Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 6:14:03 AM EDT
Wal-Mart death threat just rumor
http://www.wilsondaily.com/Wil_region/Local_News/315374034398192.php

By Jeff Kennedy Daily Times Staff Writer

Police and Wal-Mart officials say rumors that a mother and small child will be killed at Wilson's Wal-Mart Super Center are a localized version of a rumor circulating in North Carolina and other parts of the country.

Sharon Webber, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., said the same rumor has popped up around multiple stores throughout the country. The corporation is working with law enforcement agencies to investigate the rumor.

"We take every threat seriously," Webber said. "... But at this time, it does appear to be an urban legend."

The Wilson Police Department has received numerous calls and e-mails from the community in recent weeks concerning the rumor and have stepped up patrols in the store's parking lot to make shoppers feel more secure, police Sgt. W.S. Bissette said.

"Each time we get this, we're told that it is going to happen this weekend," Bissette said.

"And this information we've been getting for at least a month and a half, if not two months, now. So that goes to show it's just being recycled."

Police say they have been in contact with other police departments that have heard the same rumor concerning stores in their areas. There's a rumor now circulating about the Wal-Mart store in Rocky Mount as well.

Bissette said that while police feel an obligation to follow up and investigate each call or e-mail, efforts by investigators to track down each rumor to a specific source always run into a dead end.

"If there is any way to follow it up, we have to follow it up," Bissette said. "It's always 'My sister or my friend told me ... .' There's never an end source. It is consuming our time. Even though we see it originated in another state. We still have to track it down."

According to snopes.com, a Web site that investigates the veracity of urban legends, the rumor first appeared in the Memphis, Tenn., area in July. Like the one in Wilson, the rumor claims that gang initiates in the area are planning to kill a woman and small child in a Wal-Mart as part of an initiation into a gang. That rumor says an unidentified woman reported to police that she overhead talk in a bathroom about the initiation plans.

"Of all the numerous calls, we do not have one piece of concrete verifiable information," Bissette said.

While police believe the local threat is part of the larger rumor, they are concerned that someone locally might actually attempt to carry out the threat and are taking necessary precautions, Bissette said.

Another story fwiw fwiw
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:19:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 6:20:00 AM EDT by DrFrige]
Well think about it for a sec... what type of customers MOSTLY frequent Wal-Mart? Women with small children. If lets say 70% of the customers are women with children and half of them take the threat seriously, it can take away 35% of their business for that day... or at least a few hours.

Society is better off without these assholes that make these kinda threats so I really wouldnt shed a tear if they get put away for the rest of their lives
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:44:02 AM EDT
Well, you know what keeps me away? Its the act that every time I go to buy ammo I can't find anyone to help me. It has happened 3 times in a row now. I had to walk out after having other employees try to page someone for me with no results. That place has really gone to crap.
Top Top