Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 9:40:54 AM EDT
Shelby, my GSD/Border Collie mix. I knew it coming soon, but did not expect it today.

The hardest part was wrapping her up in her favorite blanket & putting the dirt over her.

Sorry, that is all I can say right now, I'm too shook up about it & crying like a little girl.

May you rest in peace girl.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain.

May God bless you and your lost friend!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I firmly believe a good dog companion is worth more than most humans.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that.

It's too bad that they're only here for a few short years, but think of the good times you guys had.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
i am sorry to hear that.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear that man.

I hate these threads. It reminds of the dogs I have lost and losing the two I have.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for your loss. Our Gretchen is going on 13 and showing signs of slowing down.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Sorry for you loss
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  Losing a dog is often harder than losing a person, at least for me, if the people I had met in life had only shown half the loyalty as the dogs I have owned.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry for your loss bro...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
My Lilly, a 13 year old basset hound is beginning to have problems getting around.  About the only thing she does with any enthusiasm anymore is pick on the Aussie Collie and eat.  I already have 3 at the bridge.  

Take a look at rescue dogs, they can be a pretty good friend.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
RIP Shelby
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for your loss.  I did the same in May to my Duchess.  

I was EXACTLY the same.  It gets easier but you never forget.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry for your loss.    
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#22]
sorry to hear that, stay strong
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry for your loss....and for those that can't understand, read this.

1870 Court Case

Although nothing can take the place of human friendship, we are fortunate in that the good Lord gave us even more than that in this earthly life if we wish to pursue it.

If you happen to take a trip to Warrensburg, Mo., you will see a statue erected on the courthouse lawn. No, it isn’t a statue to commemorate a war hero or a famous statesman. It just happens that it is a statue of a dog by the name of “Old Drum”.

It might seem a little strange and you might ask, “Why is there a statue of a dog in downtown Warrensburg?” The explanation is that in 1870, there was a court case called Burden vs. Hornsby. The case was about a dog by the name of Old Drum.

The story is told that Old Drum was a hound and the prized hunting dog of Charles Burden who loved his dog. Charles Burden sued Leonidas Hornsby, who was his brother-in-law, because Leonidas Hornsby’s nephew and ward, Samuel “Dick” Ferguson, shot and killed Old Drum.

Mr. Hornsby was familiar with Old Drum and even recognized that he was the best hunting dog around but he had sworn to kill any dog that came on his property because he thought there was a dog that was killing his sheep. One night Old Drum showed up on Mr. Hornsby’s property and the rest is history.
The trial was one of the most unusual trials in the country at that time and after many appeals, the case actually ended up in the Supreme Court of Missouri.

Charles Burden hired an attorney by the name of George Graham Vest who later became a senator, to represent him in court that was held in Warrensburg. Charles Burden won his case and was awarded $50 in damages.

The man who reportedly shot Old Drum later moved to Oklahoma where he died in the town of Anadarko. It seems somehow ironic that it was gunshot wounds that caused this man’s own death.

It is said that what won the case for Mr. Burden was when his attorney, George Graham Vest, made his final appeal to the jury where he eulogized the dog. It is said that his words brought the jury to tears. His words were as follows:

“Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith.

The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man’s reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honour when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

"Gentleman of the Jury, a man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side.

He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that encounters the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince.

When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

"If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies.

When the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

In case you have ever wondered where the idea came from that “A man’s best friend is his dog”, just travel over to Warrensburg, Missouri, and look up the history in the town that uses the motto, “Home of man’s best friend”. You will be able to see this for yourself as you approach the Johnson County Courthouse, for right there on the courthouse lawn is a statue of Charles Burden’s beloved best friend… “Old Drum”.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My Lilly, a 13 year old basset hound is beginning to have problems getting around.  About the only thing she does with any enthusiasm anymore is pick on the Aussie Collie and eat.  I already have 3 at the bridge.  

Take a look at rescue dogs, they can be a pretty good friend.

Our second Rottie was a rescue from MS after Katrina, he is the most loveable dog I have ever owned.  I treasure each moment with the dogs and all the other critters we have in our "zoo".  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Bummer man. Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#27]

So sorry for your loss.
Rest in peace Shelby.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn sorry to hear about your loss. I have several waiting at the bridge. May Shelby rest in peace.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm deeply sorry for your loss...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#30]
i feel you loss , my best bud passed away last year due to cancer.

the good always die young
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#31]
My best friend (border collie/lab) has been gone 10 years, I still get a chuckle thinking about how damn smart that dog was.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sorry for your loss....and for those that can't understand, read this.

1870 Court Case

Although nothing can take the place of human friendship, we are fortunate in that the good Lord gave us even more than that in this earthly life if we wish to pursue it.

If you happen to take a trip to Warrensburg, Mo., you will see a statue erected on the courthouse lawn. No, it isn’t a statue to commemorate a war hero or a famous statesman. It just happens that it is a statue of a dog by the name of “Old Drum”.

It might seem a little strange and you might ask, “Why is there a statue of a dog in downtown Warrensburg?” The explanation is that in 1870, there was a court case called Burden vs. Hornsby. The case was about a dog by the name of Old Drum.

The story is told that Old Drum was a hound and the prized hunting dog of Charles Burden who loved his dog. Charles Burden sued Leonidas Hornsby, who was his brother-in-law, because Leonidas Hornsby’s nephew and ward, Samuel “Dick” Ferguson, shot and killed Old Drum.

Mr. Hornsby was familiar with Old Drum and even recognized that he was the best hunting dog around but he had sworn to kill any dog that came on his property because he thought there was a dog that was killing his sheep. One night Old Drum showed up on Mr. Hornsby’s property and the rest is history.
The trial was one of the most unusual trials in the country at that time and after many appeals, the case actually ended up in the Supreme Court of Missouri.

Charles Burden hired an attorney by the name of George Graham Vest who later became a senator, to represent him in court that was held in Warrensburg. Charles Burden won his case and was awarded $50 in damages.

The man who reportedly shot Old Drum later moved to Oklahoma where he died in the town of Anadarko. It seems somehow ironic that it was gunshot wounds that caused this man’s own death.

It is said that what won the case for Mr. Burden was when his attorney, George Graham Vest, made his final appeal to the jury where he eulogized the dog. It is said that his words brought the jury to tears. His words were as follows:

“Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith.

The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man’s reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honour when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

"Gentleman of the Jury, a man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side.

He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that encounters the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince.

When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

"If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies.

When the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

In case you have ever wondered where the idea came from that “A man’s best friend is his dog”, just travel over to Warrensburg, Missouri, and look up the history in the town that uses the motto, “Home of man’s best friend”. You will be able to see this for yourself as you approach the Johnson County Courthouse, for right there on the courthouse lawn is a statue of Charles Burden’s beloved best friend… “Old Drum”.

Dog is man's best friend.  I go to school in Warrensburg.  I work right by the statue of Old Drum.  There are quite a few people who you can tell have travelled into town to see Old Drum.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you all for the kind words & your condolences.

It was especially gut wrenching for me last night & today cause I was up all night trying to do something for her, cause I could not get a hold of the "supposedly" 24hr Veterinarian, & by time the office opened today it was too late.

I understand things will get better & like others said I'll never forget her. Even though I can not find any of the pictures I've taken of her over the years I'll alway have a perfect image of her in my mind.

I'll miss the warm greetings when I come home & she meets me half way down the driveway & follows me home with her tail wagging all the way.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#36]
She was lucky to have you....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry for your loss.  Cherish the memories of the good times you had together.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#39]
My deepest sympathies for your loss.  I am dreading that day myself.  My oldest Golden girl turned 13 this month.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#40]
"he is your  friend, your partner, your dog. you
are his life, his love and his leader. he will be yours,
faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- unknown
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#41]
sorry for your loss
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top