Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 7:27:16 PM EDT

My elderly female neighbor just called me saying someone was knocking on her door at 10 pm. She is almost 90 years old and not too healthy. Her husband, who flew 50 (that's right 50) bomber missions in WW II, is dead.
 Last week a guy who did some tree work for her one time came knocking on her door late scaring the shit out of her saying he would clean up her carport in the future if she would pay him now. Yeah. I'm sure it's the same guy.
 When she called I had just finished spending some time with my bride so it took me a minute to get dressed. I took a Surefire E2, a Smith 642 with FBI loads, a pair of brass knuckles, and some pepper spray. I went out the back door of my house so he couldn't tell exactly where I came from. My plan was tell him what time it is. If he dispalyed a weapon, shoot him. If he got smart, spray him and beat the shit out of him with the knuckles. If he gets the message, let him leave.
 By the time I got to her house, he was gone. I hate a predatorial junkie esp if they target old people. I am not interested in hearing anything about how much trouble I can get in stomping junkies because it's not my first time and I'm sorry if that is how the police/ law is in your location. Here I can stomp him and when the police come and see my elderly neighbor they will stomp him again and take him to jail. I won't be sticking around to talk to the police.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You might do better if you called the police and explained the situation.  If the police see you in the yard armed and they dont know about you, you might get a confrontation you really dont want.  You might want to have your neighbor call you if there are any knocks at the door late.  Then you can look and see who it is.  Tell her not to open the door after a certain time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Please inform her not to open the door after 10 pm to anyone unless they call first
Is her porch well lit? Perhaps motion triggered "bright" light will scare off some intruders
Does she have a menacing dog?
Could you plrovide her or help her to obtain a Surefire 6P? Does wonders on the retina
How about some pepper spray
An M-80 tossed through a window to an unsuspecting person person is an attention getter.
Firearms training?

Keep up the good job, regards

ACK
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Rustygun: Man you're a good guy to watch out for your elderly neighbor.  I personally would've call the local PD first and explain things.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]
why would anyone waste time calling the police first?  the 10 minutes or so you spend explaining anything to the dispatcher is just enough time to kill the old lady, ransack the house, steel anything of value, and be gone.

the resposibility to protect yourself and those around you belongs to YOU!!!
the police are not here to protect you.  they only take reports after a crime is already commited.  

i say rustygun did the right thing.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Good on you for looking out for your neighbor. If more people could count on support like that there would be less crime I'm sure.

How well do you know the Sherrif? Let him know about the situation, maybe he can help you. It's possible he knows the scumbag.

I'd bet money that scumbag will be coming back. He's got it in his head now that she's an easy mark. He probably even has a plan or two by now.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Loan her a big dog after dark.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Is she hot?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
why would anyone waste time calling the police first?  the 10 minutes or so you spend explaining anything to the dispatcher is just enough time to kill the old lady, ransack the house, steel anything of value, and be gone.

the police are not here to protect you.  they only take reports after a crime is already commited.  

I completely agree
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are justified in hitting him with brass knuckles you are justified in shooting him. If you aren't justified, it's the same charge.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Ditch the knuckles and get an ASP, get her a nice flashlight and maybe some spray, pack a cell phone.  

Good job taking care of the neighbor.  It is a sad state of affairs that most of us do not know our neighbors, much less their names, or trust any of them to ask for help.  I am guilty of this as well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+ 1.  Some parts of TN are more than 10 minutes, if they come at all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is she hot?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Good for you RustyGun.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Burn her a CD with the sound of a shotgun racking.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Rusty, I'd like  you for my mom's neighbor if my dad was no longer there to blow a hole in the front door.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I completely agree

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
There are pieces of crap all over. My 70yo. Mother In-Law was conned into improvments by a shady "contractor" last January. He had $20,000 of hers, and was working on conning $480,000 out of her before we found out and confronted the guy. We set up a meeting, talked long and hard about a script, and set him up. Too bad he likes to talk. Once he figured out the gig was up he ran, literally. We had enough for the PCSD Detectives to work on, they found the guy, and the case is at the prosocuters. He is being charged with 1st Degree Theft and some other tasty charges.

In the meantime, I get to see the guy occasionally as I'm out, and it takes a lot of restraint not to kill the MF'er. My Wife is more crazy than I am though, and when she sees him it's ugly. I'm truely worried about her, because she WILL run him over if she gets a chance. She is like a rabbid dog over him doing this to her Mother. His misfortune is he lives a few miles down the road we have to drive daily to get to town. I always have to breif her on restraint when she leaves the house, in that direction.

That said, I do not know what makes a person pick on the elderly, or children, but those type of people do not deserve a trial....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top