Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2002 3:07:46 PM EDT
Been trying to nail this sucker for a little while now. The only shots I've gotten until now have been from a 2nd story window. I've been thinking I was a pretty lousy shot but there must be some type of effect I don't know about when it comes to shooting high-to-low or low-to-high.

Anyway, from 65-70 yards, with my Bushy M4gery, got him 1st shot. If I had a dig camera I'd post some yummy pics. Pretty near took his head off, eyeballs popping out and all.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
And the reason for this slaying?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
dinner
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
which wine goes best with filet of woodchuck?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thunderbird
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just read your post in the Ted Williams thread. I don't care for your opinion but being from Arizona, which went w/o a Major League baseball team until recently, I will accept that lack of heritage as a mitigating factor behind your reasoning.

The woodchuck has, until now, resided in a horse pasture. The rest should be self-explanatory.

PS I don't give a hoot about horses, but any reason to shoot constructively is a good one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thunderbird
View Quote

LMAO, will NightTrain work too?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah... so will a nice, lukewarm Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone amongst the listening public know info about possible funny things happening to aim, trajectory, point-of-impact, etc. when shooting at something much lower or higher than you are?

This attempt was from a kneeling position (on ground level) that ended with one shot.

Why the misses from on high? Assuming my aim is good and rifle is accurate?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
There was a Q&A in American Rifleman not too long ago that addressed this.  I'll see if i can't find it later tonite.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
As soon as you get this figured out Wobblin-Goblin you can come up here and euthanize come cotton tails that keep raiding my garden and eating the tops off my pepper plants.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As soon as you get this figured out Wobblin-Goblin you can come up here and euthanize come cotton tails that keep raiding my garden and eating the tops off my pepper plants.
View Quote

As long as they [i]need[/i] killin', I'm game for any type of hunting. Rabbits on the family ranch here are just stupid rodents. I literally can walk right past them at 10' and they don't move. They must think if they are really still I won't see them. [sniper]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I feel your pain.

There was a woodchuck that lived in my garden
He ate everything but was forgiven
Until he touched my pepper plants
He is now in Woodchuck heaven
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There was a woodchuck that lived in my garden  He ate everything but was forgiven
Until he touched my pepper plants
He is now in Woodchuck heaven
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#15]
What I have always wondered is how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As long as they [i]need[/i] killin', I'm game for any type of hunting. Rabbits on the family ranch here are just stupid rodents. I literally can walk right past them at 10' and they don't move. They must think if they are really still I won't see them. [sniper]
View Quote

That's how I used to take care of the rabbits on our land growing up as well.  10-15' away with my 410 shotgun or the .22 if we were in the mood for rabbit stew.  They would just stand still like good little targets.  It was also kind of ironic since we raised rabbits at the time.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I will go get a 12pk tonite and post by the garden with my Browning 338mag and some night vision and give the little bastard some 250gr lead poisoning.. Waddya Think?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Hotrod,
Can you say "SPLAT!!"[:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I think you are suppossed to aim a bit low when shooting down hill.

Some rifle forum can explain it right.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
For uphill or downhill Aim/P.O.I questions try:

[url]www.snipercountry.com[/url]
or
[url]www.snipershide.com[/url]

* word of caution *
Things are a bit "snooty" over there...[:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for replying to the serious part of the thread!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I just read your post in the Ted Williams thread. I don't care for your opinion but being from Arizona, which went w/o a Major League baseball team until recently, I will accept that lack of heritage as a mitigating factor behind your reasoning.

The woodchuck has, until now, resided in a horse pasture. The rest should be self-explanatory.

PS I don't give a hoot about horses, but any reason to shoot constructively is a good one.
View Quote

Baseball??? Baseball?? We dont need no stinking Baseball.  Fuck Baseball, Its just another way for the corrupt and rich here in Az to ripoff the taxpayers. If people want baseball then let the players and owners pay for their damn stadium.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Baseball??? Baseball?? We dont need no stinking Baseball.  Fuck Baseball, Its just another way for the corrupt and rich here in Az to ripoff the taxpayers. If people want baseball then let the players and owners pay for their damn stadium.
View Quote

Not that I want the thread to get hijacked into an argument about baseball, but I agree about the $$$ end of your rant. Teddy Ballgame is still an American icon, though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#25]
The bullet doesn't drop as much for an uphill or downhill shot, so you usually shoot high. I wouldn't think it would matter much at 50 yards, though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone amongst the listening public know info about possible funny things happening to aim, trajectory, point-of-impact, etc. when shooting at something much lower or higher than you are?
[snip]
Why the misses from on high? Assuming my aim is good and rifle is accurate?
View Quote

At 65-70 yards the only reason for a miss is because you are a poor shot. [:P] The effects of the uphill/downhill phenomena would be negligiable at that range with a .223.
Here's how it works: The effect of gravity is constant. If you were to have lased that whistlepig, you would have got the reading from the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Now if you know how far off the ground you are, you know the length of the base of the triangle. With these two numbers you can figure out the right angle side of your triangle which is the actual distance that gravity has to work on your round. So if you are in a building 10 yards high and you lase the hog's range at 70 yards, you take the square root of (70 squared - 10 squared) and find that the distance that matters (the right angle leg)is really only 69 yards. The same applies when shooting uphill, except that the right angle leg of the triangle is up in the air. At longer distances aerodynamic drag comes into play. But I wouldn't worry about that until the difference between the right leg length and the hypotenuse length reaches about 100 yards (hows that for a W.A.G.?).
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#27]
[B]Quoted:

What I have always wondered is how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?[/b]

How much wood, would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck could chuck wood?

A Woodchuck would, chuck all the wood, a Woodchuck could, if a Woodchuck, could chuck wood.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe I will go get a 12pk tonite and post by the garden with my Browning 338mag and some night vision and give the little bastard some 250gr lead poisoning.. Waddya Think?
View Quote

[b]Since you asked[/b], I think booze + guns are one of the big reasons the sheeple are afraid of folks like us having guns.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I find it interesting that four shots over a few days miss from an attic window, although the third shot sent the chuck up in the air in a 3 ft. high summersault.

Then, when the horses cleared and I got a ground-level shot from the 65-70 yard range, it only took one bullet to put him to sleep.

Hmmm.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#31]
With all the talk of Tannerite over the past week after CampyBob's shoot, I'm surprised you didn't plan a little strategic "nukefest" by placing a few bottles of tannerite around the back yard with proper bait near the cannisters.

Launch that sucker.    Damage to car roofs is likely to not be as bad as it would be with a flying fire extinguisher.

Anyhow, popped out eyes are usually called "blueberries" if I have my varminting terminology down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyhow, popped out eyes are usually called "blueberries" if I have my varminting terminology down.
View Quote

LOL. I haven't heard of that one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey fiss a cyst. Who the hell ever mentioned BOOZ ? You just assumed, YOU know what it means to asume right ! (Make an ass out of U and Me) Maybe I was talking about Mt.Dew (My favorite Bev. by the way) Maybe it is the Do-Gooders like yourself who want to be a crusader (But talk without all the facts) that are an embarassment to the gun comunity !!!!!!!!!

And yes I like Beer too...........
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#35]
where can i get some tannerite?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Where can I get some Mt. Dew? [:o)]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry Woblin-Gobblin. Didn't mean to loose composure in your post, nothing but a thang brotha. If you look real close in yur local Quicky-Mart you might be able to find some Mt.Dew. I'm on my 8th can (still havn't seen that little bastard rabbit yet) Just sent the wife for another 12. Well gotta get back to my post..
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read this then think about your question!!!

[url]http://www.citizen.com/news2002/July/03/bel0703d.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Read this then think about your question!!!

[url]http://www.citizen.com/news2002/July/03/bel0703d.htm[/url]
View Quote

[b]"After attempting to shoot the animal, the gun jammed, forcing Pearson to use his gun as a club."[/b]

Dang!, How bad in need of a cleaning is this Ruger, to have jammed? I've shot many of these for years and have never run into one jamming.
As for clubbing, get a nice synthetic stock, They make much better clubs!  [;)]

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#43]
The thing that drives me nuts about that article, the dude has the same last name and identical spelling as me.

I have a TON of friends with my same first name so we all call eachother by last name, every damned time I read a sentence in that article it's "Pearson" this, "Pearson" that.    Keep thinking that it's  an article about me and how the squirrels have finally ganged up to get me, I am a one man war against ground squirrels so it's not so far fetched that one day they'll send a lone assassin after me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#44]
[img]http://www.atncorp.com/Pic/Night_Vision/Weapon_Sight/Aries_7800c/2D.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Wood Chucks ,ground hogs,weoman ,children even trains hell I've killed every thing but William Penny.    But I have this very large cool squash garden in the back yard under three large hackberry trees.

I have these very loud huge birds in the trees they are black bigger than crows and scream a hissing crackling sound so we call them Cracklings.    They run every thing but the biggest of the wild neigborhood cats off.

They get in my garden and like vine ripe tomatoes almost as much as I do.  I was using the colibra shells on them but they just bounced off them.   So I went to the coon hunters special CB well I might add birds were coming down quick!

So from one cold blooded killer to another ,Good hunting!

Bob [8D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for replying to the serious part of the thread!
View Quote

FYI, I consider killing woodchucks, squirrels, cats and rabbits [i]very [/i]seriously!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Great, urbanization has even infected this Board.  Markm, you might try going outdoors once in a while.  The sun will allow your skin to produce vitamin D and you might learn about varmints and other wild critters as a side benefit.  
View Quote
If this don't beat all.  I was just pretending to be a PETA freak.  I like to joke, you know.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sorry Woblin-Gobblin. Didn't mean to loose composure in your post, nothing but a thang brotha. If you look real close in yur local Quicky-Mart you might be able to find some Mt.Dew. I'm on my 8th can (still havn't seen that little bastard rabbit yet) Just sent the wife for another 12. Well gotta get back to my post..
View Quote

And you really think you're going to shoot straight with all that caffine in your system?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top