word document, but worth a read.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a career, not a crusade.

Working for a Sheriff - don't get sucked into the politics game and worry about who's running and which campaign to support.  Stay away from it.

Soak up the wise words of Lester Freamon:

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What county if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Working for a Sheriff - don't get sucked into the politics game and worry about who's running and which campaign to support.  Stay away from it.

http://youtu.be/b54EEpdv9q8

Very intriguing, what is this show and where can i find more of it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope that's sarcasm.

Please tell me you've heard of The Wire.  One of the best crime dramas ever.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Is ky where they make the jelly?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope that's sarcasm.

Please tell me you've heard of The Wire.  One of the best crime dramas ever.

heard of it but never watched it..... I'll look it up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Eyes & Ears open Mouth closed.

Watch & learn from the more senior guys use what you like & forget what you don't.

If it feel's wrong it is, and if you have to think if Its a good thing or not it most likely will not be a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#14]
All of the above plus, humility. Remember who you are...your not royalty or someone special, your a citizen just like the people you are going to police. Don't go down the road that many others have traveled where you act like your sh** doesn't stink and you get all "badge heavy" on folks. It's a common occurrence with young officers and most of us either avoided it entirely or grew out of it. How you deal with people, victims and suspects alike, can go a long way towards making you a more effective cop. People with often cooperate with officers who treat them like human beings and not trash. Even if they are screwing up and acting out, try and treat the people you encounter with respect, even if when using force against them. If your that guy that treats everyone like crap or acts like you have better things to do when they ask you for help then you aren't likely to get any help from those same people when you really need it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can only tell you how I approached the job.  And that's it...it's a job and not your life.  Your life is what you do on your time off.  That is what defines you.

This
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I will be working patrol.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Ky actually has a sheriffs dept that does patrol?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#18]
NO politics.  Other than that, NO politics.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just got a job with the local sheriff dept here in my hometown in ky. This is what I've always wanted to do, and finally got the oppurtunity! Any advice from veterans to a new guy?

Other than what people have alraedy posted, be prepared for all the locals who expect you to cut some slack you are EWKy who they grew up with.
Have a plan in place ahead of time on how you will deal with that. You'll be hearing it a lot.
If you have any skeletons in your closet as far as youthful shenanigans, expect that at least some of your former "friends" you deal with will dredge them up.

Enjoy the job, Learn from the senior officers. Be reliable. Don't make other people wait on you. You'll go through a natural career arc. Have a way to decompress from the stress that doesn't involve booze, or you'll burn out
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Record everything. Best piece of equipment found right here clicky clicky
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats. Watch the hands. Watch the hands. Watch the hands.  Are you paying attention...? Watch the hands.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Congrats. Watch the hands. Watch the hands. Watch the hands.  Are you paying attention...? Watch the hands.

+1...and wear your vest

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Tagged
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Record everything. Best piece of equipment found right here clicky clicky

it sounds messed up but this is the right approach now days. check you policies and procedures and make sure that you can record other officers and that your state laws allow it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This, and from one deputy to another, CONGRATS!
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Ditto. Be safe. Never stop learning and listening. From a 25year veteran.
Quoted:
In training: Officer safety, be seen more than heard, cover your partners, officer safety, don't be a lop, officer safety.

Career killers: Booze, broads and bills.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Advice?

Good point. Time off is your life. Have fun while you're on the job.

If you'd like, IM me your email. I'll send you a document called something like "Things I wish I knew as a Rookie." It's a long word document, but worth a read.

I'm a new hire in my town's SO & would be interested in the Rookie memo.
Thanks, 7mm

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Get rid of your public Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc. Make everything private such that nothing is visible about you including your location. Keep everything you put up there respectful, sensible, and professional and your "friends" should be those only those who truly are your friends and family. Pull down any pictures, videos, postings that you wouldn't want to have published on the front page of the paper. Don't post any pictures of yourself in uniform or anything to tie you to the job.  Remove yourself from others' tags.  You're not a line worker that can post pictures of your Vegas vacation and how many strippers you can fit in your car.

True, your personal life is your personal life, but you have to realize that you are held to a higher standard than the rest of the populace. And rest assured you will at some point piss off somebody through a legitimate arrest or citation that will want to try to knock you down. They likely won't confront you in person but they may try to use any social networking sites against you and try to complain to IA about you. Don't give 'em anything to run with.

Follow your department's policies and don't do things that gets a new policy named after you.

You are not married to your department––mistakes happen, but expect them to jettison you if you cause them too much grief.

Realize it's not as bad as it seems. You don't get calls for service because Sally got straight A's on her report card and they are having a cake and ice cream celebration––or maybe dispatch just saves those calls for FD. No, it's when Suzie is raging out at her parents that never acted like a parent in the last 15 years and they want you to come by and fix all their parental failures in 10 minutes. It's the old 99/1 rule: 99% of your time is taken up by 1% of the population.

It's hard to do something for 40+ hours a week and not have it bleed over into your personal life. It will happen to some degree, but you need to have a healthy outlet to keep it from dominating your personality. Hobbies, exercise, and other activities that give you something to do and talk about other than the job.  You will laugh at scenes with a dead body and blood everywhere, get an adrenaline high taking down some thug that had nothing to loose and decided to fight you,  get a case involving a child victim that fills you full of rage, or deal with a drunk that fill you with contempt after he knocks his wife around (who even with a black-eye also tries to protect him).  Sometimes in the same night.  The key is keeping your emotions isolated from the task at hand which is much easier said than done.  Mind you don't be an emotionless robot, but use your emotions to help victims, empathize with them, but don't allow them to cloud your judgement.

There's good and bad but ultimately it's a great job and there is fun to be had doing it.

One thing to keep in mind: If it feels good to say, it's probably the wrong thing to say.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#30]
One could write a book about how to do it right.  Pay attention to your TOs and older guys.  Don't be lazy.  Trust your instincts.  Keep friends and activities outside the job.  Stay off booze and pills.  Work out.  Don't get killed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#31]
as others have said, listen to your fto's. the academy teaches you to pass the license exam, fto's teach you how to do the job. that being said, you need to have a working knowledge of the law to even come close to being effective in the field. so, in layman's terms...know your shit and how to apply it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top