Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 4:05:56 PM EDT
and it is scary with respect to who wants a permit and why.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You're a manipulative person, aren't you?

Fine, I'll beg.  TELL US THE STORY!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
well, it sounds like you have some good stories, so let's hear them.  the gun store thread is dying down, so this looks like a good chance for more laughs
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You have the discretion to refuse to sign the app.

(This thread is giving me flashbacks)

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
well, it sounds like you have some good stories, so let's hear them.  the gun store thread is dying down, so this looks like a good chance for more laughs

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to my class and over 75% of the dudes were over 60.  Only couple of other guys and myself were younger.  And only 2 of us were under 40.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
i took mine last year when i was 22 years old and weighing in at about 202 pounds.

my instructor was in his late 60s. every scenerio he desribed of an attack was "a person at my age is no match for a 200 pound 22 year old guy who wants my wallet"

WTF???  did i seem like i wanted to take his wallet?

anyways... my friend who was with me had already gone through law enforcement training and when it came down to the time to shoot... the two other guys were in their 40s-50s and barely passed the shooting test,  me and my friend aced it which made the older guys look pissed off. practice practice practice....

so tell us, why did these people want a CCW permit and who shot their toes off?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
We're still waiting...  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tag

How does tag work for non-team members?

Tag for me too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess we'll have to make crap up.

He taught a class, and one guy said, "Yo, dat be a glock foh-ty, dog!  Dat's tight!  Hey, wut's dat ting stickin' up in da back?"
"It's called a sight."
"Si-et?  Wha' da hell iz dat?  I dun' wanna lern 'bout no fancy crap, I jus' wanna learn how'da shoo' da gat!"
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I am certified to teach the NRA basic pistol. This is what is required in Ct for a permit. (along with various other paperwork) I could run classes and charge a fee to feed my habit (BRD), but chose not to because I don't feel I am up to speed with the liability/legal side of everything . I will give a class a couple times a year for friends or friends of friends but I just don't want the hassle of finding out if a bunch of strangers that I might be teaching are a bunch of nuts or want to be Rambos.
It is only natural that as folks get older they feel they are less able to handle a situation that they could have handeled ok when they were younger  and /or stronger. Could be their neighborhood isn't as nice as it once was.
Sometimes the money for an expensive hobby is not available untill later on in life .
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
DId you tell 'em....

"Ahh am de only one in this room pro-feshnul enuf for da Glock Foo-dee"      ????

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#14]
some homeboy rolled into the class with a gold plated "deagle" and a gold grill to match.  This homeboy was about 5'1 and 110 lbs, and was dead set on CCW the "deagle"  fo-sho
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Yo!  Where da beamz?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yo!  Where da beamz?

Next to the jerky.
Just down the aisle from the Beanie Babies and the reproduction Nazi war memorabilia.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag

Tag for me too.

They get to add the page to favorites.

Tag

some homeboy rolled into the class with a gold plated "deagle" and a gold grill to match. This homeboy was about 5'1 and 110 lbs, and was dead set on CCW the "deagle" fo-sho

I let a friend borrow my .460 XVR when he took his concealed carry class, just for fun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Tag for me too.

My bad, I thought "tag" was ARFCOM for bump.  Damn newbies.

Now tell the CCW Stories!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, I paid the dues and now I can tag "fo reow".

Break out the CCW Class stories!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OK, I paid the dues and now I can tag "fo reow".

Break out the CCW Class stories!

Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#22]
tizzag
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#23]
you mean a blind grandma with a .357 is a bad thing?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I gotta hear this...just took my class last Friday. Spill the beans, man.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Now that I joined, I can tag this one, too.

We don't even have CCW, so I can only "carry" vicariously through you lucky dogs who can.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
you mean a blind grandma with a .357 is a bad thing?

Hell no!!  

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Tag

That's no tag.

This is a tag.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Most of the guys in my CCW class were pretty squared away.

That said, the instructor said this class was rare.

Most people that do thier CCW get qual'd and never
set foot on a range to practice, let alone attend professional
training, heance, they are, AFAIC, a danger to themselves and others.

This is why me, and, a few other members here stress training
to a degree that somtimes makes us misunderstood.

We aren't saying if you don't get training you're a bad person,
or you were responsible for the death of Dale Earnhart.

What we are saying is just that if you can afford a gun, ammo to go in it, and, money
for a permit, you could spring 300 bucks and, two days out
of your life in a years time to take at least one "Combat Handgun"
or similar course during the year.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#30]
goonboss

you'll learn a TON in a single handgun course.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Right on Goonboss. There is one guy down the ridge from me that thinks I have an anger problem because when we were out shooting in the yard, I did a speed reload(gasp) twice. I ran three Glock mags into a pumpkin, and when I'm done he tells me that I have an anger problem. Every time the topic of concealed carry comes up, he shakes his head and acts like I'm the craziest person on earth. He's new up here, so I guess it'll take time to get him converted over to the dark side. He was looking at me like I was an alien when I told a few of the guys about my combative pistol and other classes I have taken. He even seemed perturbed when I showed him my Surefire that I carry everywhere, and told him what it can do, like it was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard.
It's hard to understand the importance of real training until you've had some. It never ceases to amaze me that people judge me in a negative light for training to use my gun. It's like I've broken some unspoken tabboo or something. Maybe real men don't need those fancy classes(even though they are usually populated by SWAT guys and fed types). I'll never get it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:03:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Right on Goonboss. There is one guy down the ridge from me that thinks I have an anger problem because when we were out shooting in the yard, I did a speed reload(gasp) twice. I ran three Glock mags into a pumpkin, and when I'm done he tells me that I have an anger problem. Every time the topic of concealed carry comes up, he shakes his head and acts like I'm the craziest person on earth. He's new up here, so I guess it'll take time to get him converted over to the dark side. He was looking at me like I was an alien when I told a few of the guys about my combative pistol and other classes I have taken. He even seemed perturbed when I showed him my Surefire that I carry everywhere, and told him what it can do, like it was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard.
It's hard to understand the importance of real training until you've had some. It never ceases to amaze me that people judge me in a negative light for training to use my gun. It's like I've broken some unspoken tabboo or something. Maybe real men don't need those fancy classes(even though they are usually populated by SWAT guys and fed types). I'll never get it.

Hell, even in the ARFCOM community training isn't taken very seriously by many.  One
glance at the "training" forum will tell you that.  It seems people would rather repeat things
they've heard, or just not use the most effective tool for a particular job rather than get
some training.

Most of the LEO types I've met at training were cliqueish, but, freindly enough....Which
is fine, becasue I'm not at a training class to make friends or network (both of which ARE possible), but to learn all I can.  My training goals are simple.

1-  To learn tactics and, skills to help me in my job.
2-  To learn #1 to protect my home and family.

As far as the classification your neighbor falls into......

Sounds like he thinks guns are icky
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Qualification at the range was canceled due to weather. I am almost certian this in its self will create several interesting stories.

Most of the people taking the course are women. Only one has any range time (not meant to be a sexist comment, only an observation). Only two of the males had range time.

Everytime we get to a Q&A session one person keeps saying, "I killed a man once" and then he asks his question.

Another keeps asking how to convert a semi to a full auto.

I think when we finally hammered in when and under what circumstances deadly force is acceptable. Most of the class was let down. I think they really wanted to be able to flash their gun when they saw fit.

No real stories just a bad gut feeling about the type of people wanting/getting/having a CCW.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
i took mine last year when i was 22 years old and weighing in at about 202 pounds.

my instructor was in his late 60s. every scenerio he desribed of an attack was "a person at my age is no match for a 200 pound 22 year old guy who wants my wallet"

WTF???  did i seem like i wanted to take his wallet?

anyways... my friend who was with me had already gone through law enforcement training and when it came down to the time to shoot... the two other guys were in their 40s-50s and barely passed the shooting test,  me and my friend aced it which made the older guys look pissed off. practice practice practice....

so tell us, why did these people want a CCW permit and who shot their toes off?

The size/age scenerio came up in this class. Most were surprised to fit out that you can not use deadly force to protect property.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#35]

As far as the classification your neighbor falls into......

Sounds like he thinks guns are icky

That's the part I don't get. (I don't feel bad hijacking this thread because it seems to be on hold right now) This guy owns a good number of firearms. He has a quite a few really nice deer rifles, and even has a pistol with a cheap nylon Uncle Mike's holster. The rest of my neighbors and I have taken him shooting with AR's and even some class three stuff, and he loved it. He was even considering an AR after the last time we shot. I think he got four or five deer this year, and I would run into him in the woods all the time hunting. But, when I did a little shoot on the move drill with my AR he seemed disturbed by it and said, "You're a bully". I'm a very laid back guy, and can't imagine how I'd ever come across as a bully. I'm the opposite of a bully, but I think that when he sees a weapon employed for anything but sporting reasons he gets scared or something. No one else even thought twice about my shooting. It was pretty benign, just a little 180 turn, and advance on target from 25 to 15 with five rounds going into the target. One of the guys shooting with us is a fed, and another one was a CIA operative in Vietnam. Those two in particular were having fun with the drills.

We did get him to try some timed draw and fire drills with a pistol from the 3 yard line with me and the fed. He seemd to really like those. We had some comic relief when the fed drew from his issued paddle holster while wearing sweatpants and no belt. The holster came out with his Sig. He had to run and get his belt.

I'll keep working on him. My goal is to get him to carry.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Qualification at the range was canceled due to weather. I am almost certian this in its self will create several interesting stories.

Most of the people taking the course are women. Good!Only one has any range time (not meant to be a sexist comment, only an observation).  Not uncommon Only two of the males had range time. Shameful, but, again, not uncommon

Everytime we get to a Q&A session one person keeps saying, "I killed a man once" and then he asks his question.  "Sir, it's not necessary to preface all your questions with "I killed a man once."  The focus of this class is to train people in the legal and safe use of a firearm in self defense in hopes of not killing anyone."

Another keeps asking how to convert a semi to a full auto.  "Sir, doing such a thing is a federal crime and, will not be discussed or mentioned in this class any further.  One further mention of this will result in you being asked to leave this class."

I think when we finally hammered in when and under what circumstances deadly force is acceptable. Most of the class was let down. I think they really wanted to be able to flash their gun when they saw fit.  Knowledge sucks somtimes.  At least now they have it.

No real stories just a bad gut feeling about the type of people wanting/getting/having a CCW.

As long as they are lawful citizens, it is thier RTKABA.  I've heard lots of bad stories from
CCW instructors too.  The best thing you can do is give them a grounding in the law, and, their responsibilities and, hope they get some training.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#37]
i had  a few "interesting" people in my class.. people who couldnt hit the target at 15"
people who didnt want to "kill" anyone, just wanted to "wound" them..
and a few others..
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#38]

The size/age scenerio came up in this class. Most were surprised to fit out that you can not use deadly force to protect property.

Really?

Holy cats.....Move to TX man!

We sure can here!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Gee, I guess that means you and Diane Feinstein have a lot in common.  She thinks SHE is the one who determines who does and who does not "need" a firearm.

Look at some of the posts on this thread.  Same crap the libs say.  Except some of yall want the peasants to spend money on "training", the libs want you to be "LEO" or "military" or "a professional".

Me?  I want you to be an American with no criminal record.

How many of those that use the CCW to thwart a crime each year are "tactical" and a Ayoob or whatever graduate?  [crickets] [/crickets]

Originally Posted By Goonboss
Most people that do thier CCW get qual'd and never
set foot on a range to practice, let alone attend professional
training, heance, they are, AFAIC, a danger to themselves and others.

A danger to themselves and others? Got a link to all the deaths last week as CCW noobs killed dozens of people?

Glad some of you aren't in charge of approving CCW's.  Reminds me too much of some local sheriffs around the country that prompted "shall issue" laws being passed in the last few years instead of the "may issue" crap.

Training is good, but is not a requirement IMO.  Or perhaps grammar training and proficiency should be required before posting on the internet?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#40]
My class ( if I remember right) was mixed people.
all age and Race

Funniest was a one legged VET with all his pins and war stories. Must have been 60 or so .
3 women that had NEVER shot a pistol.
2 other truck drivers ( me makes 3)

Everyone was walking around with the thigh rigs
1 truck driver was telling me and the other driver (Schnieder - the orange trucks) that we cannot carry a pistol in a Comm vehicle . And was getting PISSED when I would laugh at him.

One woman and the vet kept sweeping the crowd, I ended up sitting behind a cement water manhole thingy.

There were very scary people there, the range time took al day 'cause they had to give basic pistol handling instruct. to most.
Danny (instr.) made me and 3 other guys go last. " I want you guys to go last so I can unwind before I gotta drive back to the store"

I felt sorry for the guy next to me as I was shootin' my P345 ( now sold) my brass kept landing in the neck of his shirt. I am 5'8" and he was 6'3" and he was on my right. tried to get him to trade before we shot, "no I'll be OK"  

When we were done, he lifted his shirt to show 5 or 6 little burn marks. I bought him lunch to make up for it
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#41]

A danger to themselves and others? Got a link to all the deaths last week as CCW noobs killed dozens of people?

Glad some of you aren't in charge of approving CCW's.  Reminds me too much of some local sheriffs around the country that prompted "shall issue" laws being passed in the last few years instead of the "may issue" crap.

Training is good, but is not a requirement IMO.  Or perhaps grammar training and proficiency should be required before posting on the internet?

Dude, if you think that it's the best option for a person to pop off a few rounds at CCW
qualification and they say they are qualified to survive a gunfight, well, I guess that there's really nothing I can say to make you understand that you are wrong.

I think untrained people walking around with weapons are potentially fatal accidents waiting to happen.  Note;  I did not say I was not in favor of letting them carry.  I think you just half read
a few things and went off like you did without understanding what I meant.

If you think that having a person on the street getting into a gunfight without the ability to
consistantly put rounds COM into a perp, rather than send them everywhere BUT the perp is a good idea, carry on.

It's almost as good an idea to give a 10 year old access to a chainsaw and tell him.."good luck!"
when you send him out to the woods.  No potential for somthing bad to happen there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Bubba, I hope I didn't give you the wrong idea with my posting. I think training is great, and it made a big difference for me with regards to how I carried, and what I carried, and gave me more confidence carrying because I had a better understanding of what I could and couldn't do with my pistol. That's just me. What you want to do is up to you. I just don't like to be judged for my choice to train.

I personally don't think that there should be ANY laws restricting who carries a gun. I don't think that a permit should be needed either. If a felon has served his time, he should be able to carry. If he's still a threat to society, he needs to be back in prison, or hanging from a gallow.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with poking fun at people that choose to carry, and are barely capable of functioning a weapon, much less using it to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, no stories.... I'm taking my first CCW class this afternoon. I was hoping for a primer.

Oh, BTW, tag.

Yep, it works for me too!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I remember my CCW class. I was one of two men, with four women. The other guy was in his 60s, and didn't seem to grasp the safety rules, esp. keeping your finger off of the trigger. I shot the best group, desipte having never shot a handgun before (I had been practicing with airsoft for months).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I honestly trusted the other students more than my instructor when I qualified. Nice enough guy, but I didn't get the feeling that everything he taught was correct. Is it really true I can't carry a Kershaw with a torsion bar to assist opening when I carry my pistol?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#46]
I plan on becoming certified to give CCDW classes here in Kentucky.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Everytime we get to a Q&A session one person keeps saying, "I killed a man once" and then he asks his question.

Well that sounds interesting.

"I killed a man once. Where's the bathroom?"
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
some homeboy rolled into the class with a gold plated "deagle" and a gold grill to match.  This homeboy was about 5'1 and 110 lbs, and was dead set on CCW the "deagle"  fo-sho

Normally people who play counterstrike call Desert eagles Deagles. Not wanna be Gangsters.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#49]
In my CCW class we had somewhere around a dozen people shpw up. One was a guy from California who didn't look so good, in fact I don't think last nights party was quite over yet. The instructors were a husband/wife team and she was in back at the desk taking payments. He went back and next thing she is yelling "can I get some help here?" We got  him before he hit the floor.  They excused him and told him they'd do the class for free if he came back.

Cool thing was there was a blackwater guy just back from the box and his car broke down. He rode to the range with me and I milked the stories. I didn't know you could almost squeeze grooves into the handguards of an M4.

At the range the instructors would offer pointers to those qualifying and I wondered why they left me alone. He told me on the way back the instructor was standing behind me nodding approval. (First cut a hole for the right eye, then the left eye...)

Got to shoot the instructors G17 select fire conversion too. It was a good day.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Dude, if you think that it's the best option for a person to pop off a few rounds at CCW
qualification and they say they are qualified to survive a gunfight, well, I guess that there's really nothing I can say to make you understand that you are wrong.

I think untrained people walking around with weapons are potentially fatal accidents waiting to happen.  Note;  I did not say I was not in favor of letting them carry.  I think you just half read
a few things and went off like you did without understanding what I meant.

If you think that having a person on the street getting into a gunfight without the ability to
consistantly put rounds COM into a perp, rather than send them everywhere BUT the perp is a good idea, carry on.

It's almost as good an idea to give a 10 year old access to a chainsaw and tell him.."good luck!"
when you send him out to the woods.  No potential for somthing bad to happen there.

Well, since most CCW holders will NEVER get in a gun fight, all this "training" is a bit academic.  

CCW does not equal a gunfight.  Read Lott's book for  starters.

If training was the end all be all, I guess that means LEO wins every gunfight since the perps have never had formal training.

I didn't half read your post, but I did sense a feeling (and if I am wrong, I sincerely apologize) that only the gun elite (instead of the liberal elite )" are professional enough to carry a glock fortay".

Hmmm, I have never shot up a classroom.  Just how much training did Officer Fortay have?

Training is good, don't get me wrong, but it is certainly not the magic voodoo many make it out to be.  

And to be the ultimate in AR15.com heretics, I think the money and time spent on most  "tactical training" would be better spent on 72hour of emergency supplies for you and your family.

The chainsaw/kids is a poor analogy.  A better analogy is when I put a whistle and mylar blanket in my kids waistpacks  and give them brief instructions on what to do if lost.  Then we go hiking, when we get back from our hike, the items are still in the packs, unused.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top