Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/28/2004 2:06:38 PM EST
I have a four wheeler that won't start. It has a 12 volt battery. Jump it off a car battery?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:07:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 2:08:12 PM EST by sgtar15]
Not a good idea. I would imagion alot of current would be going into it. A motorcycle batteries leak and explode alot easier than car batteries in my experience.

Acid in the eyes SUCKS!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:08:37 PM EST
I've done it long ago. Not sure if todays modern fourwheelers can handle a car batteries starting amps.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:09:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:09:49 PM EST
Thanks guys, I had guessed not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:09:58 PM EST
I jump my mc battery when it's needed. I just don't have my truck running when I do it. I made my own jumper cables with smaller clips so I don't ground out against the frame.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:10:18 PM EST
Just pop the clutch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:10:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By Pangea:
I've done it long ago. Not sure if todays modern fourwheelers can handle a car batteries starting amps.

It will only draw as much current as it requires. I've jumped gel batteries in motorcycles with car batteries plenty of times. No harm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:11:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:
I have a four wheeler that won't start. It has a 12 volt battery. Jump it off a car battery?

Yes it will be alright, make sure your connections are correct and DO NOT HAVE THE CAR/TRUCK RUNNING. Also the car battery has a longer cranking capacity so don't crank on the ATV starter longer than normal. Short bursts like usual.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:11:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 2:13:50 PM EST by Mike_Mills]
If it's the same chemistry as a car battery (lead-acid) then go ahead and do it. It should actually show higher than 12 V, more like 13.5V.

The smaller battery will accept current and charge dependant upon its (now depleted, low) state of charge. It doesn't care where the charge comes from, electrons don't have flavor or color or charm.

Hook them up. Let the battery charge for a few seconds or minutes, then start the four wheeler's engine and disconnect the car battery.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:19:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 2:20:17 PM EST by OLY-M4gery]
I've jumped motorcycles using cars, and cars using motorcycles.

It shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure there isn't too much sparking, and get the cables off as soon as the ATV fires up, to keep it's charging system intact.

You could probably leave the car off, to keep the possiblity of "surges" to a minimum.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:22:23 PM EST
I did it a few times last year on my Aprilia

But then I blew the voltage regulator

I won't do it again
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:23:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 2:24:07 PM EST by nationwide]
I have a beeg yellow taxi prestone booster pac that I've used to jump my KLR after it sits for 2 months whilst I traverse teh fruited plane.

Just follow normal safety procedures and you'll be otay!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:50:43 PM EST
The biggest problem most people have is that they put + on + and - on - and then complete a 24 volt system! Two twelves in a series If you put the starter cable car on a moter ground,and then the cables + and - cables on the started car no problem!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:55:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By ewils91:

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:

Yes it will be alright, make sure your connections are correct and DO NOT HAVE THE CAR/TRUCK RUNNING. Also the car battery has a longer cranking capacity so don't crank on the ATV starter longer than normal. Short bursts like usual.

Ditto, the ATV will only draw as much current as needed. DONT do it with the car running and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:56:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:09:09 PM EST

Many of those little alternators are not meant to charge up dead batteries. They can overheat and die prematurely. It's much better to use a three stage battery charger and fully charge the battery before starting. It's much less stress on your charging system.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:13:32 PM EST
I worked on motorcycles for years and we did shit like that with no problems all the time.
Dont connect the ground to the battery but to the frame. Your four wheeler will only draw the current it needs, no more, no less.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:16:13 PM EST
Get a new battery.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:17:03 PM EST
The amperage is different on a car battery and a 4 wheeler battery. Get one of those cheapy battery chargers for lawn mower batteries. They cost like $20 at AutoZone.
Remove the battery during the winter and hook the charger to it and flip the switch to charge/discharge. It alternately charges and trickle chargges the battery. That keeps it in good condition. I do it every year to my 4 wheeler battery. Same battery for 5 years now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:19:43 PM EST
I have jumped motorcyle batteries with a car battery before, because my bikes have been too big to push start.

I have also just left the car battery attached to the dead bike battery for a little while. It gave the dead battery enough charge for it to start the bike. It didn't charge it up much, I suspect because there was not enough difference in the voltage of the 2 batteries.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:29:47 PM EST

The biggest problem most people have is that they put + on + and - on - and then complete a 24 volt system! Two twelves in a series If you put the starter cable car on a moter ground,and then the cables + and - cables on the started car no problem!
at

What you discribe here is a parellel circuit, which increases amperage, not volts. As stated earlier a starter or any other electrical device only draws the current it needs, no matter how much is available. Jump it, car running or not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:35:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By bobbyjack:

Bob

This will fry the system instantly. Dont talk of what you dont know.

When boosting a vehicle install the cables like this:
Positive to positive first then negative from the boosting battery to the boosted vehicle frame.
Uninstall in reverse order.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:48:30 PM EST
I've jumped bikes from cars before...

Of course, a 1980's bike may be more current-tolerant...

Also, some 4-wheelers are 6v...

As long as it's 12v, you'll be fine, as it will only pull the amps it needs...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:07:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

Originally Posted By Pangea:

It will only draw as much current as it requires. I've jumped gel batteries in motorcycles with car batteries plenty of times. No harm.

+1
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:11:07 PM EST
I jumpstart my mower off the car while it is running. No problems at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:24:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By bobbyjack:

Bob

Sorry, you are a no-go at this station.

+ to + and - to - is a parallel circuit. The voltage remains the same across all legs of the circuit.

You have to hook + to - and + to - to get a series circuit. Picture a flashlight battery setup. It's + to - when you stack the batteries end to end. and you end up with 3 volts for a 2 D-cell light. 6 volts for a 4 D-cell light.

What do I win?
Top Top