Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 4:26:34 PM EDT
With the AWB all but assured of sunsetting on the 13th of September, only emergency legislation could keep it alive.  The only realistic way that could happen, IMHO, would be in response to a high-profile crime or "terrorist attack" involving the mass murder of people with "assault weapons" which would galvanize the populace and make it easier for the anti-gunners to push through an emergency bill to keep the AWB from sunsetting, or worse, enacting further restrictions on so-called "assault weapons".

Now, imagine that there are loony left anti-gunners out there that are just crazy enough to stage such an incident, perhaps at a school for maximum impact (it's hard to top the deaths of children for tugging at the heartstrings), and most likely in a "pro-gun" state, like Texas or Florida, to really drive home the point.  "Terrorists" or "killers" massacre dozens of innocent school children with AR-15s, AK-47s, or the like, and presto...the anti-gunners' legislation rides a wave of emotion right through the Congress and on to Bush's desk...where he would pretty much have to sign it or be branded a heartless bastard...but if he signs it, he would alienate the conservative base of the GOP, and would be in serious danger of losing the election...damned if you do, damned if you don't...

So, am I way off base here, or is this plausible?  Comments???
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Always possible,  highly unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Hate to say this, but we did have Michael Berg's death which soared the war approval through the roof just before it began to crash. On a sidenote, I read that he was arrested by the CIA and released about a week later, almost immediately after his release he was kidnapped and beheaded by rebels.

I'm not saying anything else, but take it for what its worth. Morbid coincidence or dilligence.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hate to say this, but we did have Michael Berg's death which soared the war approval through the roof just before it began to crash. On a sidenote, I read that he was arrested by the CIA and released about a week later, almost immediately after his release he was kidnapped and beheaded by rebels.

I'm not saying anything else, but take it for what its worth. Morbid coincidence or dilligence.

Hmmmm...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Well???
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
...The govt. sometimes has to do dark and terrible things to keep national security or whatnot.

That said, if something like this happened, it would be blantantly raping us of our rights - which under the wisdom of our forefathers entitles us to a rebellion.

I believe most of the framers believed that revolting when tyranny or oppression occured was justified.

(Damn, I bet the FBI/CIA/No Such Agency profiled this under "RADICAL," but seriously, people this would be an abuse of power IF IT HAPPENED - let's just pray that our govt. would never do something like this.)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
We should all carry our "Assault Weapons" in the trunks of our cars. That way if there is some nut lunatic that does try to ruin it for all of us we can shoot back and show the public how there is a need for our evil black rifles and that were not defensless sheeple.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Just a little Paranoid Conspiracy Theory for y'all...  

here? On Arfcom? NOOOO!!!!!!

I'm too tired to post-whore this thread, bad as I'd like to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]
but I guess a little won't hurt.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#9]
<----tinfoil-hatted AWB post-whore comin' through...'scuse me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, I must wait 2 seconds before I post again......
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I think arfom needs an AWB post-whore brigade to do nothing for the next 2 weeks but stay hopped up on cough syrup, and hit the keyboards every time someone posts another stupid tinfoil AWB thread.......
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Have we talked about how tinfoil theories are kinda stupid?

Maybe we should talk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think arfom needs an AWB post-whore brigade to do nothing for the next 2 weeks but stay hopped up on cough syrup, and hit the keyboards every time someone posts another stupid tinfoil AWB thread.......

lmao!

\/

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]
They would probly have to buy a post-ban to do it :)

Duct tape on a bayonet?

- BG
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#16]
As a highly trained psychopolitician, I can officially say that I don't consider that a very impressive conspiracy theory.

You need something in it to make it sound at least POSSIBLE - like foreign agents, or secret communist cells being duped by UN-controlled democrats, or something.

Aliens are good too.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As a highly trained psychopolitician, I can officially say that I don't consider that a very impressive conspiracy theory.

You need something in it to make it sound at least POSSIBLE - like foreign agents, or secret communist cells being duped by UN-controlled democrats, or something.

Aliens are good too.

Alien mind control devices???
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aliens are good too.

Alien mind control devices???

NOW you've got yourself a juicy conspiracy - because obviously the aliens want us disarmed before their invasion !!!  

In fact, maybe ALL gun control is caused by alien mind-control rays.  We need to pass lawws REQUIRING all elected officials to wear tinfoil hats.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Read "Enemies Foriegn and Domestic" by Matthew Bracken.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Zombie-fied out of control Federal Agents could privately purchase the assault weapons necessary to facilitate this rampage from the local gunshow on Sunday. Then, Monday morning as the kiddies get to school................they strike! Once the zombie-fied agents are killed, the CIA covers it up changes the identity of the agents to terrorists, and that in turn starts the emotional response from Feinstein and Schumer which catapults the re-authorization bill of the Federal AWB quickly through congress where it barely passes. GW signs it, turns around and pulls John Kerry out of his ass complete with huge shit eating' grin on his face! Then Bush and Kerry reveal their sinister plot to overtake the oil and tomato industry! Now that's a conspiracy for you!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
With the AWB all but assured of sunsetting on the 13th of September, only emergency legislation could keep it alive.  The only realistic way that could happen, IMHO, would be in response to a high-profile crime or "terrorist attack" involving the mass murder of people with "assault weapons" which would galvanize the populace and make it easier for the anti-gunners to push through an emergency bill to keep the AWB from sunsetting, or worse, enacting further restrictions on so-called "assault weapons".

Now, imagine that there are loony left anti-gunners out there that are just crazy enough to stage such an incident, perhaps at a school for maximum impact (it's hard to top the deaths of children for tugging at the heartstrings), and most likely in a "pro-gun" state, like Texas or Florida, to really drive home the point.  "Terrorists" or "killers" massacre dozens of innocent school children with AR-15s, AK-47s, or the like, and presto...the anti-gunners' legislation rides a wave of emotion right through the Congress and on to Bush's desk...where he would pretty much have to sign it or be branded a heartless bastard...but if he signs it, he would alienate the conservative base of the GOP, and would be in serious danger of losing the election...damned if you do, damned if you don't...

So, am I way off base here, or is this plausible?  Comments???

Actually....I agree with you on this. I've thought the exact same thing in the past. Their reasoning for it will be doing it for the "cause".
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting, but that is exactly what is taking place in Russia.   The news media is not covering it very well because they side with the folks who are doing it though.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
...(it's hard to top the deaths of children for tugging at the heartstrings), and most likely in a "pro-gun" state, like Texas or Florida, to really drive home the point.  "Terrorists" or "killers" massacre dozens of innocent school children with AR-15s, AK-47s, or the like, and presto...

... Comments???

Sure. That fanciful crap like this would be far more effective prognostication if it DIDN'T come up several hours AFTER a real-world situation happens.

Go finish the rest of your spliff.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We should all carry our "Assault Weapons" in the trunks of our cars. That way if there is some nut lunatic that does try to ruin it for all of us we can shoot back and show the public how there is a need for our evil black rifles and that were not defensless sheeple.  What do you think?

I think I've been doing that since Sept. 11, 2001.  

My truck doesn't have a trunk, but I know if you go through a fast-food drive-up you get funny looks when they see ol' Bushy leaning against the passenger seat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Zombie-fied out of control Federal Agents could privately purchase the assault weapons necessary to facilitate this rampage from the local gunshow on Sunday. Then, Monday morning as the kiddies get to school................they strike! Once the zombie-fied agents are killed, the CIA covers it up changes the identity of the agents to terrorists, and that in turn starts the emotional response from Feinstein and Schumer which catapults the re-authorization bill of the Federal AWB quickly through congress where it barely passes. GW signs it, turns around and pulls John Kerry out of his ass complete with huge shit eating' grin on his face! Then Bush and Kerry reveal their sinister plot to overtake the oil and tomato industry! Now that's a conspiracy for you!

HS1

One small problem with your scenario...Monday is a holiday...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Actually....I agree with you on this. I've thought the exact same thing in the past. Their reasoning for it will be doing it for the "cause".

It's for the chiiiiildren...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...(it's hard to top the deaths of children for tugging at the heartstrings), and most likely in a "pro-gun" state, like Texas or Florida, to really drive home the point.  "Terrorists" or "killers" massacre dozens of innocent school children with AR-15s, AK-47s, or the like, and presto...

... Comments???

Sure. That fanciful crap like this would be far more effective prognostication if it DIDN'T come up several hours AFTER a real-world situation happens.

Go finish the rest of your spliff.

Are you saying this happened in the US recently???

BTW, I don't smoke marijuana...drugs are for losers...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Read "Enemies Foriegn and Domestic" by Matthew Bracken.

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Anything - whatever.

I want dibs on any ARs you have.

I mean, I agree with you, but hot damn, if it don't sunset; I still want to profit!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#34]
F the terrorists...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
...The govt. sometimes has to do dark and terrible things to keep national security or whatnot.

That said, if something like this happened, it would be blantantly raping us of our rights - which under the wisdom of our forefathers entitles us to a rebellion.

I believe most of the framers believed that revolting when tyranny or oppression occured was justified.

(Damn, I bet the FBI/CIA/No Such Agency profiled this under "RADICAL," but seriously, people this would be an abuse of power IF IT HAPPENED - let's just pray that our govt. would never do something like this.)

And last week's incident where the Kali legislators went around to empty seats and pressed the vote buttons to get the .50BMG ban passed wasn't a blatant raping?

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
We should all carry our "Assault Weapons" in the trunks of our cars. That way if there is some nut lunatic that does try to ruin it for all of us we can shoot back first and show the public how there is a need for our evil black rifles and that were not defensless sheeple.  What do you think?

Fixed it!
Why be reactive when you can be proactive?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

And last week's incident where the Kali legislators went around to empty seats and pressed the vote buttons to get the .50BMG ban passed wasn't a blatant raping?

...You're fucking me. You have to me. That isn't even legal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#38]
BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top