Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/14/2006 8:24:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 8:25:32 AM EDT by tacman22]
Hey, Im graduating from college in about 6 months, thinking about where I want to go from there. Options are pretty much open, but I have a few friends in the AF and they say its a great experience. Im still not ready to settle down, have 2.5 kids and pay the mortgage, know what I mean? I want a life changing expereince that will increase my skills and see the world. I want to either go into logistics or be pilot. Anyone serve in the AF, anything I shoul know, opinions?

Thanks

Tac
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:28:49 AM EDT
AF is a good way to go.

You would also be able to fly in the Army, CG, Navy or Marines, if that's
what you wanted to do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:54:42 AM EDT
Did 4 years in Active Duty AF. Got out in '01 and joined the Alaska Air Guard to fly on Pavehawks. I'm currently TDY and we're working out of Fort Carson in Colorado Springs... I've spent the last two weeks walking around saying "thank GOD I joined the Air Force and not the the Army." That said, you're going to hear a shit load of different opinions on the board. You're best bet is to visit you local recruiters, of all branches, and make your own decision.

Good luck,
~Dg84
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:08:57 AM EDT
I did 21 years active duty in the USAF. I can give it my personal recommendation.

Go for it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:22:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:
I did 21 years active duty in the USAF. I can give it my personal recommendation.

Go for it.

+1 all the way, only make mine 22 years!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:29:46 AM EDT
I was in the AF for 6.5 years (82-89). It was okay. The bureaucracy drove me out. Assuming you can stand working in a LARGE organization, you'll do fine.

Pilot - 1st class citizen
Logistics - 2nd class citizen

Also, you should be aware of this fact of life in the AF before you jump in (I was base civil engineering -- also a 2nd class citizen).

- CD
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:30:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:30:48 AM EDT
I was active-duty in the Air Force segment of joint US Space Command for 4yrs.

It seemed to me, the other branches did the same cool stuff I was doing, but I never had to do the crappy stuff they did.

Win-win.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:33:48 AM EDT
The chances of you flying in the AF are very very slim, a better bet would be to go Army if you want to fly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:45:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 9:47:46 AM EDT by SchlaffTablett]
8 years active as a SSGT (2nd class as above) but I still wouldn't trade it for anything. 3years in Germany, 5 in Fl. I got great training and it opened up so many doors afterward it's unreal. Definitely make your recruiter work and get detailed with the questions (preferrably with someone doing the job you're interested in). If you want to get married (I wouldn't) they have some good programs for the wife and she may be eligible for priority employment. That said, the short answer is hell yea, go for it. --ST

BTW, Yes, being a pilot is harder in the AF, but there are a ton of other flying jobs (intel, nav, weather, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:48:44 AM EDT
If you really want to do something different become a CRO or STS officer. USAF is a good choice. I was in 8 yrs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:48:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CamperDad:
I was in the AF for 6.5 years (82-89). It was okay. The bureaucracy drove me out. Assuming you can stand working in a LARGE organization, you'll do fine.

Pilot - 1st class citizen
Logistics - 2nd class citizen

Also, you should be aware of this fact of life in the AF before you jump in (I was base civil engineering -- also a 2nd class citizen).

- CD

Was in for 10 yrs, was a good life, would slightly change his class distinctions above= Officer is first class citizen, enlisted is 2nd class. I was enlisted still had a good time but if could do it all over again would go in as officer. Its a hellovaway to see the world!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:54:39 AM EDT
What's your major?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:15:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 10:19:53 AM EDT by tacman22]

Originally Posted By Spade:
What's your major?

Im finishing a degree in Business: Organizational Management
I want to do something that will give me further skills in logistics, supply chain management etc. btu at the same time be something different then the normal 9-5 office environment.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:27:26 AM EDT

(I was base civil engineering -- also a 2nd class citizen).

- CD

When did CE get moved up the food chain to 2nd class citizen?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:29:25 AM EDT
There is a lot to do in the logistics field. If you get into the airlift world it's similar to running a freight carrier operation. Also, if you got into the acquisition business you'd be working with contractors supplying systems to the AF.

Logistics is a big field, just waiting for someone with your enthusiasm to make it run smoothly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:38:13 AM EDT
Dude, are you sure you want to join the USAF? That's almost like joining the military!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:38:50 AM EDT

- CD

Hey!

The way I always looked at it...

Pilots - 1st class citizens
Support pukes (log, ce, services, etc) - 2nd class citizens
Navs - 3rd class citizens (because after they stop flying they compete with pilots for the same jobs).

- CD
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:46:35 AM EDT

- CD

Hey!

The way I always looked at it...

Pilots - 1st class citizens
Support pukes (log, ce, services, etc) - 2nd class citizens
Navs - 3rd class citizens (because after they stop flying they compete with pilots for the same jobs).

- CD

Juuuuuuuuust kidding!

The AF is about airplanes, so the drivers are at the top of the heap. How do you spot a pilot in the club? Don't worry about it, he'll let you know who he is.

Everything under that either directly or indirectly supports the airplanes.

It could be the crew chief changing tires, or the guys in the medical hobby shop supporting the person who supports the airplane. Or the guy who fills in holes in the runway.

Every little cog has a role to play in the machine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:00:48 PM EDT
Go for it.
Top Top