Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2010 12:18:16 PM EDT
Is this outfit as much of a scam as it seems to be? Everything is always 70% off or some ridiculous thing on their TV commercials. Plus I get their crap in the mail about once a week.  Are the suits crap? Made in Belize or what?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard of them but don't have any experience with them.

Go to a thrift store.  Thank me later.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
They are about like Men's Wearhouse, I think.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The suits are of good quality.  Usually you have to buy a few to get the good price.  The sticker price is what is ridiculous.  They charge absurd amounts for alterations.  

I would avoid them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're looking for a reasonably priced decent quality suit, go Mens Warehouse.

Yes, the owner of MW is a big lib.  So what.  I'm not shopping for a political discussion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
They make nice stuff, but whenever they have one of these "blowout sales" they jack the prices on everything 200% the week before.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The suits are meh.

You'll be better off with a Brooks Brothers suit or something like that. They are mainly a mall store from what I have seen and have the jewelry store mentality of listing items at 300% retail and then having 80% off sales all the fucking time.

Unless you're an idiot, seeing an 80% off sale 365 days a year should raise a few flags.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Um, no.

You don't have to spend 1000s on your suits to look professional, but a thrift store is not the place to stock your closet.  Casual wear perhaps.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]
They are decent suits for what you pay. I bought 2 suits there when I was younger and just out of college.

If you can afford it I would look elsewhere though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to the nearest moderately sized city nearby and find a privately owned suit store. They will fit you down to your leg hairs and get you a great suit. It wont be cheap, but it won't look cheap either.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, no.

You don't have to spend 1000s on your suits to look professional, but a thrift store is not the place to stock your closet.  Casual wear perhaps.

I wouldn't buy a suit there for a job, but for going to church, sure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, no.

I wouldn't buy a suit there for a job, but for going to church, sure.

sure, that'd work

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If you're looking for a reasonably priced decent quality suit, go Mens Warehouse.

Yes, the owner of MW is a big lib. So what. I'm not shopping for a political discussion.

Gerorge is a big libtard!!?? Say it ain't so....
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Who in the hell told this bastard that he could just decide to abbreviate his first name name to "Jos."?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]
In the past, I've had good luck buying suits at the Burlington Coat Factory stores. They usually carry Brooks Bros., Geoffrey Beene, and similar quality. I spent the time to really inspect them in case they were seconds...but I never found anything wrong with any of them. The prices were very good.

I don't know if they still carry suits...but it's worth a phonecal to ask.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
In my experience Jos. A. Banks is a major step up from Mens Warehouse.  At least around here, the MW's are staffed by punks wearing t-shirts and baggy jeans that don't know the least bit about style, and more importantly fitting a suit.  This is usually accompanied by trendy loud music I don't like or understand.  

At least at Banks' they are professional, not a bunch of punk ass kids, and they do a good job for the price.  They can get something fitted and ready to go in a day or so if you ask nicely.  Just don't believe any of their 'prices' as its been stated before, they're all WAY too high.  Plan on taking off at least 70% or more of any price regardless of any 'sales'.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely better than Men's Warehouse but go when there is a sale.

I prefer Brooks Brothers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#18]
They used to produce their line in Baltimore using US tailors.

Now it's Bangladesh or some such place.

Their clothing is manufactured to a price.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
S&K is another good place to get suits
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why does my suit smell like formaldehyde?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I was looking at suits recently and ended up just going with Macy's since they were reasonably priced and looked good. I did really like this Hugo Boss suit at Nordstrom's but it was more expensive of course. Brooks Brothers is really nice, but is way out of my price range. Depends how much you want to spend on a suit though. I'd probably spend more on a suit if i was going to use it everyday, but since i hardly wear a suit I decided to go with a more inexpensive one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#22]
What about Leisure Suits? Thrift store perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
They serve the bottom of the market with respect to quality.  Someone has to.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
It's so nice having this place in the neighborhood
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In my experience Jos. A. Banks is a major step up from Mens Warehouse.  At least around here, the MW's are staffed by punks wearing t-shirts and baggy jeans that don't know the least bit about style, and more importantly fitting a suit.  This is usually accompanied by trendy loud music I don't like or understand.  

At least at Banks' they are professional, not a bunch of punk ass kids, and they do a good job for the price.  They can get something fitted and ready to go in a day or so if you ask nicely.  Just don't believe any of their 'prices' as its been stated before, they're all WAY too high.  Plan on taking off at least 70% or more of any price regardless of any 'sales'.  

+1 on this post. I shopped at Joe Banks for years and was a satisfied customer. Men's Wearhouse is light years ahead now of what it used to be, which was a cross between embarrassing and no style at all (I'm talking mid 1980's). Shop Joe Banks until you can get to Brooks Brothers, or if in Houston, Norton Ditto.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I wear pajamas to work so  I don't often buy a suit or wear one.
When I do, I go to Lord and Taylor. If they are still in business, try em. Ralph Lauren, Chaps etc. Knowledgeable staff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I needed a summer suit for a wedding a couple years back kind of quick and went to Jos A Banks. Got a good deal but they wanted more for rush alterations so I just bought it off the rack and took it somewhere else to have it altered. Worked out pretty well as I got it altered the next day cheap and the probably did a better job.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Not an expert on "good suits" , but JCPenny seems to have a nice selection at decent prices.    Bought my 16yr old son one there for his activities, and I was surprised at how nice they looked.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not an expert on "good suits" , but JCPenny seems to have a nice selection at decent prices.    Bought my 16yr old son one there for his activities, and I was surprised at how nice they looked.

True. If you are a regular size and nothing weird in arm or leg length etc. you can go to JC Penny, Macy's etc and do just fine. Wait for a sale. Lord and Taylor will also have sales.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. If you are a regular size and nothing weird in arm or leg length etc. you can go to JC Penny, Macy's etc and do just fine. Wait for a sale. Lord and Taylor will also have sales.

I'm a 42 Tall, and they had a huge selection of sizes, including 42T in all of the versions they were selling.   Also had matching vests to go with them if you wanted them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#31]
If you need a suit in a pinch, sure.

But most OTR suits like from those kinds of places are extremely cheap and will fit poorly no matter what.  Modern suits in general just suck when it comes to fit, quality and price.

I buy most of my (vintage) suits from thrift stores and they are awesome.  If you do go thrift shopping, you need to know what to look for.

mrlapel.blogspot.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=594939&page=1
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Jos A. Banks is nicer than men's warehouse.  Men's Warehouse has good shoes, socks, belts, and maybe a few ties...

I would at least stick to your local premium shop for shirt, pants, jacket, and ties.  Don't forget alot of these local shops will alter for free if you purchase from them.

If you don't dress up that often (which most men don't) there is nothing wrong with getting just one nice suit and getting some different ties to change up the look.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.prisonflicks.com/images/MCVSandersSuit.jpg

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Ive always had good luck with Bachrach.

Decent prices and quality suits
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Invest the extra coin in a Hart Schaffner & Marx dark blue, or dark gray, suit.  Don't dry clean it too often, and don't wear it every day.  try not to keep anything in the pants pockets.

It will last you a very, very long time.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Invest the extra coin in a Hart Schaffner & Marx dark blue, or dark gray, suit.  Don't dry clean it too often, and don't wear it every day.  try not to keep anything in the pants pockets.

+100 bazillion. Mine are 20 years old and still look a#1.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

+1

Hart Schaffner & Marx makes a good quality, affordable suit that will last you many years.  It's worth the extra cost.  

Just be sure you don't buy a brown suit.  

Dark blue or gray with black shoes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Their cuts are too conservative and I think the service sucks.

YMMV.

If you are willing to pay for suits from there, go to Bachrach instead.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Their higher priced suits are GTG.  In fact, one of there signature series is the most favorite suit I own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I just go to the major department stores.  I always feel like i am getting ripped off at the specialty suit stores.

forget MW, that screams of cheap to me
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Jos. Bank (for their base suits) are better than MW but not as good as Brooks Brothers. Yeah, they will rape you on alterations. Never pay full price. As you surmised, they run crazy specials all the time. The best time to buy their suits is when they run the 'Buy one, get two free" sale. The stores will usually work with you if you don't want all three suits. The last time I walked in for the "buy one, get two free sale" I told them I only wanted one suit - they said "No problem, we'll give you 67% off one suit". Also, most stores don't care which sizes you buy. You could walk in with two buddies during the 'buy one get two free' sale. Each of you could get a suit in a different size with just the cost of one.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I got lucky. I went shopping the other day and the local Dillards just happens to be the closeout store for the entire south. I purchased 4 pairs of Hart Schaffner Marx lined slacks for 27 dollars a pair. I might go purchase a suit in a few weeks.

For the record HSM was all my Dad ever wore.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Jos. Bank (for their base suits) are better than MW but not as good as Brooks Brothers. Yeah, they will rape you on alterations. Never pay full price. As you surmised, they run crazy specials all the time. The best time to buy their suits is when they run the 'Buy one, get two free" sale. The stores will usually work with you if you don't want all three suits. The last time I walked in for the "buy one, get two free sale" I told them I only wanted one suit - they said "No problem, we'll give you 67% off one suit". Also, most stores don't care which sizes you buy. You could walk in with two buddies during the 'buy one get two free' sale. Each of you could get a suit in a different size with just the cost of one.

A good idea to ask!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Ive got one of their suits. Not bad but I didnt need to have alterations done to it. I usually go to Macys when they have a sale. Ive gotten some nice suits there for less than Jos A Banks.

Mens Wearhouse doesnt really strike me as quality or value. But Im not a suit aficionado.

ETA I think its JABs that has a line thats made in Mexico from US components that are a great value. Or so a buddy swares by them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The suits are meh.

You'll be better off with a Brooks Brothers suit or something like that. They are mainly a mall store from what I have seen and have the jewelry store mentality of listing items at 300% retail and then having 80% off sales all the fucking time.

Unless you're an idiot, seeing an 80% off sale 365 days a year should raise a few flags.

I like their suits. But if thegerman is paying Brooks Brothers all the way. If I'm paying I can get a couple good suits for $400. unlike Mens wearhous they don't wrinkle instantly.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd pass on JosABank and get a Brooks Brothers during their semiannual sale....or....get a high end suit like Hickey Freeman or Oxxford new off Ebay, and take it to a local tailor (Europeans and HK seem to be the best) so that he can fit it to you and make it look perfect.  The suit will cost less, the alterations a little more, but overall, you'll save cash and have a suit that'll last you years.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The suits are meh.

This...  The only suits I will buy are Brooks Brothers.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I wear J Banks suits all the time..I wait until their sales though, good quality for the price IMO. Their shirts are really good as well as their sport coats. I am satisfied.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is this outfit as much of a scam as it seems to be? Everything is always 70% off or some ridiculous thing on their TV commercials. Plus I get their crap in the mail about once a week.  Are the suits crap? Made in Belize or what?

If you tell us where you're at in AZ, we can tell you MUCH better suit stores that are near you.  For the prices you'll spend at Men's Wearhouse, you should be able to get something well built and at least half-canvassed at a better place.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#50]
You can find suits at both Nordstrom and Brook Brothers on sale for $500-600 (less at their Outlets, but the quality may also be lower).  That's what I've been buying lately, and I'm happy with what I am getting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top