Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2013 7:11:45 AM EDT
Went to a local place called Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket.  I've wanted to go there for a long time.  Found out they have a lobster special for Fridays.

Go there and the lobster special isn't till 4.  We went at around noon.

They wanted to charge my mom for lemons for her drink.  I had to take some lemons off the buffet for the fish(I ordered the lunch buffet anyway) so that she wouldn't have to get charged.

The chicken(that they're famous for) wasn't bad but just really meh.  They had pizza on their buffet but it had that crackery consistency to the crust and it just tasted meh.

They had some biscuits that were really not flavorful.

The show it was on? "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives."  Guess you can definitely call it a dive.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
meh
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a similar experience with a Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives restaurant. The Parkette Drive-in in Lexington, KY. Just very average fast food offerings. Fried fish, burgers, hotdogs. Not bad but not really special.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes the places on those shows are more important as local hangouts or tourist traps even than for their culinary prowess.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I watch Triple D and Man vs. Food quite a bit.

Have been to some of the restaurants featured and they were actually really good.

Went to a BBQ place in Memphis that was outstanding.  Forgot the name - it was over by the St. Jude Children's Hospital.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives is to reviewing restaraunts as ARF is to reviewing movies.
Good to know what is out there, but never spend money based on the reviews.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#7]
went to a diner in Denver that was featured on triple D and the food was OK diner food - meh
supposedly famous for it's green chile, it was only so-so

eta: but I do enjoy the show
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Amy's baking company is a prime example of this.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#9]
True, but some do live up to the hype.  Next time you are in San Diego head over to Blue Water Seafood Market.  It was shown on the same program and their food is outstanding
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amy's baking company is a prime example of this.
View Quote

You know, to be fair, Ramsey intentionally goes to shitty restaurants for that.

And most of the time the shittiness will resurface when he's gone, because the problems were with the owners all along.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#11]
And Ol' Deej get's a life's lesson in marketing, payola, and the TV industry.

Hopefully your parents don't give you too much shit about it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#12]
In portland Big ass sandwiches, PineState Biscuits, and Lardo lived up to their hype but they were on other shows. Bunk is a sandwich shop from Triple D it was so so. I think all the man meat has killed Guys tongue.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Guy Fieri  is a hack.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#14]
DDD food is just like the hero burgers you see on the menu board.  The actual stuff you get when Guy isn't there isn't going to be the same. Most of the stuff never looks special.  I have wanted to go to a few places.  Damn in house pastrami always gets my attention.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And Ol' Deej get's a life's lesson in marketing, payola, and the TV industry.

Hopefully your parents don't give you too much shit about it.
View Quote

My mom was ok but she shared my opinion-definitely a dive.  And it's definitely a kind of a hole in the wall place...it's on a frontage road to Interstate 55 across from an industrial park.

I did however go to Paula Deen's restaurant(before the whole lawsuit blowout) and Uncle Bubba's(her brother's place) and I found it FANTASTIC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The Cove in San Antonio was on DDD and is absolutely awesome.  Great beer selection too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
That Guy F dude is from around here (Sacramento) I think because he has a restaraunt nearby and I've seen him at a few local events. As such he's done DD&D at a few local places. None that I've been to are particularly amazing, but most have some sort of gimmick that is their claim to fame. One smothers their burgers in cheese and another is a so/so bar that hardly anyone knew served food. I was very unimpressed with the cheeseburger and then some well known local jackass lawyer in a wheelchair shut them down because the ancient building couldn't be made ADA compliant. They were able to open elsewhere but I haven't been there.

Guy's restaurant had pretty danged good food but is in a lousy part of town for a place like that so they closed and reopened with a new schitck. I haven't been since but would like to give it a try. It's supposed to have a garlic theme now rather than a southwest meets Americanized sushi style.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I tried Chester's in Branson, Mo on a DDD suggestion, and I have to say they make one hell of a Reuben sandwich
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Guy Fieri  is a hack.
View Quote
And hows your restaurant doing?

I don't care for his fusion style cooking but if he was making a living off of it before his break i wouldn't call him a hack. A sell out maybe but fuck if i was getting paid mad bank my ass and face would be all of the fucking place too.

ETA: The two place out here that were featured on DDD were great, a pizza joint in downtown Glendale and a chinse/mexican food place.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Some places live up. I'm sure some don't

Blue Ash Chili is pretty good.

Terry's Surf n Turf in Covington is awesome but always has a terrible wait and the dude is an asshole...but you kind of got to see that on the show.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't make freebie lemonade at the table.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I prefer the restaurants Anthony Bourdain visits.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Have been to some of the restaurants featured and they were actually really good.

Went to a BBQ place in Memphis that was outstanding.  Forgot the name - it was over by the St. Jude Children's Hospital.
View Quote
A hobby that my wife and I have is going to the places on Man vs. Food.  So far we've yet to find one that didn't live up to expectations.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Went to a local place called Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket.  I've wanted to go there for a long time.  Found out they have a lobster special for Fridays.  You went to a "Chicken Basket" for lobster?

Go there and the lobster special isn't till 4.  We went at around noon.  Research?

They wanted to charge my mom for lemons for her drink.  
I had to take some lemons off the buffet for the fish(I ordered the lunch buffet anyway) so that she wouldn't have to get charged
View Quote
.   She still "had to get charged"  you just stole the lemons instead of paying.

The chicken(that they're famous for) wasn't bad but just really meh.  They had pizza on their buffet but it had that crackery consistency to the crust and it just tasted meh.

The show it was on? "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives."  Guess you can definitely call it a dive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
He's an ass, but I'll take the Camaro.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A hobby that my wife and I have is going to the places on Man vs. Food.  So far we've yet to find one that didn't live up to expectations.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found out about www.tvfoodmaps.com earlier this year, and that is what led me to the place in Memphis.  Pretty cool site, you can search from dozens of food tv shows and map where you are or are going.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

meh
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Went to a local place called Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket.  I've wanted to go there for a long time.  Found out they have a lobster special for Fridays.

They wanted to charge my mom for lemons for her drink.  I had to take some lemons off the buffet for the fish(I ordered the lunch buffet anyway) so that she wouldn't have to get charged.

View Quote

I think I found the problem.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think I found the problem.
View Quote

It's not a buffet exclusively. They have a menu
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#30]
There's a diner/cafe place in my AO that basically serves TV dinner style meals.  No shit. Those Banquet chicken patties, goopy chemical gravy Salisbury steaks, frozen re-heated green beans, you name it.  Those little frozen cobbler deserts.  People rage about it and its always packed at lunchtime. "Home cooked meals" my ass. Went there once and it was enough for me.  Why pay $7.99 for a lunch when I could have gotten the TV dinner for $1.49 at WalMart and nuked it myself.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They wanted to charge my mom for lemons for her drink.  .   She still "had to get charged"  you just stole the lemons instead of paying.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They wanted to charge my mom for lemons for her drink.  
I had to take some lemons off the buffet for the fish(I ordered the lunch buffet anyway) so that she wouldn't have to get charged
.   She still "had to get charged"  you just stole the lemons instead of paying.

Perhaps I was "craftily trying to get around a charge" but fuck paying $1 for lemon.

The waitress said "I see you figured out how  getting charged for lemons" and she didn't charge us.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#32]
There was some BBQ place in Kansas City that is part of a convenience store. Lines out the door.. Was ok..... Not worth the wait....

ETA: Oklahoma Joes is the name.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been to several DDD restaurants in several stetes and they were all average at best... The only exception to this was Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor, TX. It was damned good, but in fairness, it is the only BBQ I had in Texas so i don't have anything to compare to, really.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That Guy F dude is from around here (Sacramento) I think because he has a restaraunt nearby and I've seen him at a few local events. As such he's done DD&D at a few local places. None that I've been to are particularly amazing, but most have some sort of gimmick that is their claim to fame. One smothers their burgers in cheese and another is a so/so bar that hardly anyone knew served food. I was very unimpressed with the cheeseburger and then some well known local jackass lawyer in a wheelchair shut them down because the ancient building couldn't be made ADA compliant. They were able to open elsewhere but I haven't been there.

Guy's restaurant had pretty danged good food but is in a lousy part of town for a place like that so they closed and reopened with a new schitck. I haven't been since but would like to give it a try. It's supposed to have a garlic theme now rather than a southwest meets Americanized sushi style.
View Quote

He lives in Santa Rosa and grew up in Ferndale, but does do a lot in Sac since he gas a restaurant there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

LMAO. great job with the improvised lemon solution.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#37]

"Dell Rhea's" sounds way too close to "diarrhea" for me to ever even consider eating there,

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LMAO. great job with the improvised lemon solution.
View Quote

Sorry, I think paying $1 for lemon is absurd.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't care for his fusion style cooking but if he was making a living off of it before his break i wouldn't call him a hack. A sell out maybe but fuck if i was getting paid mad bank my ass and face would be all of the fucking place too.

ETA: The two place out here that were featured on DDD were great, a pizza joint in downtown Glendale and a chinse/mexican food place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guy Fieri  is a hack.

LOL.

guy fieri IS a hack and a fuckhead. he's the britney spears of the cooking world and his endorsements are cheaper than miley cyrus' love. anyone who uses the phrase 'off the hook' as much as he does cannot be 'right.'

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've been to several DDD restaurants in several stetes and they were all average at best... The only exception to this was Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor, TX. It was damned good, but in fairness, it is the only BBQ I had in Texas so i don't have anything to compare to, really.
View Quote

BBQ in texas? Well, any port in a storm I guess, but I think I'd sooner just go to Mickey D's...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I knew about a pizza joint and a burger place around here before they were featured.  They both had temporary surges in popularity.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I've seen a number of the local places on those shows.  None of them are good enough to mark as a travel destination or go out of the way for.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've seen a number of the local places on those shows.  None of them are good enough to mark as a travel destination or go out of the way for.
View Quote

We had a local drive in called Frosted Mug.  I liked it, and it was on the show.

It's been closed now for a few years.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#44]
"The show it was on? "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives."

That's your problem right there. They aren't restaurants and Guy Fieri is recommending them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Guy Fieri  is a hack.
View Quote

Great SNL skit blasting his dumb ass
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I trust man versus food more than I trust guy faggetty.

I ate at Iquanas in San Jose last June on the way home from buying a car.

Was better than Chipotle in terms of a burrito.   Slightly bigger and just tasted better.  Was right around corner from the university so it is a draw to locals/students.

Their standard burrito is chipotle sized.   Their next burrito is about the length of your forearm.   Their biggest one is about 3feet long.

If i didnt have a 4 hour drive ahead of me, after already driving 4 hours to get car, i would have done the mid sized burrito.

Some of the Man versus Food shows have me almost salivating and thanking god there is no smell-o-vision.

Certain things on that show I can just tell are in keeping with expectations.   The mvf guy doesnt get dressed up and just looks like a guy who doesnt expect much but is grateful when things are beyond expectation.

I knew when I went to go get my car I wanted to hit one of the places from MVF.   We could have come out of the bay area a different way but instead did a slightly longer route to sanjose.   The drive through Gilroy in a new to me mustang was pretty nice too as opposed to the boring I5.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guy Fieri  is a hack.

Great SNL skit blasting his dumb ass

Is that the ugg boot filled with hotdogs skit?  Hilarious.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I had a similar experience with a Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives restaurant. The Parkette Drive-in in Lexington, KY. Just very average fast food offerings. Fried fish, burgers, hotdogs. Not bad but not really special.
View Quote

What you talking bout Willis?  Parkette is great. They're known for the chicken and it is fantastic. Have never had a bad meal there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#50]
My BIL and I make it a point to hit some of the restaurants that are in Bourdain's show "No Reservations".  Some are good and some are just ok.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top