Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 6:13:09 PM EDT
Been waiting for the official word for months and it finally comes. I leave Sept.4 and I am nervous as hell. Hope my recruiter isn't a liar either...He said it should be no sweat.
Hell i hope so. Oh yeah if i'm gone and I win the LEGP better not cheat my ass out of my rifle. [xx(]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Any paticular MOS you want?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Good Luck, try to keep a low profile if you want to get out of boot with the least amount of grief.  Do you have Tech school set up yet?

Ben
1A271
Travis AFB, CA
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Christ!, It's the Air Force. It's only six weeks. What are you nervous about? It's not like its gonna be 13 weeks on Parris Island!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll do fine. Just don't break a nail in the inter-platoon volleyball championship match and you'll graduate with a few medals to impress the girls back home. [:P]

Really, it's not that hard and they don't stress you out too bad. They'll mess with you a little at your AFSC school. I saw some of that at Sheppard AFB when I was at tech school there. No big deal though, just when you can go where in what uniform and that kind of thing. No big deal...you'll hang tough and do us proud.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes StngDuck i do have Tech School set up. I am set on becoming Intelligence Apprentice. 23 long ass weeks at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX after my stay at Lackland. I will be stationed at Barksdale AFB Shreveport, LA 917th WING  

Yeah the Marines and Army guys are gonna dog me b/c I took the "easy" route in going to the Air Force.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah the Marines and Army guys are gonna dog me b/c I took the "easy" route in going to the Air Force.
View Quote

Perhaps, but what do most Army & Marines do after their stint is up? I know a former Marine who works for a temp agency and a former Army guy who hauls trash for $8 an hour. You should be able to make a direct transition into a high-pay civi job where you use your brain and not you back!  Good luck!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
San Angelo? Man if you are from Texas you have to know that place sucks! It's in the middle of nowhere, the only place I can think of closer to the center of nowhere is Alpine. Good luck and if any of us Army or Marine guys give you hell just take it lightly. Given the last few years, I'm glad to see anybody willing to serve in any branch of the service, do us proud.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey partner, you had to expect a little ribbing. Seriously though, I think enlisting for at least one hitch in the military is one of the best things a young man can do for himself, as well as out Nation. Good for you.

A few pieces of advice from a former Sergeant who has seen some guys succeed and some guys fail in the military, and noticed a few consistent things:

1. Get all the off-duty education you can.
2. Don't get into debt.
3. Yeah, that crystal meth addicted, three kid having stripper might be a wonderful girl, and you might love her, but think about this one really hard. What do you think she's going to be doing while you're deployed? Stay single, at least for your first hitch.
4. Gettin' drunk is great. But think about how hard it's going to be to get Airman Godzilla back into the country unconscious from Mexico [b]BEFORE[/B] you and your buddies are all drunk off your a$$ in a whorehouse in Nuevo Laredo.
4a. Don't get a DUI. Your career will be over in a heartbeat. You'll be out of the Air Force six weeks later with an Other Than Honorable discharge.
4b. Don't screw around with drugs. I probably don't need to tell you this, but I've seen it knock some otherwise smart guys out of the box. You will have to take the whiz quiz regularly, but at irregular intervals. Don't count on golden seal or whatever to get you clean before Tuesday after a 96.
5. Volunteer for the deployments. If you just wanted a cool job with guns, you could have been a police officer. Go places and see things most others won't. I got to jump into the ocean off an 85ft bridge and enjoy other "Asian delights" in Japan, camp out in the crater of an extinct volcano in the Mojave desert, surfed in Hawaii, etc. Have a great time.

Good luck.

Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes StngDuck i do have Tech School set up. I am set on becoming Intelligence Apprentice. 23 long ass weeks at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX after my stay at Lackland.

View Quote

Very coincidental - I am joining the AFNG, and I will probably be leaving probably the first week of next year to TX for basic, and then on to Lackland Air Base for 23 weeks in Intelligence as well (Imagery Analysis).

While we're on the topic, what is the situation when you leave basic and go on to Tech school?  I know they own your ass both in basic and in school, but do you have ANY reserved freedoms while in school?  I understand the rooming situation, curfews, etc - I was just curious what exact activities you have available to you (i.e. occasional leave out on the town, etc.).  In other words, how much of a "free man" are you for your 6 months of school - want to prepare myself for the worse [:P]

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
23 Weeks in San Angelo. Yay for me. I just hope I can keep my sanity. Any one know any cool place in San Angelo??
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I understand it that as tech school progresses the regulations get less stringent and if i am not mistaken you get weekends "off". Not to say you don't have duties to perform and studying to do, I'm just saying you don't have classes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://www.somethingawful.com/cliff/ihateyou/page-169-04.jpg[/img]

[size=3][red]AIM HIGH[/red][/size=3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
garden weasal that you? Looks like a Janitor
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh man that's funny!!!

Gotta be a navy guy!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I understand it that as tech school progresses the regulations get less stringent and if i am not mistaken you get weekends "off". Not to say you don't have duties to perform and studying to do, I'm just saying you don't have classes.
View Quote

That's about right. Don't let the "ropes" get to ya. Once they get blue ropes...they always seem to lose their minds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh man that's funny!!!

Gotta be a navy guy!
View Quote

That *is* a navy recruit..  nice try garden weasel

Rick
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Uhhh.... no kidding
I know a pair of dungarees
when I see one.
I was complimenting his choice
and taking a cheap
shot.

Here's another
but I AM in this one
(a little bit anyway)

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/byebye.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
AF huh.  Yeah, I went into the Chair Force instead of joining the military too.  

AF basic was no sweat.  They can't hurt you, they can't make you do extra pushups, all they can do is yell at you without using profanity and if you really screw up they can set you back in training.  You've got to really screw up to get recycled.  We had some guys get recycled two weeks back because they got caught sneaking out to the candy machines and phones at 0200.  Even if that happens, you're still getting out of basic earlier than you would in any other branch.

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
reconxl:

That's probably the only thing your recruiter told you that's true. I was a MTI at Lackland for many years over on Hotel Row. You'll meet your TI's the second you get off the bus, nice bunch of folks. You'll be known as a rainbow for the first day, due to the civies you'll be wearing. Lot's of screaming, but it's all a game. You'll have to realize first off that all you are is a lump of moldable clay. You'll understand that in your 6th week. Show respect to your MTI's, they wouldn't be there if they weren't dedicated. Make sure all your buttons are buttoned, always carry your 341's, help your flight members whenever possible and stay away from Arnold Hall..it'll only corrupt you.

It's always "Sir Yes Sir", "Heel To Toe" means just that and it's only 6 weeks. The first 4 are the ones you'll find the most difficult, by the 5th and 6th your flight will be running itself, your MTI's will probably have another baby flight to deal with, not sure what the situation is now, but we always had 2 flights. Dorm Guard Duty can get you in trouble, just read the friggin directions on the door and you'll do fine, nobody gets in without the proper ID, no matter how much yelling and kicking is going on.

Pay attention to detail, it'll be important. Find someone to show you how to drill before you get there, much easier. When your TI yells "Road Guard Out!"...run like a banshee.

Above all...remember...it's a game, a game to make you break. If you can't handle basic, you'll fold under stress while on the flightline, or whatever else your tasked to do.

If you get a female MTI, she's probably meaner than a male so good luck, it is a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:17:59 AM EDT
[#22]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/p6b0662820c7c455d0cc8ef71753a4b23/fe5926ca.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
AIM HIGH
-XM15
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:19:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Whenever you start to break a sweat, just ask for a timeout.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:51:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't forget to bring an "old" bathing suit.
...I hear the chlorine that they put in those Air Force jacuzzis can be real rough on a new suit.[:)]

Don't forget your golf clubs, too! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:12:13 AM EDT
[#25]
You're nervous???

I go to AF OTS sometime this fall if I pass the AFOQT test and it will last 12 weeks!

I don't expect it to be physically challenging but I am nervous about some of the metal aspects- everything from speech and communication, to dealing with all the work they'll give me, passing the test, as well as being home-sick.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes StngDuck i do have Tech School set up. I am set on becoming Intelligence Apprentice. 23 long ass weeks at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX after my stay at Lackland. I will be stationed at Barksdale AFB Shreveport, LA 917th WING  

View Quote

WHOOO HOOO, Barksdale be hot in the summer time! Can you say HUMIDITY?  Say hi to the 52's when you  get there. Hell they may keep those damn 52s another half century!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Yesh itd hot i'll admit that, but come on over to Texas. The Temp today reached 101 withTemperature Humidity Index reaching 110(what is actually feels like outside. Oh yeah don't be putting down the b-52's. They may be old, but they are some of the most reliable aircraft you will come across.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#29]
You can practice saying "Alice, you're the greatest!".  

heh heh heh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top