Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:16:51 PM EDT
They had a DUI checkpoint set up down the road from my house.  The police were out in force (local, county, and state) and they had those huge lights set up.  I noticed two police cars sitting in an empty parking lot presumably to pull over people who tried to avoid the checkpoint.    If you turn off before a checkpoint is that enough cause to pull you over?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't break any laws while avoiding the checkpoint.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They had a DUI checkpoint set up down the road from my house.  The police were out in force (local, county, and state) and they had those huge lights set up.  I noticed two police cars sitting in an empty parking lot presumably to pull over people who tried to avoid the checkpoint.    If you turn off before a checkpoint is that enough cause to pull you over?

Avoiding the checkpoint is not enough cause to pull someone over. Committing a traffic violation (usually banging out a U-turn) does however.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Avoiding the checkpoint is not enough cause to pull someone over. Committing a traffic violation (usually banging out a U-turn) does however.

That is what I thought.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Slur your speech and appear inattentive, sluggish and distracted when you're in the car. Then absolutely ace every field sobriety test they can throw at you and blow clean on the breathalyzer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn commies
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I think its a state-by-state thing. IIRC in New Mexico avoiding the checkpoint is probable cause to pull you over. They are VERY active in DUI prevention here!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
They WILL find something to pull you over for.... Even if it is " It did not look like your seatbelt was on"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Slur your speech and appear inattentive, sluggish and distracted when you're in the car. Then absolutely ace every field sobriety test they can throw at you and blow clean on the breathalyzer.

I'm exactly the type of guy who would do this. Will the police kick my ass?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think its a state-by-state thing. IIRC in New Mexico avoiding the checkpoint is probable cause to pull you over. They are VERY active in DUI prevention here!

That's because we have a HUGE problem with it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
if they see you pull off before the checkpoint they will come after you thinking your trying to avoid them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I will give them one thing, from a tactical standpoint the trooper had a good position.  He stood so only his head was visible and I had to look up and almost over my shoulder to see him.  In doing this I was looking right into the giant lights and at the same time the lights were shinning down and illuminating the inside of my vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I free to go?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I free to go?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Am I being detained? Am I being detained? Am I being detained? Am I being detained? Am I free to go? Am I being detained? Am I being detained? Am I free to go? Am I being detained? Am I being detained? Am I being detained?

Yeah I thought about ARFCOM when he was asking "Where are you coming from" and "Where are you heading".
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Pretty sure when SCOTUS ruled it unconstitutional but we are going to allow it anyway, they said you needed to leave an escape route........
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They will arrest on impairment if they feel they have probable cause of "impairment".  You will be cuffed and stuffed.  Then if you refuse to blow or have blood drawn, they will keep you.  Oh, and while you were downtown at booking, they will search your car.  Without your permission.

Don't do it.  Not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Where ya at in OH?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think its a state-by-state thing. IIRC in New Mexico avoiding the checkpoint is probable cause to pull you over. They are VERY active in Civil Rights infringement!

fixed
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They will arrest on impairment if they feel they have probable cause of "impairment".  You will be cuffed and stuffed.  Then if you refuse to blow or have blood drawn, they will keep you.  Oh, and while you were downtown at booking, they will search your car.  Without your permission.

Yeah I think it would be one of those cases where you might be the rap but you won't beat the ride.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Illegal in Michigan.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#20]
they used to do those things a lot here a few years ago.  i haven't seen one in a LONG time.     then again, i live in the sticks.    
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Where ya at in OH?

Cincinnati area.  This checkpoint was on the eastside actually in Clermont county.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I think it would be one of those cases where you might be the rap but you won't beat the ride.

Yep, and anything they don't like in your vehicle is fair game.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where ya at in OH?

Cincinnati area.  This checkpoint was on the eastside actually in Clermont county.

Gotcha!  I know they had on in Hamilton last night.  Thought they might be running the one on Route 4 in South Fairfield tonight at well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was young and very dumb I avoided a check point. I wasn't drunk, but things inside the car weren't kosher  I turned into a neighborhood to turn around and was followed for about two miles. Never was pulled over.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#25]
IIRC there was a supreme court case on this. I can't cite it, though.

Again, IIRC, if you're following the rules of the road, you're good to go. I believe in the facts of the case the driver pulled into his own driveway just before a DUI checkpoint (was drunk), and the cops go him, but it was ruled an illegal stop.

I hope that's right
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where ya at in OH?

Gotcha!  I know they had on in Hamilton last night.  Thought they might be running the one on Route 4 in South Fairfield tonight at well.

I think they are.  At least that is what I heard.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Remember, the Force can have a strong influence on the weak minded.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#28]
They will find an excuse to pull you over if you avoid the checkpoint.  "You didn't have your turn signal far enough in advance", etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

No- blatantly unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Hide" a little baggie of powdered sugar with a note attached to it in your car, just in case they ever do search it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here it depends.  Turning into a church parking lot to avoid a checkpoint at 12:00 am is enough to stop someone.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here it depends.  Turning into a church parking lot to avoid a checkpoint at 12:00 am is enough to stop someone.

May be "legal" for you cops, but it is still bullcrap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Hide" a little baggie of powdered sugar with a note attached to it in your car, just in case they ever do search it.

Let me know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I was pulled over, but it was a case of profiling and profiling is bad.  Turns out they were targeting every car driving down that sidewalk.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me know how that works out for you.

If a cop ever searches my car, it WILL be because I was unjustly arrested or he searched it without probable cause to suspect me of any crime.  I don't drive drunk, I don't do drugs, and I would feel perfectly confident blowing into a breathalyzer.

So tell me.  Who is the one thats going to be in trouble after a cop finds a bag of powdered sugar in my vehicle which he unlawfully searched?  Me or the cop?  The baggie will be evidence alright.  Evidence of his violation of my civil rights.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I would flip a bitch right in front of them just to fuck with them....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

False - I can tell you that is why I turned into a church lot - makes no difference at all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Your papers.....Are not in order.

Congratulations on not drinking and driving....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I like these check points and the ones that check for illegal aliens and people with warrants no Driver License ETC ETC
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No- blatantly unconstitutional.

Depends on the State, Some state's allow "chase cars" to  pull you over for avoiding the checkpoint.

"Turning into a parking lot to evade a checkpoint is cause for an investigatory stop." People v. Chaffee, 590 N.Y.S.2d 625 (A.D. 4 Dist. 1992)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Possibly under the influence of controlled substances?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

False - I can tell you that is why I turned into a church lot - makes no difference at all.
Funny, I get convictions on it quite frequently.  Like others have said, it is state dependent.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#44]
It's been 20 years ago since I was subjected to one of these.   Back then they let a certain number of people pass through these unmolested.  Is that still true?

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I free to go?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I free to go?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?
Am I being detained?

+1

And bring a pack of cigarettes so you can blow smoke in the Gestapo officer's face while he's interrogating you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It's been 20 years ago since I was subjected to one of these.   Back then they let a certain number of people pass through these unmolested.  Is that still true?

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

It looked liked they were stopping everyone heading in one direction (west) and having an officer come up to your window and make contact with you and give you a little card.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#47]
There was an episode of Cops where a cop pulled over a guy and he had a bag of powdered sugar in his car. He was arrested for poession of counterfeit narcotics
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm glad we don't have DUI checkpoints around here. It's a blatant violation of our constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Boring, I was expecting this thread to be about the OP's new brush guard.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top