Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2017 11:46:24 AM EDT
And that's with them on sale.

Attachment Attached File

I hope it's worth it. Should be better than my Kelly pack.

And a day after buying a Sitka beanie.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
nice. i thought i was crazy for spending 200 on a tenzing fanny pack. they are well worth the money though
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I liked my 3200.  Could never cure the squeak :(

what hunt are you going on?

my 3200 wore really well and handled training loads no problem
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nice. i thought i was crazy for spending 200 on a tenzing fanny pack. they are well worth the money though
View Quote
It's nothing compared to something like Kifaru, but my wife would not be happy with me buying a backpack that expensive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's nothing compared to something like Kifaru, but my wife would not be happy with me buying a backpack that expensive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta find someone selling Kifaru. I have one, and there was no other way I would ever have convinced
Myself to buy it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I liked my 3200.  Could never cure the squeak :(

what hunt are you going on?

my 3200 wore really well and handled training loads no problem
View Quote
This year it's antelope, elk, mule deer and possibly buffalo, waiting to find if I drew for that. Hunting from September through mid December. 3-4 nights max.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought I was crazy for buying 2 Rush 72’s for $144, new.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#7]
just deer and elk this year. was hoping for lope but didnt have the time off so i saved the points
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
My Kifaru was worth every penny.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lucky bastard. whatcha hunting?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lucky bastard. whatcha hunting?
View Quote
Most recently, chipmunks that are tearing the shit out of the front yard 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
If the "budget" gear you need to settle on is Kuiu, you're still doing pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#12]
got a Hill People Gear Ute pack a while back, was well worth it. That's about $400 IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the "budget" gear you need to settle on is Kuiu, you're still doing pretty good.
View Quote
Here's last years pack on the right. Attachment Attached File

And that's not everything. I brought my tent, bag and pad in earlier. I've since upgraded quite a bit to get everything able to go in on one trip. Pretty ghetto but it worked and I tagged out last year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Kifaru Zulu here. With long pockets, E&E, cargo chair (meat chair) $725 about 10 years ago. Best pack I have ever had.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kifaru Zulu here. With long pockets, E&E, cargo chair (meat chair) $725 about 10 years ago. Best pack I have ever had.
View Quote
What's your torso size? I'm on the long end of the spectrum and am worrying the 22" on the kuiu won't be long enough.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Kifaru would have been easily double $$.

I'm not sure they can really be that good.  I'm sure they are good, but damn.

I was just on the Kuiu site last night lusting over the 1800ci pack.
That's really all I need for my hunts.  About 4 bills.

If I had just bought a good pack first, I would not have wasted 4 bills on cheaper ones that suck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been extremely happy with my Mystery Ranch dragon slayer.

I looked at Kifaru and Kuiu packs... I just like MR designs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Now you'll have to buy a complete outfit in matching camo if you want any instagram cred.

And some mountaineering boots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been extremely happy with my Mystery Ranch dragon slayer.

I looked at Kifaru and Kuiu packs... I just like MR designs.
View Quote
My personal opinion is when people start looking at Kifaru, Kuiu, Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, HPG, etc. packs is that it's usually more of picking a pack that has the features and fit best suited to that person.  Quality is pretty excellent across any of these premium hunting pack makers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My personal opinion is when people start looking at Kifaru, Kuiu, Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, HPG, etc. packs is that it's usually more of picking a pack that has the features and fit best suited to that person.  Quality is pretty excellent across any of these premium hunting pack makers.
View Quote
I had an Eberlestock  Gunslinger II and it wasn't well laid out in my opinion.  I sold that for my first MR.  Now I have 2 MR packs, my dragon slayer and their urban assault pack.

I wish the Urban assault pack was a tiny bit bigger. It's good for an over night / 2 day trip pack.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Now you'll have to buy a complete outfit in matching camo if you want any instagram cred.

View Quote
I have a pair of matching leg gators but my Mid layers  are some mossy oak pattern and my neck gator and beanie are Sitka. Hopefully I don't run into any homosexual hunters in the wilderness that will judge my unmatching attire.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a pair of matching leg gators but my Mid layers  are some mossy oak pattern and my neck gator and beanie are Sitka. Hopefully I don't run into any homosexual hunters in the wilderness that will judge my unmatching attire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  I'm the same way.  I just buy whatever technical hunting gear fits my needs and is on sale.  I'm used to being a complete mismatch.  I went to head out one morning and my SO started giving me crap about my matching outfit - I had just happened to grab outer layer pants, shirt and hat that were all the same pattern.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Ive heard nothing but good things about those.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had an Eberlestock  Gunslinger II and it wasn't well laid out in my opinion.  I sold that for my first MR.  Now I have 2 MR packs, my dragon slayer and their urban assault pack.

I wish the Urban assault pack was a tiny bit bigger. It's good for an over night / 2 day trip pack.
View Quote
I actually don't care for my gunslinger 2 at all.  Its my range bag now.  My terminator and X3 are legit though.  

I have a mystery ranch 6500 and a kifaru daypack too, I'm eyeballing the kifaru AMR if I can find at least either the pack or frame for s decent price on eBay.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#25]
This is the Kuiu I am wanting, seems to be their only daypack.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What's your torso size? I'm on the long end of the spectrum and am worrying the 22" on the kuiu won't be long enough.
View Quote
 I cant find my paperwork atm and not sure if it would be listed on there, but its a Gen 1 Zulu. But just a quick measurement from top of shoulder to lower back 22", 6'1".
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I actually don't care for my gunslinger 2 at all.  Its my range bag now.  My terminator and X3 are legit though.  

I have a mystery ranch 6500 and a kifaru daypack too, I'm eyeballing the kifaru AMR if I can find at least either the pack or frame for s decent price on eBay.
View Quote
I use an old RAID pack as my range bag now, lol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  My Gen 1 EMR is phenomenal. I also love my Gen 1 Navigator.  Great packs that exceed everything else I've tried.  

I'd love to give Mystery Ranch a try too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I got all excited thinking "Alright, he bought a used Kifaru!"

I keed, I keed.

I bought a Kifaru Timberline 2 (non-duplex internal frame) from the Kifaru Rhino Den last year before my first backpack elk hunt in CO last fall. It was worth every penny of $425 I paid. Don't skimp on a good pack and boots that fit your feet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quality costs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Eberlestock is no where near on the same level as Kifaru.  I've owned and sold two of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Most I ever spent on a pack was 230 for my Eberlestock Halftrack. That looks fairly substantial, hope it works for you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Unless you need the structure for 50lbs+ of gear, I scoff at packs that weigh 7-10lbs empty. I've been using a $200 REI Flash 68 pack thats around 3lbs. I'm not a ultra light dweeb, but I looked at all my gear weight and the biggest margin for weight savings was to ditch my 7lb pack for this 3lbs one
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Eberlestock is no where near on the same level as Kifaru.  I've owned and sold two of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think it breaks down to what you're wanting, and overall I agree. For me: does it have a functional suspension (read load LIFTERS), how comfortable is it for standard use, how well does it haul heavy loads, how durable are the materials.

Quoted:
Unless you need the structure for 50lbs+ of gear, I scoff at packs that weigh 7-10lbs empty. I've been using a $200 REI Flash 68 pack thats around 3lbs. I'm not a ultra light dweeb, but I looked at all my gear weight and the biggest margin for weight savings was to ditch my 7lb pack for this 3lbs one
Intended use makes all the difference for sure. The other side of that coin is "If I'm packing out 80-100+ lbs of gear and boned out meat, 4 extra pack pounds is well worth it for comfort."
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Intended use makes all the difference for sure. The other side of that coin is "If I'm packing out 80-100+ lbs of gear and boned out meat, 4 extra pack pounds is well worth it for comfort."
View Quote
100%. Of course most of the time the weight is from bringing 10 brand new knives once a year into the wilderness for an overnighter
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

100%. Of course most of the time the weight is from bringing 10 brand new knives once a year into the wilderness for an overnighter
View Quote
Or in my case I should have chosen the lightest pack, left the rifle at home and spent the $650 non-resident tag money on hookers and blow since I was just armed hiking and an elk-less failure to my family at the end of the trip. :D

PS I think I recognize your screen name from another forum. Imagine that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Or in my case I should have chosen the lightest pack, left the rifle at home and spent the $650 non-resident tag money on hookers and blow since I was just armed hiking and an elk-less failure to my family at the end of the trip. :D

PS I think I recognize your screen name from another forum. Imagine that.
View Quote
BCUSA?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm feeling pretty beta with my X2.  Nice pack OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Explain to me exactly what this does that my $50 large ALICE pack and frame w/ kidney pad doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#41]
It weighs less and doesnt carry like shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Explain to me exactly what this does that my $50 large ALICE pack and frame w/ kidney pad doesn't.
View Quote
Can't say I've used an ALICE pack. Do you hunt? What animals, distance, elevation? How many days per year. Comfort is everything on long hunts.

When I carried my mule deer a measly 2 miles down a an elevation of 1500 feet, the 85 pounds of meat in addition to the rifle, bow, day pack, and Muley head really hurt that short distance.  Probably 120 pounds at least.

Elk hunting this season will be 6-7 miles in and a higher elevation.

ETA Last years mule deer
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lighter, more stable, lighter, more comfortable

I'm poor so I stick with osprey packs
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
The same difference as a 1977 F150 vs a 2017 F150.

Sure both work.

One's going to be way nicer to travel the country in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I spent $380 on an Eberlestock Battleship last year. A quality pack is worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Can't say I've used an ALICE pack. Do you hunt? What animals, distance, elevation? How many days per year. Comfort is everything on long hunts.

When I carried my mule deer a measly 2 miles down a an elevation of 1500 feet, the 85 pounds of meat in addition to the rifle, bow, day pack, and Muley head really hurt that short distance.  Probably 120 pounds at least.

Elk hunting this season will be 6-7 miles in and a higher elevation.
View Quote
When I've packed out meat, I haven't done it on my back. We strap it to a cart and wheel it back to the trucks. We might lug it up and down some rocks and across streams, but not for miles on end.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j1peu5o87700zk8a0104w&mi=11469&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fproduct%2Fhunting%2Fafter-the-shot%2Fgame-carts-carriers%7C%2Fpc%2F104791680%2Fc%2F104689980%2Fsc%2F104353380%2Fcabelas-deluxe-game-cart%2F1870761.uts
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We strap it to a cart and wheel it back to the trucks.
View Quote
Lol, we are talking about hunting the West in this thread. You aren't getting a cart anywhere out here.

*Proud Kifaru pack owner.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When I've packed out meat, I haven't done it on my back. We strap it to a cart and wheel it back to the trucks. We might lug it up and down some rocks and across streams, but not for miles on end.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j1pf4ni7az00zk8a0104w&mi=11469&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fproduct%2Fhunting%2Fafter-the-shot%2Fgame-carts-carriers%7C%2Fpc%2F104791680%2Fc%2F104689980%2Fsc%2F104353380%2Fcabelas-deluxe-game-cart%2F1870761.uts
View Quote
Had one.

It bent in half with a quarter of an elk on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And that's with them on sale.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184940/IMG-4350-190754.JPG

I hope it's worth it. Should be better than my Kelly pack.

And a day after buying a Sitka beanie.
View Quote
I have some of their gear, really light, good stuff.  I have some of the pants, gloves, socks.  Thumbs up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought a very lightly used S.O.C. Three Day Pass for $5.00 at a yard sale a couple of weeks back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top