Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 4:20:27 PM EDT
I saw this on the news, and thought it was a really cool story and wanted to share.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-judge-joins-veteran-in-jail-20160423-story.html

"We're going to turn ourselves in," the judge said.

As Serna sat down on the cot in his cell, WRAL reported, he heard the door rattle open again and saw Olivera standing before him. Olivera sat down beside him. Someone came and locked the door.

"This was a one-man cell so we sat on the bunk and I said, 'You are here for the entire time with me?'" Serna told WTVD. "He said, 'Yeah that's what I am doing.'"

A Gulf War veteran himself, Olivera was concerned that leaving Serna in isolation for a night would trigger his PTSD.

The two passed the time trading stories of their experiences in the military. Serna told WRAL: "It was more of a father-son conversation. It was personal."

"They have worn the uniform and we know they can be contributing members of society," Olivera said. "We just want to get them back there."
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2016 4:26:16 PM EDT by rdnkar]
made hot
great story
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:29:48 PM EDT
Nice sentiment on behalf of the judge

But, appearing before the same judge over 25 times?
I hate to say it but this guy has much larger problems then one night in jail.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2016 4:32:00 PM EDT by familyman357]
Interesting.  I don't have a whole lot of compassion for drunk drivers, though.  Hopefully, Serna can pull himself together before he kills an innocent person.  That would be a happy ending.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:42:24 PM EDT
I hate drunk drivers. Hopefully he can pull himself together and get the help he needs. He obviously has the strength and character to do it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:43:46 PM EDT
Now THAT is a judge.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2016 4:45:04 PM EDT by ilikeporkchops]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:14:58 PM EDT

"Serna has fought to stay sober, appearing before Olivera 25 times to have his progress reviewed"

The article doesn't say he was before the judge 25 times for drunk driving

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:17:02 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Krashdog:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Read Better.

Serna has fought to stay sober, appearing before Olivera 25 times to have his progress reviewed.

He was on a veteran treatment program that required him to check in with the judge for monitoring. On one of those occasions he somehow rigged the urine test and eventually came clean to the judge about it.

He was sentanced to a day in jail for lying about the urine test.

He did not appear before the judge 25 times for booze related crimes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:47:12 PM EDT

View Quote

You don't understand how those programs work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:01:27 PM EDT
That one night in jail and the actions of the judge may be the one thing that helps.  I love stories about real heros, both of them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:06:34 PM EDT
I'm an intake RN at a county jail and also had some issues in my mid 20's with PTSD (or so they say) which led to about 2 years of daily full throttle alcoholism. Eventually it led to a DUI and the loss of my best friends since high school. You know what helped me the most? Finally coming to the realization that I was the only one keeping myself from recovery by assuming society owed me something. Sure group therapy helped but it made me realize that there was more to life than dwelling on the past. It's sad I'm so jaded but it seems that PTSD is the go to crutch to justify everything from meth use to dealing drugs to beating the piss out of your wife. We have a repeat offender in here that served 2001-2009 and was just booked for the 5th fucking time an about 6 months for shooting drugs under the table IN COURT.

I guess I just have very mixed thoughts on the matter. Sometimes I wish someone would have kicked me in the ass alot sooner and told me life would pass me by without hesitation if I kept up my bullshit. So yeah this guy has a problem but sympathy isn't the solution.

Or maybe I'm just an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:20:19 PM EDT

View Quote

It sounds like most of those were check-ins- not different cases. Oftentimes in special diversionary courts (e.g. drug courts, family violence courts, etc....) and when defendants participate in diversionary programs, they have periodic check-ins with the judge to (1) confirm that the defendant is meeting his obligations and to (2) provide support to the defendant and/or to penalize him.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:38:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Randy_tailpipe:
I'm an intake RN at a county jail and also had some issues in my mid 20's with PTSD (or so they say) which led to about 2 years of daily full throttle alcoholism. Eventually it led to a DUI and the loss of my best friends since high school. You know what helped me the most? Finally coming to the realization that I was the only one keeping myself from recovery by assuming society owed me something. Sure group therapy helped but it made me realize that there was more to life than dwelling on the past. It's sad I'm so jaded but it seems that PTSD is the go to crutch to justify everything from meth use to dealing drugs to beating the piss out of your wife. We have a repeat offender in here that served 2001-2009 and was just booked for the 5th fucking time an about 6 months for shooting drugs under the table IN COURT.

I guess I just have very mixed thoughts on the matter. Sometimes I wish someone would have kicked me in the ass alot sooner and told me life would pass me by without hesitation if I kept up my bullshit. So yeah this guy has a problem but sympathy isn't the solution.

Or maybe I'm just an asshole.
View Quote

Not a complete one....sometimes sympathy works for people sometimes it doesn't....just like talk therapy helps some people for sociopaths it just sharpens their skill set...

You try...you wait....you see.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:39:41 PM EDT
Didn't seem like that judge looks at it as a mere job.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:43:00 PM EDT

View Quote

The appearances are just progress reports. Administrative appearances before the judge instead of a probation officer kind of thing. Not an indication he's been back in trouble 25 times.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:46:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:47:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

We need more judges like that
View Quote
+1

Top Top