Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 10:54:43 AM EDT
The magic mirror

Winds of Change has commentary on the "24-star" letter, signed by every member of the JCS, to the Washington Post expressing disappointment in an editorial cartoon by Tom Toles.

The WaPo cartoon showed a soldier who had lost both arms and legs. SECDEF Rumsfeld, portrayed as a doctor, tells him "I'm portraying your condition as 'battle-hardened'".

The small figures at the bottom of the cartoon say, "I'm prescribing that you be stretched thin. We don't define that as torture."

The JCS letter's tone was almost man-to-man; or maybe better, father to stranger. Unlike the reaction to the Danish cartoons depicting Mohammed, the letter did not convey the slightest shade of warning. In fact it went out of its way to affirm the right of the Washington Post to run the cartoon.

Editorial cartoons are often designed to exaggerate issues -- and your paper is obviously free to discuss any topic, including the state of readiness of today's Armed Forces.

What it did convey was disappointment; and in so doing appealed to the old-fashioned standard of taste and decency. The letter went on.

However, we believe you and Mr. Toles have done a disservice to your readers and your paper's reputation by using such a callous depiction of those who have volunteered to defend this nation, and as a result, have suffered traumatic and life-altering wounds.

But JCS may have been wrong to think that the cartoon was about "the state of readiness of today's Armed Forces". No. It was far more appropriately an unwitting yet brilliant commentary on the souls of Tom Toles and the Washington Post editors themselves. John Kennedy once observed that "A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers." One might add that people most clearly reveal their statures by what they choose to mock.

posted by wretchard at 7:04 PM | 126 comments  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What it did convey was disappointment; and in so doing appealed to the old-fashioned standard of taste and decency. The letter went on.

Taste and decency?  Rags like the Washington Post and the NYT forgot what those were long ago.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, they actually found their balls, and said something?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Where's a pic of the cartoon?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
A 24 Star Letter to the Washington Post
by Robin Burk at February 1, 2006 09:06 PM

The following virtually unprecedented letter was sent yesterday by all members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to the managing editor of the Washington Post:

We were extremely disappointed to see the editorial cartoon by Tom Toles on page B6 in the January 29th edition. Using the likeness of a service member who has lost his arms and legs in war as the central theme of a cartoon is beyond tasteless. Editorial cartoons are often designed to exaggerate issues -- and your paper is obviously free to discuss any topic, including the state of readiness of today's Armed Forces. However, we believe you and Mr. Toles have done a disservice to your readers and your paper's reputation by using such a callous depiction of those who have volunteered to defend this nation, and as a result, have suffered traumatic and life-altering wounds.
Those who visit with wounded veterans in local hospitals have found lives profoundly changed by pain and loss. They have also found brave men and women with a sense of purpose and selfless commitment that causes truly battle-hardened warriors to pause. Where do we get such men and women? From the cities and farmlands of this great Nation - they serve to be a part of something bigger than themselves. While you or some of your readers may not agree with the war or its conduct, we believe you owe the men and women and their families who so selflessly serve our country the decency to not make light of their tremendous physical sacrifices.
As the Joint Chiefs, it is rare that we all put our hand to one letter, but we cannot let this reprehensible cartoon go unanswered.

Sincerely,

PETER PACE, General U.S. Marine Corps, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

EDMUND B. GIAMBASTIANI, JR., Admirial, U.S. Navy, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

MICHAEL W. HAGEE, General, U.S. Marine Corps, Commandant of the Marine Corps

PETER J. SCHOOMAKER, General, U.S. Army Chief of Staff

MICHAEL G. MULLEN, Admiral, U.S. Navy, Chief of Naval Operations

T. MICHAEL MOSELEY, General, U.S. Air Force Chief of Staff

The WaPo cartoon showed a soldier who had lost both arms and legs. SECDEF Rumsfeld, portrayed as a doctor, tells him "I'm portraying your condition as 'battle-hardened'".

The small figures at the bottom of the cartoon say, "I'm prescribing that you be stretched thin. We don't define that as torture."

Reprehensible, indeed.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#5]
it would be nice if tom toles lost his arms and legs. i wonder if his cute little toons would change then...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The offending 'toon:

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
the over-reaction to this is on par with the Muslim world's over-reaction to the caricatures of Muhammed.

The editorial cartoon was a comment on Rumsfeld's refusal to acknowledge facts, not a mockery of wounded soldiers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't think the Joint Chiefs ever lost them.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Do NOT piss off this man!

Ooh-Rah!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think the Joint Chiefs ever lost them.  

Ehh, I wouldn't say that....lets face it, to get a star these days, one almost must become a ball-less boot licking, PC line toeing, political wannabee. I am not saying ALL are like this, but in general, and the more stars, the more it gets like this....look at that pussy Clark, you know the former General who ran for President....

These are also the same leaders who say the troops aren't allowed to bring home souvenirs, talk like politicos, and act like sycophants.

Sorry the days of real leaders like LeMay, Patton, Puller, etc were overtaken by political weenies like Bradley, Eisenhower, etc, and it hasn't slowed since.

I don't know if all the JC's were neutered, but I am sure some of them are....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the over-reaction to this is on par with the Muslim world's over-reaction to the caricatures of Muhammed.

A calm, collected letter from military officers is on par with street rioting and recalling of ambassadors?

What planet are you on?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A calm, collected letter from military officers is on par with street rioting and recalling of ambassadors?

What planet are you on?

Planet DU, home of moral equivalency?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#15]
That 'cartoonist' isn't fit to lick the boots of even the lowliest service member .

Shame on him. Shame.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw that faggot liberal piece of shit try to defend his cartoon today on CNN.  He's not worthy to clean the latrines for the men and women in the US Military.

I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top