Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 9:05:03 AM EDT
As with probably many of you, I have been watching all of the television and newspaper coverage of the hurricane and the various relief efforts.

I have made a SOCIOLOGICAL, hopefully not "racist", observation:

The overwhelming majority of Volunteers are white!

I'm guessing the the overall racial mix in the Deep South sports a 25% or so Black population mix, and I know that there is a healthy Black middle class in the South. But forgive me, I'm not seeing a demographic representation of volunteers from the Black community.

Sure, there are some solid,but isolated, instantces.

Has anyone found this to be true?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
In my experience, ALL were.  Judge for yourself (That's me in the truck.  Note the arfcom hat.):

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#2]
IBTL.  No matter how innocent your observation, how you try to frame it, or what disclaimers you issue, these threads always deteriorate into racist remarks or, at the very least, heated accusations of racism.  Sad but true.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I did see something interesting.

In Central Florida, where I live, a chuch opened there rustic "retreat" facility to refugees. A local news org did a story on this.

Interestingly, all of the refugees at the facility were white. I would guess that 99.8% of refugees are black.

What an incredible coinsidence that  only white people choose to go to this retreat.

Wierd huh?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I've noticed the same thing. I yearn for honest discussion about this and other similar observations, but this isn't the place to do it. It pains me, because I'm naturally curious and am constantly trying to understand things I observe.

When it comes to observations of people who share a common status as a minority or other sensitive group, I reserve comment online. I wish it wasn't so, but somethings are best discussed in private.

Threads like this DO become poo-flinging contests. Racists come out of nowhere, good people are accused of being racist, etc etc. Again, I wish it wasn't so, but my observation of similar threads tells me otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

IBTL.  No matter how innocent your observation, how you try to frame it, or what disclaimers you issue, these threads always deteriorate into racist remarks or, at the very least, heated accusations of racism.  Sad but true.  

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats because a volunteer has gets paid nothing except personal satisfaction.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
To be fair, many of the volunteers at the dome are black,hispanic, and asian. Most however are white.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't know... Interesting observation though.

Keep your gun clean.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Green ones too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, still not locked?

IBTL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top