Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:39:06 PM EST
I'm supposed to call tonight to verify my Jury assisgnemtn for the week. The recording tells me that I am to show up on Wednesday June 17 however I'm leaving on vacation on the 18th. What is the correct way to get out of a Jury Duty assignment in this situation. I didn't reschedule my Jury Duty b/c I was originally told that it would begin tomorrow the 15, so I didn't think it would interfere with my travel. But now, it's very possible it will interfere.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:45:32 PM EST
tell em you know what Jury Nullification is. They will let you go.

I however would not do that, because serving on a jury is a an honor.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:48:35 PM EST
I know here they are pretty forgiving about that kind of thing...I just told them I had vacation plans and they threw my name back in the hat and let me go. I ended up getting drawn again about a year later anyway.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:49:15 PM EST
Just explain to them, and see if they will reschedule your jury summons. I had to delay mine once, the day before I was supposed to show up. From talking to me they realized I wasn't trying to shirk my duty and wanted to be called back at a later date, so they worked with me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:50:54 PM EST
Tell them you can tell if a person's guilty just by measuring how far apart their eyes are in their head.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:55:26 PM EST
disagree with the prosecutor or defense attorney and they will let you go during voir dire.

the more cops and criminals you know the better off you are to getting excused, show some bias.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:55:41 PM EST
Just call and tell them that you need to reschedule.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:33:21 AM EST
I just called and they told me to that I can show up tomorrow and bring a copy of my travel itinerary to show the judge. The guy on the phone didn't guarantee me 100% anything, but he said it's usually not a problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:41:43 AM EST
I hope to god they're trying to form a jury for something involving indecent exposure online.

I also hope you're stricken incapable of suppressing the truck-load of laughter that would swell up inside you.

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:47:57 AM EST
Just say "I object" every time ANYONE speaks to you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:50:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By Garand1911:
disagree with the prosecutor or defense attorney and they will let you go during voir dire.

the more cops and criminals you know the better off you are to getting excused, show some bias.

I did that two weeks ago. Argued with the plaintiff's attorney and the defendant's. I think it scared them when I responded to the plantiff's question of "Would you have a problem awarding too much in a personal injury suit?" with "How much is too much?"
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:56:25 AM EST
My wife had to call and reschedule...

It's not a big deal....at least here it's not...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:04:23 AM EST
PUT IT IN WRITING, especiallly with a Federal court. I personally saw jurors get fined $100 and one guy taken off in handcuffs for not showing up in Fed court. (I had the papers so was OK)

If you have PRE-PAID travel tickets, it will be OK.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:08:39 AM EST
pretend you don't speak english
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:28:34 AM EST
Tell 'em you got AIDS and have to do some ACORN duty for GLT Pride Month
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:31:20 AM EST
Tell them that the dark lord Zultan hath commanded you carry out the message of complete robot control of the earth.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:35:25 AM EST
Call and explain the situation, ask them if they can bump you to the next jury call in a couple weeks.
Top Top