Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2002 12:07:56 AM EDT
Judge Temporarily Bans Deer Hunt in Princeton, N.J., After Critics Say It's Dangerous, Cruel
By Jeff Linkous Associated Press Writer
Published: Dec 31, 2001
[url]http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAOQNYOWVC.html[/url]
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - A judge temporarily blocked a deer hunt Monday after animal rights groups complained the plan was dangerous to residents and cruel to the animals.
Princeton Township officials hired White Buffalo Inc. of Hamden, Conn., to kill some 1,300 deer in the densely populated area by shooting the animals at night with high-powered rifles fitted with silencers.

White Buffalo could also trap deer in nets and then, while holding the animals down, kill them with a device that fires a retractable, 4-inch steel bolt into their skulls - a technique known as "net and bolt."

The township is one of many New Jersey communities where an overabundance of deer has caused traffic accidents, crop damage and other problems. White Buffalo conducted a deer hunt in the township in 2001.

Bruce Afran, a lawyer representing animal rights groups and about 35 residents, said the restraining order remains in effect until a hearing early in 2002. Mayor Phyllis Marchand declined to comment.

Afran said the groups want to ban the "net and bolt" technique for deer in New Jersey. He said herds can be controlled in other ways, including tranquilizing deer and injecting them with contraceptives

If hunting is necessary, he suggested shotguns instead of rifles.

"In Princeton, there's no place that's not within the range of the rifles," Afran said.

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#3]

I have been hunting since I was 12... I am now 26, I have yet to track down a deer I shot. Most were dead before they hit the ground... How is that less humane than wounding one with my car, and having it suffer for 2 weeks before it starves to death and dies?

I will admit, I have seen some pretty scary people out hunting ( the ones that blast a shrub with their ultra mag because "It moved" but 99% of the hunters are responsible enough to know when not to take a shot,,,,,,,,, A**HOLES

Princeton Township officials hired White Buffalo Inc. of Hamden, Conn., to kill some 1,300 deer in the densely populated area by shooting the animals at night with high-powered rifles fitted with silencers.
View Quote
 Do they have any openings???
View Quote

Edited for spelling.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Princeton, N.J.,

that says it all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]
White Buffalo could also trap deer in nets and then, while holding the animals down, kill them with a device that fires a retractable, 4-inch steel bolt into their skulls - a technique known as "net and bolt."
View Quote

I'll be the first to propose same be done for OBL.  That sounds pretty sick alright.  Anyone got "specs" on that 4" bolt?

WTF?  Even this article wreaks of typical media BS.  High-powered rifles.  You mean they aren't using suppressed 10/22's?  They have to keep throwing those "buzzwords" out for the sheeple.  I've never seen a news article referring to any rifle other than high-powered.  Hell, I've even seen them write "high-powered pellet rifle" in their articles.  Pukes must be using that "Auto Fill In" feature on their computer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#6]
This incident is wrong on several levels. One being the suppossed "inhumanity" of hunting the deer, but the other, to me, more disturbing level is that it illustrates a Statist mindset. Why are they PAYING a company to control that deer herd when bow hunting is legal? Bow hunting is both safe and effective (when you have lots of hunters anyway). No worry about hitting neighbors with bows! Why deny someone the right to hunt on their own land? Why pay for something that can be accomplished FREE? You might say "Well what if the deer is wounded and runs onto the neighbors yard?" I say Big Deal - there are trespass laws dealing with that which allow hunters to follow up on wounded game.
The Bambists will just have to get over it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#7]
First off, this is no "hunt".  This is a planned kill off of a very overpopulated (deer, people and cars) area.  Baiting, fencing, night vision scopes, silencers, literally truckloads of carcasses, rolling butcher shop, etc.  No "hunting" as [i]we[/i] know it involved.  

Princeton NJ is a strange area, both terrain and people.  It goes from rural countryside to very crowded, very wealthy, areas in a weird patchwork.  Driving through town, it's not unusual to see people in the cap & gown garb usually reserved for graduation ceremonies.  The deer get so big & fat, they're amazing.  Two hundred pounders, dressed, are not uncommon.  The same rich people that don't want hunting also complain about the deer eating their shrubs.  People feel "sorry" for the deer and buy feed by the ton to feed the deer over the very mild winters.  There's no rifle hunting in NJ by state law because everywhere is somebody else's back yard.  The bits of open space are all within rifle range of somebody's house.  

OTOH, if you can find places to hunt, you can take a dozen deer a year.  Having lived in upstate NY, this is quite a change.  NY had generally skinnier deer, much farther apart, and a limit of one buck/year with a gun & one with a bow.  Doe were by permit only and varied each year.  It's probably changed some since I was there.

NJ has a crazy quilt of hunting regulations and areas.  Hundreds of different areas, each with slightly different rules.  Yet, farmers can take deer from their farmland almost year 'round.  Princeton was bow only for years, until a few deer were spotted downtown dragging arrows behind.  This lead to the fairly recent ban on all hunting in & around Princeton and the subsequent deer overpopulatiion.  I'm dunbfounded that theses clowns can't see the connection.  Driving through Princeton has become more like a game of dodge ball with deer.

It's an amazing university town, with amazing theater, music & art.  It housed Albert Einstein & has a multi billion dollar endowment.  How it can be such a stupid place just amazes me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#8]
"He said herds can be controlled in other ways, including tranquilizing deer and injecting them with contraceptives"

Who the hell's gonna have to pay for that? Freakin' morons!!!!

The county where I live approved bow hunting in parks and on private land within city limits. The anti's fought the resolution like hell, but it finally passed. All you had to do was take a bow hunters safety course and prove that you were proficient with your bow. I took the course but never got around to do any hunting. From what I've heard it's been pretty successful, and it doesn't cost the taxpayers a penny.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#9]
All the "control" methods mentioned here have been tried...unsuccessfully...for many years..in Amherst n.y....where the population explosion caused the same conflict....short of allowing hunting in that area....nothing has worked so far....either the deer are too good at surviving...or the humans are too good at argueing...usually the latter.....of course they will not allow bow hunting or controlled hunts (which the dec practices in other areas)....so the suv`s are still getting whacked......no sulution.........[argue]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#11]
You probably have not hunted in NY in some time the problem is the same here suburban communities overrun with deer --now that it is winter and teh weather is getting really cold they are comming further and further into town to find food each night.
I saw the news report on this a few days ago on the national evening news (forget which network) interview with people who have one of the highest lyme disease rates in the country one man who has  caughtthe disease a few times and had to have two dogs euthanized due to it. Also a lady whose daughter caught it in her backyard. Same lady does not want the deer hunted - The logic is just stupid --I would put the life of a wild (and at this point nusiance animal) above that of my own children How bone headed can I have your bank account and pin numbers so I check the ATMs near your house for dispensal compliance too. She wants the deer "relocated" -- doofus. She will be (and the ones like her) screaming for teh state to do something come febuary when there are starving and dead fawns and adult deer all over thier lawns. Oh by the way if your car insurance rates go up due to all the deer strikes be sure and complain.
Its the have it both ways mentality show ! todays topic: controlling deer populations without traumatizing the mall junkies,and be sure and tune in tomorrow for or perenial favorite topic: more criminals locked up but no new prisons built !!

Thanks peta all the starving deer will be sure and thank you too I'm sure.

Oh BTW the same report mentioned that western deer and elk -also overpopulated have devloped some disease or gotten a rarely seen disease that has infected just about 30% of all of them in 3 weeks it is fatal to those infected and resembles mad cow which is why they monitor it (usually about 3% show it yearly) in case it makes the jump to domestic animals.
They mentioned what the name was of the disease but I was too busy ranting at the TV.
Whitetail will probably get all sorts of opportunistic diseases this year as well, How stupid can these people be in that thier misguided efforts to "protect" deer they just might wipe em out or at least make them endangered. These morons really piss me off as a hunter I am always careful to get a clean shot and make sure the animal dosent suffer and to use all of the animal that I can any unused meat goes to a homeless shelter in Newburgh or Middletown or to needy families. Now these bone heads will drag hay bales into the woods to "help" the deer eat (actually makes them dependant on an unatural unstable food source like an aligator that people feed for a while then stop when it gets big or they move)But they wont go help other HUMANS out by volunteering to educate or help rehab housing or participate in job training programs --any number of things they could do to help thier own SPECIES instead they go off on this misguided maby pamby crusade 5 years of which has gotten us where? here? great guys thanks now maybe you should go back to college for a few more years or find a new project cause ya really f---ed that one up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks peta all the starving deer will be sure and thank you too I'm sure.

View Quote

HaHaHa! Those peta idiots will be calling for the introduction of wolves and cougers into those subdivisions next! hehehehehehe!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I think that the NJ liberals who object to hunting do something constructive 'bout the deer overpopulation.

I suggest that the animal-rights whackos go out during the rut and place condoms on the wild animals.

--------
"Owwww owwwwww owwwww, stop goreing me!"
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quick ned, thin out their numbers!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Rumor has it that the ny state dec introduced coyotes into the area.....why?....possibly to help regulate the deer herd?.....who knows...now, however, the coyotes are overpopulated......hhhmmm...let`s create ANOTHER problem.......guess it`s all in the name of JOB SECURITY.........[argue]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep wait till some kid gets killed or mauled by a bunch of coyotes or dogs start getting killed.
Luckily most of the area I hunt up here is private forest so if we go hiking or camping up there I take the CAR as a pack weapon as orange county is sitting on pistol permits right now.It is only patroled by the DEC regularly during hunting season so the rest of the year we rarely see anyone who is not from the club on the property so I dont have to worry about freaking out "city hikers". They have no qualms about going in the woods with thier children without so much as a bottle of water or a map where there are black bear, deer tic's, coyote, bobcat,timber rattler,copperhead's,and whatever else but the sight of another human with a firearm will spook them, go figure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Same on this end of the state.....people hiking during peak deer season.....WITH dog...NO color....we saw 2 coyotes this year...broad daylite...a first for me....at least around here.............(what the fuck is wrong with them?)
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#18]
You can't hunt deer, we can't hunt mountain lions...hmmmm
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think that the NJ liberals who object to hunting do something constructive 'bout the deer overpopulation.

I suggest that the animal-rights whackos go out during the rut and place condoms on the wild animals.
View Quote

This has been suggested more than once.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I say inject the PETA people with contraceptives...

[smoke]  [smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top