Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 5:53:00 PM EDT
When called for jury duty why are those of us who are engineers summarily dismissed??
Do they not think that we can judge fairly??
Over the years at my company all of the engineers who have ever been called for jury duty have been summarily dismissed with no reason....
I have to start to wonder???
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Because you have the ability to think logically and analytically!!!!  The defense "can't" stand jurists with intelligence above that of sheep!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I just saw eodtech2000's answer under this textbox so there's nothing more to say...

NsB
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
defendant's counsel prolly looked at you and said "white guy, looks determined... prolly a bad sell."

the best strategy is to pretend yer archie bunker. easy way to get off jury duty.

my pal took his gameboy. played it in the jury box. told the judge that he had a problem paying attention for any length of time. judge's response was "we'll be careful to go slow just for you."

he got tossed by defense's counsel. pure luck.

he passed the bar, and luckily the judge didn;t remember him when he had a case before her a couple years later.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When called for jury duty why are those of us who are engineers summarily dismissed??

All college educated, middle-aged, white guys?

That's a demographic some attorneys don't care for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
For once L.A. County, Calif is doing something right. Everybody must do jury duty, with very little exception. Recently, my mom's internist got called for jury duty, in the past doctors were excused from jury duty but no more. In a L.A. Times story, even judges & lawyers are called(forced) to serve on juries. So the makeup of the juries in L.A. County will change because more people are not exempted from jury duty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Lawyers are afraid that their cases will be over-analysed. That's why engineers (and accountants) are routinely tossed. BTW, prosecutors toss analytical ppl at least as often as defense attorneys. Prosecutors have the burden of proof.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
All the business about engineers getting released from juries is wishful thinking (at least in this region) - I've served on four in the last 11 or 12 years, including a Federal jury.

If you are summoned, go - you won't regret the experience.  [Not the first time or two, the voir dire gets a little old after the first 3 or 4 times because you hear the same questions and the same lame excuses time after time.]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
<snip>  If you are summoned, go - you won't regret the experience.  [Not the first time or two, the voir dire gets a little old after the first 3 or 4 times because you hear the same questions and the same lame excuses time after time.]

I agree. I was the 12th juror once. Very, very educational. While always "dreading" being called, in the end I was very glad I served.

We convicted the defendant of theft. And now 5 yrs later I still haven't gotten another summons. I'm beginning to think I've been removed from the pool. No biggy, one way or the other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top