Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2013 7:56:33 AM EDT
I just traded my side by side ATV for a 99 Wrangler with 93,000 miles.  I was asking $4,000 for the ATV, so I guess I paid $4,000 for the Jeep.  Seems like a pretty good deal to me, since I didn't need the ATV any more, it's use has been relegated to being a self propelled yard cart.

Jeep is a 4.0 and 5 speed, new tires, half doors soft top, the top is new, some surface rust on the frame but the body from what I can see is rust free.  Needs to be detail cleaned but drives down the road straight, shifts easy, and 4x4 works.  Any quirks to this model year and engine combo I should know about?  There is a header instead of the exhaust manifold, PO claims they were known to crack and that's why it was replaced.  I'm just curious if there's anything I should know/do outside of what I would normally do buying a used vehicle, ie new fluids, filters, possibly front end alignment.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The header will crack also. It's a common problem . Frame rust is the biggest issue, get under there with a screwdriver and poke hard at any rust. Repair sections of frame are available but you need to catch it early.  Ou will always get a slight oil drip from the rear main seal. If its only a few drops just let it be. All jeeps seem to drip oil even with a new seal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
...double post
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If its a good header it wont crack.  The stock iron exhuast manifolds are known to crack easily.  The radiators are prone to leaking because they have a plastic liner mashed with the metal exterior.  Two or three core all metal radiators are available.

TJs are stupid simple to work on and the drivetrain is reliable.  As with any solid frame solid a le 4x4 they require normal maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I checked the frame pretty well, easy to get under and see as it has a 4" suspension lift.  Some surface rust but i figure i will get under it with a wire wheel and recoat with chassis saver this spring.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
wow... you got a killer deal.  I don't even want to talk about how much I paid for my 98 TJ a few months ago :(

any photos yet??

here's mine......

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I checked the frame pretty well, easy to get under and see as it has a 4" suspension lift.  Some surface rust but i figure i will get under it with a wire wheel and recoat with chassis saver this spring.

With a 4 inch lift, without a slip yoke eliminator, you will have seals start to leak at the transfer case and the dif due to vibrations.  You will also have steering components wear faster but that is typical with any lift.  Keep an eye on the parts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Wave.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Need to know...
Jeeps are addicting
Jeeps suck for uncreative storage
Jeeps are awesome
Jeeps get horrible gas mileage
4.0 motors are darn near bullet proof
Dana 35 is the weakest axle known to man
Wrangler forum is a good spot on www
Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.

I love my  97. You got a great buy!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
wow... you got a killer deal.  I don't even want to talk about how much I paid for my 98 TJ a few months ago :(

any photos yet??

here's mine......

http://www.360wd.com/tj/cold-tj.jpg

I miss my TJ.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Need to know...

Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!

He aint Joking either

Jason

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need to know...

Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!

He aint Joking either

Jason

Plentynof experience with that.  I have an 88 Waggy going together in my shop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top