Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2009 8:24:58 AM EDT
My father and my friend have recently had to do jury duty.  They were asked random personal questions about themselves to see if they were ok to be in a court.

Well, being in Memphis, TN we have rampant liberal democrats running the court systems here.  

My friend was asked:

What bumper stickers are on your car?
Do you listen to talk radio?
What news station do you watch?
Do you own a gun?
What kind of guns?
How many guns?
Do you hunt?
Are you pro life?

They threw him out when he said he listened to talk radio

My dad threw himself out just about... a 'minority' had stolen money from a business owner, my dad stood up and said I am a business owner.  They showed him the door.  Our court systems are so messed up now these days, it is a joke.  If there is any hint that you love freedom, hate crime, conservative, practice your rights, ect, you're out!

What questions have you been asked prior to Jury Duty?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
No questions....

I walked in wearing a hangman's knot bolo tie and they immediately cut me loose.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]
We were not asked anything that personal.  We were only asked if we knew anyone in the Sheriff's or Prosecutor's offices, the victim, or the defendant, and how well, to ensure that we weren't friends with any potential witnesses.  There were no questions regarding our political stances.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
sat in a large roo but never made it to questioning.
this was at the federal courthouse also and I was looking forward to serving
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Just went thru this back in October for District court.

Pretty much age, education level, whether  knew or was related to anyone. Specifically prosecutors, defense attys and police.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
51 years and I've never been invited to jury duty.  I'd like to experience it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]
is that a swastika on your forehead?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Define justice.  

I said, "Mercy is when you get what you want.  Justice is when you get what you deserve."

What do you watch on TV?  

The History Channel.  

They let me go at the first cut.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
So far, I have not been summoned.

My friend got a summon though. It was quite a surprise for him to find out that they get you for jury duty now on your drivers license and not on voter registration

He didn't register to vote so he wouldn't have to do jury duty

ETA: He supported Obama

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
is that a swastika on your forehead?

No!

I practice Astratu and hate minorities
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never been asked to serve jury duty
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I have jury duty on Nov 30...right after Thanksgiving Holidays...yay!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My father and my friend have recently had to do jury duty.  They were asked random personal questions about themselves to see if they were ok to be in a court.

Well, being in Memphis, TN we have rampant liberal democrats running the court systems here.  

My friend was asked:

Do you own a gun?

What kind of guns?

How many guns?

Do you hunt?

Are you pro life?

My dad threw himself out just about... a 'minority' had stolen money from a business owner, my dad stood up and said I am a business owner.  They showed him the door.  Our court systems are so messed up now these days, it is a joke.  If there is any hint that you love freedom, hate crime, conservative, practice your rights, ect, you're out!

The point of Voire Dire ((Sp?) Jury Selection) is to get the most impressionable, uninformed people possible on the jury....

The reason for this, is that in order to have a fair verdict, you cannot have people with strong pre-concieved opinions serving...

This means....

The Prosecutor is going to try to weed out 'fight da powa!' liberals....

And the Defense Counsel is going to try to weed out 'hang 'em high' conservatives....

If it's a theft trial, the Defense Counsel will try to weed out business owners (who likely have been stolen from)...

The Prosecution, likewise, will not want those with prior convictions for theft on the jury....

The end result, we hope, is a mushy-middle Jury that will render their decision based ONLY on the evidence presented in court.....

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I just got a summons for jury selection in December, so I'm tagging this for personal interest.

Can you decline to answer any questions?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I just got a summons for jury selection in December, so I'm tagging this for personal interest.

Not really...

The point of the questions is to determine your fitness to serve on the Jury...

Being a jackass to the Court will not be taken lightly....

It's part of your duty as a Citizen to participate in the jury process if summoned & not engaged in some superior form of service (eg, I was summoned for jury duty while assigned to Korea... The Army beats the County on that one...)

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you have any strong feelings about murder?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can volunteer for it.

Edit; I've never had to volunteer. I have been summoned to jury duty 4 different times. First and second time I did serve on civil cases. The third time I almost served on a criminal case (I really wanted to serve on that one too. A high profile murder case of one of a group of young punks who terrorized our area in a string of assaults, robberies and murders) but apparently some one didn't like my (truthful) answers to some questions they asked those of us in the potential juror pool that day.

Edit2; I guess since the title asks what questions were asked, I should list those huh? Ok, here they are. If they asked the same question multiple times about different persons I will put those in one so to make a shorter list. I will also put in the answer to see if you can see which one got me excused.

1Do you know the prosecutor/defense attorney/any defendant in the case/any victim in the case? Answer. NO

2 Have you heard any thing about this case? From where? Answer. YES. It was all over the news while it was going on.

3  Does what you have heard make you feel that you already have made up your mind of guilt in this case?  Answer. NO. Most of the time the media gets very little right to begin with.

4 Have you ever been the victim of a crime? Answer. YES. A couple of times.

5 What was the nature of the first crime? Answer.Property crime. Some one stole the stereo out of my car in front of my house.

6 Did you call the police? Answer. YES  

7 Did the police  catch the person or recover your property? Answer. NO.

8 Do you hold any ill will toward the police for that? Answer. NO

9 What was the nature of the second crime? Answer Property also. Two weeks after the stereo theft they came back and broke into my garage.

10 Did you call the police? Answer. NO

11 You didn't call the police? Answer NO, I shot at them.

End of questioning
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Three times, but never asked a question.  Always let go early.  They don't put many white males on the jury's around here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

During voir dire (sp?), the judge asked me if I could be fair and impartial in judging the defendant.

I replied, "Even though the defendant appears to be asleep during jury selection for his own trial, showing disrespect for the judicial process, I would have no problem being impartial in judging the facts."

All eyes turned to the defendant who was indeed dozing.  The defendant's attorney elbowed him to wake him up.

"Your honor," the defendant's attorney began.  The judge interrupted him and said, "Mr. B., thank you for your time today but you're excused from this case."

"Thank you, your honor."

John
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really...

It's part of your duty as a Citizen to participate in the jury process if summoned & not engaged in some superior form of service (eg, I was summoned for jury duty while assigned to Korea... The Army beats the County on that one...)

Stand down there, bud.

You'll notice that nowhere was I implying that I intended to be a "jackass" or even disrespectful. I was simply asking if there any areas to which I could reply that it was none of their business if I felt that it was personal, given that I am not on trial. The question the OP mentioned regarding how many guns he owned brought this to mind.

And you can spare the civics lesson, too. I understand and welcome my responsibility as a citizen. How's the view from your high horse? Can you see your house from up there?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#21]
They don't want independant thinkers that's why "talk radio" listeners get struck off the list.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#22]
What bumper stickers are on your car? –– say none, or maybe local team sticker.
Do you listen to talk radio? –– say no, or say local jazz station if you know it.
What news station do you watch? –– say you vary between ABC and NBC or whatever.
Do you own a gun? –– say no, or that you're a duck hunter
What kind of guns? –– none, or shotgun
How many guns? –– be consistent, whatever.
Do you hunt? –– say no, or that you're a duck hunter.
Are you pro life? –– feign ignorance, say you eat what you kill pretending to think he means a follow up to the hunting question.

My experience as well, except for the crime of reading the Wall Street Journal. The courts don't want literate employed white males as jurors.  

My answers above for if you WANT to maybe pass through and be a juror.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Sept. '99 Second Degree Murder trial of Clifford Steiger, Huntsville, AL.   We were asked name, age, where we work and where our spouses worked.  One other question was whether or not we could tolerate being on a murder trial with autopsy pics etc.

We nailed his ass to the wall after a day and a half deliberations despite one prosecution witness changing his story on the trial (he didn't do it!) and two witnesses not showing up.  'Ole Clifford would have gotten clean away with another murder (he did his first at 16 or so, was 30 during the trial, they'd been trying to get him since he was 18) if he had only changed his pants and thrown them away (pants had blood spatter that turned out to be the victim's blood).  I'm still convinced the defense lawyer through the case.

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
sat in a large roo but never made it to questioning.
this was at the federal courthouse also and I was looking forward to serving

That reminds me of the Simpsons episode where the family visits Australia and Homer jumps into the kangaroo pouch.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really...

Stand down there, bud.

You'll notice that nowhere was I implying that I intended to be a "jackass" or even disrespectful. I was simply asking if there any areas to which I could reply that it was none of their business if I felt that it was personal, given that I am not on trial. The question the OP mentioned regarding how many guns he owned brought this to mind.

And you can spare the civics lesson, too. I understand and welcome my responsibility as a citizen. How's the view from your high horse? Can you see your house from up there?

I'm sure he can but isn't it a tower made of glass.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Professional Ambulance Chaser: "Do you think America is too litigious?"

Me: "Yes!"

Empty Suit: "GTFO!"
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Do you own a gun?
What kind of guns?
How many guns?

No comment.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not in New Jersey you wouldn't. I recently did nine consecutive Wednesdays of grand jury. The prosecutor was trying for an indictment of a guy for a sawed off shotgun. I asked what the barrel length was and was told it didn't matter. Seemingly none of the Mahwah NJ pig shit took the trouble to measure it. It was sawed off and that was all that mattered. I explained to the assholes in the room that unless the barrel was less than 18" it was not illegal. All but me voted to indict. Tragic.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I was being questioned for a jury where the guy pinched his fingers at a
bank teller station and said he had all kinds of back problems etc since.

I told them I was injured in the Military and I live in pain everyday

I said he should just "Suck It Up"

The told me they did not need me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you have children?
Do you think you would be a good parent?
Do you think parents should be able to physically discipline their children?
Should they be able to do so in public?
Should a parent be able to hit their child with an open hand?

These were questions for a case where a father hit his 6 year old child on the top of his head with an empty plastic water bottle. They were at a local mall in the Dillard's and the child wouldn't stop touching perfume bottles. One of the employees called the police and the man was arrested for child endangerment, child abuse, interfering with a police investigation (he threw the bottle in the garbage), and shoplifting because his child had put one of the perfume bottles in his coat pocket.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't remember all of the questions, but they did ask about bumper stickers.  At the time, I had a Molon Labe sticker on the car.  I told them, and explained what it meant.  I was sure that would get me booted.

Believe it or not, they freaking picked me.  I ended up the foreman, and we found the guy not guilty of attempted murder.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you have a gun in your house?
Do you own a gun?
Do you have a GA firearms license?
Have you ever had to defend yourself?
Lots of questions about if you own/owned a business, had something to do do with insurance or processing claims, did background checks on folks for employment
Lots of questions about the types of injuries we'd suffered in the past  

Civil trial.  I got booted because I brought up tort reform and had a question about how to quantify damages.  Lady who was suing was awarded the largest settlement in my County's history.  She had gotten the snot beaten out of her by a guy cleaning the business where she worked.  Broke her jaw, shoulder, jacked up her back, concussion.  Had to have facial reconstruction surgery.  She sued the cleaning company because they did no background check on the guy who had been convicted of similar shit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They don't want independant thinkers that's why "talk radio" listeners get struck off the list.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

they should give you a late night comedy show
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Ugh.  The blatant stock anti-tort reform voir dire –– tacky and about five years out of date.

We got new jedi skills these days.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I don't remember all of the questions, but they did ask about bumper stickers.  At the time, I had a Molon Labe sticker on the car.  I told them, and explained what it meant.  I was sure that would get me booted.

Believe it or not, they freaking picked me.  I ended up the foreman, and we found the guy not guilty of attempted murder.

I probably would have picked you too given the anti-government and anti-authoritarian tones.  If the defesne wants someone who will hold the prosecution to its burden it is probably best to select those who are likely to be suspicious of the government in the first place.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I booted from a DUI case when i said you need actual proof (not just a "O he smelled like booze") of alcohol in the guys body before i could possibly convict.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We were not asked anything that personal.  We were only asked if we knew anyone in the Sheriff's or Prosecutor's offices, the victim, or the defendant, and how well, to ensure that we weren't friends with any potential witnesses.  There were no questions regarding our political stances.

This was my experience in North Carolina. The fact I worked for the Sheriff's Office must have influenced the defense attorney to let me go.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I was asked almost that exact set of questions as the op posted
they kicked me when they asked if you have ever worked in a LE, corrections, or parole/probation officer position

case was for a guy that trashed his landlords garage door when the land lord had a the audacity to ask for rent

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I was asked almost that exact set of questions

they kicked me when they asked if you have ever worked in a LE, corrections, or parole officer position

Lancaster or Dodge County?

I got booted off of a venire for a federal meth case within 6 months of getting my license, not many people know what to do with a conservative trial lawyer.  About a year before that I saw the former Chief Justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court walking around Douglas County courthouse with a juror badge on.  I doubt that he lasted much longer.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I was asked almost that exact set of questions
they kicked me when they asked if you have ever worked in a LE, corrections, or parole officer position

Lancaster or Dodge County?
I got booted off of a venire for a federal meth case within 6 months of getting my license, not many people know what to do with a conservative trial lawyer.  About a year before that I saw the former Chief Justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court walking around Douglas County courthouse with a juror badge on.  I doubt that he lasted much longer.  

Lancaster bout 2004 IIRC

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My friend was asked:

Do you own a gun?
What kind of guns?
How many guns?
Do you hunt?
Are you pro life?

The point of Voire Dire ((Sp?) Jury Selection) is to get the most impressionable, uninformed people possible on the jury....

The reason for this, is that in order to have a fair verdict, you cannot have people with strong pre-concieved opinions serving...

This means....

And the Defense Counsel is going to try to weed out 'hang 'em high' conservatives....

If it's a theft trial, the Defense Counsel will try to weed out business owners (who likely have been stolen from)...

The Prosecution, likewise, will not want those with prior convictions for theft on the jury....

The end result, we hope, is a mushy-middle Jury that will render their decision based ONLY on the evidence presented in court.....

Did you learn this in law school before you got your LAW degree? how do you find time to get a law degree on top of your MBA's and PH.D's while serving as an Enlisted Soldier?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I was asked if i have any experience with drugs or alcohol,
how i feel about people who do
do i own guns
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I probably would have picked you too given the anti-government and anti-authoritarian tones.  If the defesne wants someone who will hold the prosecution to its burden it is probably best to select those who are likely to be suspicious of the government in the first place.

Okay you have to tell us the best way to get out of this shit. I just received the damn questionnaire for Fed jury duty for the 2nd damn time. You get stuck on the fucking panel for 4 fucking years. I don't have time for this crap. Yeah, yeah, civic duty and all that shit. Help a bro out.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Never gotten a summons. Mil/LE background. Never gonna happen.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#45]
the defense only has a limited number of preemptory challenges. once they use those up they can only discharge jurors with cause... so they throw out people they know would find against their client, but to counter that, the prosecution does the opposite. eventually you get down to 12 people that neither side can get rid of... hopefully there are enough decent people left in the panel
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay you have to tell us the best way to get out of this shit. I just received the damn questionnaire for Fed jury duty for the 2nd damn time. You get stuck on the fucking panel for 4 fucking years. I don't have time for this crap. Yeah, yeah, civic duty and all that shit. Help a bro out.

4 years???  I just sent mine in –– I didn't see anything about 4 years!!  Was that written on the form, or did you find out some other way?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My friend was asked:

Do you own a gun?

What kind of guns?

How many guns?

Do you hunt?

Are you pro life?

This means....

Did you learn this in law school before you got your LAW degree? how do you find time to get a law degree on top of your MBA's and PH.D's while serving as an Enlisted Soldier?

Never claimed to have any of that...

Bachelor's - nothing more...

Although if you're such a genius, maybe you could poke some holes in that analysis???

I mean, it's not like they don't teach how the jury system works in civics class, so you should have *some* understanding beyond being a smartass....

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Never gotten a summons. Mil/LE background. Never gonna happen.

Yeh, they will probably punt you damn quick...

But you still might get the summons some day, like I said, I got mine while I was stationed overseas...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If there is any hint that you love... hate crime...

That you love hate crimes?

Maybe that sounded different than you intended it. But yes, I would kick someone out if they like hate crimes against any group of people.

Never been to jury duty before myself, but I have my call. Trying to get it voided so I don't end up wasting half a year and countless hours of work in my classes this year.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#50]
i did jury duty pool once,  some illegal alien that molested a relative... couldn't determine if it was his son or nephew that was the victim.

the defense asked if anybody has ever been molested, if anybody has a friend in jail, those are the only question i can recall at the moment.
i do remember the defense saying " you will be hearing words like penis, and anus and penetration, and if you consider that too much please raise your hand?"

they kept us for 12 hours, and the defense was able to toss a 60 person jury pool because he considered us too hostile.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top