Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2018 7:08:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:33:56 PM EST
Expect to hate your life shortly. AMR only cares about the money and doesn't care about the employees. It's the only company I've ever seen regularly take brand new employees (most of whom it was their first EMS job) and burn them out in less than a month. Most EMTs around here last less than a year. Look for employment elsewhere. I worked for AMR for a year, and left first opportunity I had.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:00:44 PM EST
My experience is more than 20 years old...but I have no love for AMR, and they drove my wife out of EMS as a new EMT.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:55:34 AM EST
AMR bought out our previous EMS provider (Rural Metro) a few years ago. They have gotten several new ambulances since then, but the employee turnover rate is ASTOUNDING. It seems like I hardly ever see the same EMT/Medic twice anymore. Most of their employees look like they're 25 and under and this is their first EMS job.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:05:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/15/2018 1:06:58 PM EST by tex7488]
Throw your resume as far and wide as you can and pray for a call back.

Otherwise, look for a job that will be more fun, like venomous snake wrangler.

Most private EMS sucks. They exist by hiring people with no experience that can’t get jobs elsewhere. Around here, experience with a private company like that hurts your hiring chances elsewhere more than it helps.

Other option is to deal with the job, kiss ass, follow rules to the letter, report other employees for everything you can think of, then apply for a management/supply position.

Edit: as a dispatcher they may just fire you. Most privates due that in house through call centers.
Go apply to the local PD
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:36:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/15/2018 10:36:58 PM EST by Breedy]
Sorry to hear.

You don't hear many good things about AMR, and it's probably for a reason. Most of the other posters hit the highlights but I will add that they shut down there dispatch center in my City. I believe most of their dispatching is done from around St. Louis and by smart phone.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:46:15 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Breedy:
Sorry to hear.

You don't hear many good things about AMR, and it's probably for a reason. Most of the other posters hit the highlights but I will add that they shut down there dispatch center in my City. I believe most of their dispatching is done from around St. Louis and by smart phone.
View Quote
When I was 19 AMR hired me

I thought it was so fun working with this one medic... his brother in law dispatched. He would put us out of service so we could pick up hamburger station and deliver it to him, of course we got to eat too!

OP, sorry. It's a cutthroat business model that doesn't translate well to something like EMS.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:58:16 PM EST
they didn't pay CA EMT for working through their breaks, and then when they sued to get money legally owed to them, AMR passed a bill 11 here in CA making it legal for them to not pay the EMT who work through their brakes making the lawsuit vaporize. get ready to quit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:40:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:46:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:01:15 AM EST
Even running paramedics they are still only bls in our area. They have the monopoly for sure and I’ve seen some pretty... uh... not great medics and emts who work for them. I’ve done a few 12 hour shifts and they get the job done but the organization as a whole I’m not terribly impressed with
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:10:10 AM EST
I did 4 years with them.

I would live in a cardboard box under an overpass before I worked for them again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:51:22 PM EST
They took out Rural Metro in my area....( also fired their dispatchers as the #1 priority).

Used to be Rural Metro, and AMR, on a rotation for our BLS transports.

We didn't renew their contract after AMR took over.

We took the new guy ( Northwest Ambulance) who blew AMR out of the water, and we wont be looking back.. Northwest is an awesome outfit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:58:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:59:45 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By djsmiles:
Well, its shaping up to be quite the shitshow on Saturday night. That's when AMR takes over our operation. I will be in the dispatch center, along with a slew of management. The schedule looks even worse than our normal Saturday nights.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the amount of medics jumping ship.
View Quote
They hit my patrol car while running code.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:14:46 PM EST
Bro, if you are EMD certified and want to move to Florida, I will give you a job. AMR is no Bueno
Top Top