Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/23/2004 5:34:28 PM EST
I've got whip marks all over my chest and back from lots and lots of "drills". They're actually somewhat fun, for a while, but hurt like shit. Especially if you've got "tough guys" in your class. Anyway, my neighbor is a Kun Tao instructor and has a dojo in his garage, teaches every tues, and thurs night. He asked me to come join him and I went. I always wanted to learn self defense techniques for my own good. Anyway I learned first hand how the new guy is treated. I had to keep up and did pretty good, but I haven't gotten hit that hard since my last fight in 6th grade. I am black and blue already on my back and chest, but I think it makes me tougher. One of the drills included a guy in front of you with a spear (actually a pole with padded end made to resemble a spear). Well he thrusts this at you and you have to try and move side to side and avoid it. My abs took a beating on this one, lol. And the madder I got, the faster and quicker I moved. So I learned lots tonight. Going to rest now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:36:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:37:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:38:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:43:12 PM EST
exactly, most of these drills are to develop speed. Kun Tao supposedly relies on total explosiveness over an opponent and to drop him fast and hard. The "whip" marks are actually hand slaps that are called whips. Hurt like I mofo. If you ever watched WWF wrestling, they are kind of like the hand slap accross the chest that Triple H did, lol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:36:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:04:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Sounds interesting, a buddy of mine who's been in a lot of scraps always said to get the other guy down fast because you can kick harder than you can hit, and unlike your hands, you won't break a bone kicking.

Hammer fist and palm heel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:23:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By A2sights:
exactly, most of these drills are to develop speed. Kun Tao supposedly relies on total explosiveness over an opponent and to drop him fast and hard. The "whip" marks are actually hand slaps that are called whips. Hurt like I mofo. If you ever watched WWF wrestling, they are kind of like the hand slap accross the chest that Triple H did, lol.

Sounds interesting, a buddy of mine who's been in a lot of scraps always said to get the other guy down fast because you can kick harder than you can hit, and unlike your hands, you won't break a bone kicking.

Your hands/elbows/head/etc do have one big advantage over your feet, though. You can use any of them and keep a strong base to stand on.
Top Top