Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/21/2006 5:57:40 PM EDT
I just started the Academy and I wondered if anyone had any advice. I took this semester off college and I decided to go into the Academy. I have a year and a half of college and I will be going back to school after I get my cert. Anyone know of any departments who are offering part time/ aux. positions in the NE Ohio area? Any info or advice about getting a job will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:26:11 AM EDT
When will you be done w/ your OPOTA? I heard a rumor that Linndale was looking to put on some auxilaries. Woodmere seems to hire on a regular basis for part time. I would also check with Akron P.D. and some of the burbs around there and Canton for part time and aux. positions. Good luck to you. I know that north east ohio is not the easiest place to get hired.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:29:39 PM EDT
I will get mt cert in May. What would i do, just call the departments on the phone? Is there something I should say or should I send my resume, what should I do? Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 10:21:17 PM EDT by CsabaH]
For the places that I mentioned your best bet is dropping off a Resume. I know for a fact that Woodmere uses this method primarily. You need to be done w/ your OPOTA first before you can get hired, but getting the app process started early is not a bad idea, the whole process can take a very long time. I would also suggest testing for different departments right now while you are still in the academy. Again like I said Ohio is a very tough state to get hired in, especially NEOH, due to the number of applicants out there. I wish you the best of luck. Don't have your sights set on just one department, look around and take opportunities as they are presented to you. This would be a long drive for you but, I would consider calling Put-in-Bay P.D. as well. They hire regularly every year.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:55:23 PM EDT
The academy will be good training.However I would still pursue college.The best to you and good luck.Law enforcement is a different animal these days.I retired after 27 years in LE
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:27:55 AM EDT
I am just looking for a part time/ aux. position, and then I can go back to college and finish up my degree because I have about two and a half more years left. I figured it would be a good idea if I would graduate with my degree, my academy, and experience before I looked for a full-time position.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:45:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FijiHKShooter:
I am just looking for a part time/ aux. position, and then I can go back to college and finish up my degree because I have about two and a half more years left. I figured it would be a good idea if I would graduate with my degree, my academy, and experience before I looked for a full-time position.

This is a good idea. You definitely want to secure a comission of some sort in the first year no matter what, so you don't have to take the refresher course. Finishing your college degree is definitely a plus and at some places a requirement.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:29:04 PM EDT
Thanks alot guys, I just got home from the gym and now I am going to type my resume....when my endless note typing is done but I know it's worth it though. Thanks again, -JOHN-
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:30:35 PM EDT
trust me after you get your cert. you will not wanna go back, but I strongly advise that you do so. Best of luck and study hard. I loved the academy when I went, so enjoy it.
Top Top