Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2002 5:52:32 PM EDT
To comply to with the restirctive gun laws of our country I decided to take the canadian gun safety course.  The course was quite easy and based on common sense.  I made a 100% on the written test and 98% on the handling test.  Since I am only 16 i can not get a PAL yet, however, I can get a minors permit and wait until I am 18 to get a PAL.  I also want to get my restricted firearms course before I am 18 so I won't have to wait to start builing a nice collection.  Right no I do have 2 .22s and a single shot 12 gauge to my name.  My father owns a .22 and a Marlin 336 lever action carbine.
I want to get into long range shooting but the price of factory ammunition up here is absurd.  I don't even want to know what match quality stuff would cost.  Any suggestions for an accurate <1MOA rifle that is relatively cheap and has ammo availbile cheaply in Canada.  I was thinking about something in the way of a fast .22 (.223 or .22-250 maybe).  
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard Justin! BTW my 8 year old son is Justin as well, we are in the process of building him his very own AR.  So far we have the lower half with telestock finished.

When you say long range shooting what exactly are you talking about?  

In Ontario 200 yards is considered to be a long range for most clubs.  ( mine is building a 350 yard range and it will be one of the longest in Southwestern Ont)

If you want really accurate I would go for a Ruger No 1.

Perhaps you should get a copy of Canadian Access to find some good used deals.

Personally you would not be doing bad with an Enfield. They are cheap and you can buy ammo at Canadian tire.

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Beauty eh.  I never thought the Canadian safety course would teach anyone anything.....they are simply trying to discourage gun usage. However, congratulations to the both of you.... I fear you are a dying breed in the great white north.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Justin:

IME, it will be hard to beat the Savage rifles in accuracy for the price.  The FP10/FP110 in .223 is a worth a look.  This setup (with quality sights) should be capable to 400 meters or a bit more.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Aimless that is why I wanted to know just how LONG his LONG range was going to be.....

We Canadians can get any ammo you can get other than AP and explosive tip.

Justin....have you considered looking into your local reserve unit?  Its a great part time job for students and you get PAID to learn how to shoot!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top