ps we do it better on the ground

What the video.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
lol...  His link-fu is strong.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
lol...  I didn't see the smiley is the link.  

Its my 007 linking abilities.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang!  Once he got the guy on the ground it was all over.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
dude, they both fight like bitches....grabbing eachother and shit...but they could both woop my ass
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm guessing you are refering to this?

Language not work safe.

media1.break.com/content/stickfight.wmv
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Still doesn't beat Judo.

"Joo don't know if I gotta knife or a gun, mang!"
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
dude, they both fight like bitches....grabbing eachother and shit...but they could both woop my ass

fight like bitches?  haha I think I heard him say gracie...that would be refering to brazilian style of jiu jitsu..  remember the first ulitmate fight club?  yea gracie smashed asses left and right.

Im level 2 combatives right now and go to jiu jitsu every thursday night.  rolling is good stuff.  they talk about him getting a choke and leaving it.  there were several times that he could have choked him out quick.  ground fighting tactics is one of the best forms of fighting around.  even a huge guy throwing punchs unless he takes you out in his first contact he is done because you control the ground.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm guessing you are refering to this?

Language not work safe.

media1.break.com/content/stickfight.wmv

Uhh, no. I'm referring to the video I linked to in my first post.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Still doesn't beat Judo.

dude, Judo is just the sport version of Ju Jitsu.

ETA, and it's really fucking late, and I didn't see the smily, and I just got the joke....*slaps self*
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#12]
what happened to Jeet Kun do?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Jeet Kune Do, as I understand it, is a mix-and-match of many.  Take what works for you, regardless of origin, and use it; more of a 'personal style' than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#14]
JKD, today, depends greatly on who you learn from. For example, the Straight Blast Gym with Matt Thorton teaches JKD, but their ciriculm is primarily Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling, boxing, and Muay Thai based
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
JKD, today, depends greatly on who you learn from. For example, the Straight Blast Gym with Matt Thorton teaches JKD, but their ciriculm is primarily Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling, boxing, and Muay Thai based

sounds practical.  muay thai rocks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I prefer GUN-fu, very effectice art
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

But what if they are using Kevlar-fu?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:20:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Just go jeet kun do on their asses.

bruce lee kick yah ass bits!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:20:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Still doesn't beat Judo.

lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#21]
GFT! SHRIMP!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fight like bitches?  haha I think I heard him say gracie...that would be refering to brazilian style of jiu jitsu..  remember the first ulitmate fight club?  yea gracie smashed asses left and right.

Im level 2 combatives right now and go to jiu jitsu every thursday night.  rolling is good stuff.  they talk about him getting a choke and leaving it.  there were several times that he could have choked him out quick.  ground fighting tactics is one of the best forms of fighting around.  even a huge guy throwing punchs unless he takes you out in his first contact he is done because you control the ground.

Army Combatives = big fucking thumbdown

Jiu Jitsu = big fucking thumbsup

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sounds practical.  muay thai rocks.

Oh....it rocks alright.

It rocks until you meet an expert in Jiu Jitsu and you get your fucking world rocked.

Watch some older UFC tapes of when Gracie started fighting.  He fucking ruled for about 4-5years.  He was almost untouchable.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Is there a difference between American Ju Jitsu and "regular" Ju Jitsu.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Gracie was taken apart by ken shamrock in UFC 3 or 4
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I am sure that one is better than the next, but in college I had a Karate instructor that was 50 something years old probably.  I guess his story is he went to nam and fell in love with it.  Trained for 20 some years and has that look like he didn't care if I died during class.  I wouldn't ever want to fight him.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Bottom of page has a recap of the fight.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/5389/octagon.html
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Royce was never "taken part" by Ken Shamrock.

Actually Royce beat Ken Shamrock in UFC 1 when Shamrock tapped from a choke.

They didnt meet again until UFC 5 where they fought in the first UFC SUPERFIGHT.
But Ken would only fight if there was a time limit imposed on their match.  

During the whole fight Shamrock was not the usual aggressive fighter that everyone was
so familiar with.  When the 30 minute period ended it was a draw.

The fighters were stood up and as they went to the clinch Shamrock landed a punch to
Royce eye.  By the end of the bonus time it had pretty much swelled shut.  

The fight was considered a draw.

Here is what Royce said after the fight:

"Shamrock came in for a draw. He knows he cannot beat me. He came in for a draw. He knew he just didn't want to lose, that's why he requested the time limit. He knew he just wanted to have a draw, for him that's a victory".

They never fought again.

IMHO if there had been no time limit the odds were definitely in Royce's favor.

LB
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Is there a difference between American Ju Jitsu and "regular" Ju Jitsu.

Well, the video is Gracie Ju Jitsu (Brazillian Ju Jitsu). BJJ is alot more grappling and less emphasis on throws and striking.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#32]
The guy in the hoody is wearing a fairy belt...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Royce was never "taken part" by Ken Shamrock.

Actually Royce beat Ken Shamrock in UFC 1 when Shamrock tapped from a choke.

They didnt meet again until UFC 5 where they fought in the first UFC SUPERFIGHT.
But Ken would only fight if there was a time limit imposed on their match.  

During the whole fight Shamrock was not the usual aggressive fighter that everyone was
so familiar with.  When the 30 minute period ended it was a draw.

The fighters were stood up and as they went to the clinch Shamrock landed a punch to
Royce eye.  By the end of the bonus time it had pretty much swelled shut.  

The fight was considered a draw.

Here is what Royce said after the fight:

"Shamrock came in for a draw. He knows he cannot beat me. He came in for a draw. He knew he just didn't want to lose, that's why he requested the time limit. He knew he just wanted to have a draw, for him that's a victory".

They never fought again.

LB

what a fuckin pansy!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Once Gracie got out of that headlock, he was just toying with that guy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#35]
So what happens when a grappler faces multiple attackers?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

They still use Jiu-Jitsu.  It's just more advanced training, of course.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember seeing Gracie break a guys arm in UFC. I can't remember which UFC or the name of the victim, but the image of that guys arm bending in way God had no intention is very vivid.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More to the point, when you are tied up on the ground with one opponent, what do you do about the 3 or so other opponents who are stabbing you in the back, sides, and neck?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I read the link to the Gracie page and found it interesting he did not like the UFC time limits especially for the Shamrock fight.

I also find UFC rules to be interesting when it comes to prohibited stikes/attacks. Pressure point attacks are not allowed. Pressure point attacks can be effective against grapplers. Old school saying here: things that make you go hmmm...........
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Army Combatives = big fucking thumbdown

At least they're moving beyond the thumb strike to the solar plexus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More to the point, when you are tied up on the ground with one opponent, what do you do about the 3 or so other opponents who are stabbing you in the back, sides, and neck?

Well then you drink the BJJ Kool-Aid, rant and rave about how BJJ is the most superior martial art form ever developed, mumble something about also training for that type of fight, and drive-on with a hard-on.

"The Way of No Way"
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy.  If there are 3 or 4 armed people, you don't go to the ground.  

Jiu-Jitsu isn't all about the ground.  It's origin is street fighting.  There are techniques for defense from weapons, multiple attackers, etc. just like any other martial art might have.  

I hope you are not looking for a macho self defense art where you are out numbered 4 to 1 with weapons and then 10 other people jump out of the dark and you are looking to fight your way out Bruce Lee style unharmed.  With any self defense, the best defense might be escape and retreat in such situations if possible.  

After all, if you come out of such situation alive and unharmed, isn't that what matters for self defense?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then you drink the BJJ Kool-Aid, rant and rave about how BJJ is the most superior martial art form ever developed, mumble something about also training for that type of fight, and drive-on with a hard-on.

"The Way of No Way"

Who was ranting and raving it was superior?  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Lots of broken knees.

Edit:  The Samarai practiced Jiu-Jitsu from my understanding.  It didn't start out as street fighting.

Edit2:  When I was learning Judi back 20 years ago, my instructor also did some jui-jitsu.  Grappling was part of it, but joint and chokes were much more a part then in GJJ.  I have a feeling that too many knees and elbows would be broken and dislocated if old school JJ was practiced.  If I remember correctly, the object was to disable your enemy as quickly and efficently as possible.  Pressure points, joints, chokes, strikes, grappling.

The Jui-Jitsu guy could have choked out the other guy half way through the video.  He also could have screwed up his joints bad.  Elbows and knees.

The reason Judo was invented in the 1800's was so that jui-jitsu like skills could be practiced as a sport rather then a martial art, and anyone from young to the very old could participate with a low risk of injury.  Judo can be practiced at 100% effort.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Who was ranting and raving it was superior?  

Don't get your panties in a twist.

It wasn't anyone here; I've just run into plenty of BJJ Kool-Aide drinkers before.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#46]
chinese boxing!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Im reading directly from beyonds the lions den and in UFC3 gracie threw in the towel on his second fight . Shamrock never agreed to the time limit said he wanted 2 hour fight but owners changed it. Your right about draw but gracie was carried from ring by his brothers if you watch it. Im not saying BJJ isnt effective , ive trained a little in it and I have a friend whos hardcore into it. And i will look forward to Gracies fight on News Year. And 2 of the  champs in the UFC right now, Liddell, and Frankin are strikers not grapplers. Not trying to start a fight over one martial art be superior to another.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

LB

Maybe... Royce is a good fighter but IIRC at the end of the fight Royce was basically carried away while Ken stayed to do an interview. I thought at the time that Ken could have won that one.

The Gracies are good but they have an almost godlike reputation that is a bit overblown.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But what if they are using Kevlar-fu?

Then mix in a little Headshot-fu.  Seriously, someone wearing kevlar is apparently planning on getting shot at, and would likely be packing more than just fists.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone follow the Ultimate Fighter tv show? I heard that Shamrock and Tito who are the coaches for Ultimate Fighter 3 got into a brawl so should be interesting to see that when they air it. I agree with the post that Gracie was good but not godlike. He did talk alot about how his BJJ was superior to everyone else's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top