Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 4:25:42 AM EDT
John Kerry's Mysterious Combat “V” (link)

As the authors of Fake Warriors: Identifying, Exposing and Punishing Those Who Falsify Their Military Service, we receive scores of emails on our website either asking questions about the Fake Warrior phenomenon (which has reached epidemic proportions), or reporting sightings which sometimes lead to exposure and even fines or jail terms.

One Vietnam vet with nearly forty years of military service who retired as a major, spurred on by the revelations in our book, and, in his words. “having seen hundreds of DD 214s” (a veteran’s Record of Transfer or Separation), recently decided to take a close look at John Kerry’s DD 214, which is posted on his website.  What the major called to our attention, which we have since verified, raises some extremely troubling questions about John Kerry’s Silver Star.  Keep in mind that the Silver Star is the third-highest medal our Nation can bestow (after only the Medal of Honor and the three service “Crosses”).

Kerry's DD 214 lists a Silver Star with a combat “V” (for valor).  As the major correctly observes, the “V” is never awarded with the Silver Star.  But the actual wording on Kerry’s DD 214 (see www.johnkerry.com) is: “SILVER STAR WITH COMBAT ‘V’.”

There is an abundance of anecdotal evidence that a combat “V” (called a “Combat Distinguishing Device”) is simply not awarded with a Silver Star.  For example, a former Vietnam War POW told us that he has “three SSs, and there was no V for any of them.” Countless other Silver Star recipients all say the same thing.  Why?  Because, among other reasons, it would be redundant to award a Silver Star for “gallantry” (the statutory term) and then embellish it with a “V” for valor.

Most conclusive, however, is that the law is very clear about the award of Combat Distinguishing Devices.  According to the Navy Awards Manual:

Bronze "V" (Combat Distinguishing Device).

Prior to . . . 1974, the "V" was authorized for wear on the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Navy Commendation Medal and Navy Achievement Medal. Between . . .1974 and . . . 1991, the "V" was authorized for wear on the Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal and Navy Commendation Medal. [In] . . . 1991, the "V" was authorized for wear on the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal and Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal.  In all cases, the Combat Distinguishing Device may only be worn if specifically authorized in the citation.  See also http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Valor_device.

Because the “V” is authorized for only the ten awards cited above, but not for the Silver Star, Kerry’s Silver Star citation (the “explanation” of why the award was made) does not even mention the “V” for valor (see www.johnkerry.com).

The presence of the combat “V” with Kerry’s Silver Star on his DD 214 raises two extremely disquieting questions.  How did the unauthorized “V” get there, and why has Kerry allowed it to remain?

The first question should not be taken lightly because we are talking about possible federal crimes.  We are talking about the possibility of a forged official document. We are talking, as well, about Title 18, United States Code, Section 1001, which states: “[W]hoever, in any manner within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the United States, knowingly and willfully . . . makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years or both.”

Was the combat “V” added by a sloppy clerk or a yeoman’s typo thirty years ago? Was someone pressured or persuaded to add it?  If Kerry had nothing to do with the gratuitously added combat “V,” why didn’t he have his DD 214 corrected when he was separated from the Navy?

Which gives rise to the second disturbing question:  If Kerry was not a party to the unauthorized “V,” why, for all these years, has he allowed his DD 214 to remain uncorrected and to repose on his website?

In light of the recent Swift Boat revelations and the cloud they have cast over Kerry’s awards, one plausible answer is that this is yet another example of Kerry’s multiple, and increasingly transparent, lies about his alleged heroics in Vietnam.

Let’s hope it won’t take a controversial TV spot to spark a mainstream media investigation of how candidate Kerry received an unearned “V” for valor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#1]
interesting. but i think it requires too much attention to detail and analysis of actual facts for the mainstream media to get involved.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
More unanswered questions the Kerry camp will claim are irrelevant.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Silly rabbit! Cyanide says it's all lies. Therefore none of this could even possibly be true. Now go sit in the corner!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
interesting. but i think it requires too much attention to detail and analysis of actual facts for the mainstream media to get involved.

Good analysis.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:10:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The mainstream media will not get "involved", but not because of too much attention to detail.

If this question was raised in relation to President Bush the story would be on the front page and Rather would lead with it on the Evening News.

So distribute the info as best you can.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

it seems to be the bigger question is did he deserve the silver star to begin with.

My question is; who was giving him all these unearned medals?  I think he is a commie plant.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought he threw them over the wall in DC? Oh, wait...those were ribbons...oh wait, he said they were they same thing...oh wait...I'm confused
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:43:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#10]
All of his personnel and medical records are in question now.  He has committed a 35 year fraud on the country in his sick attempt to become president.

My contempt for this ass of a man knows no bounds.  He literally makes my stomach turn.

I served 28 years in the Navy and I can think of at least three scenarios how Lt. Kerry falsified and embellised on his service record.  Just going through his online documents I located about six "strange" areas.

He is a very dangerous man who is trying just too hard to be president.  He must be stopped, and I believe the American People are going to do just that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I heard he rec'd a CMH w/ 3 PH's, bacon, lettuce, tomato and cheese.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#12]
The V device is what its all about.... When I was in The 988th MP Co,, a couple of guy's got Army Commendation medals, but with the V device for valor, due to their actions in Panama during Just cause. They got these awards a full two years after the fact.

They didn't push for these awards, and didn't even know they were getting them....  when was Kerry awarded his?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Silly rabbit! Cyanide says it's all lies. Therefore none of this could even possibly be true. Now go sit in the corner!

www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/militaryrecords_1.pdf

paper
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I thought he threw them over the wall in DC? Oh, wait...those were ribbons...oh wait, he said they were they same thing...oh wait...I'm confused

I thought he said the medals... ribbons.... whatever, that he threw weren't his??
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/militaryrecords_1.pdf

paper

Cyanide is a KerryCo Shill. With regards to cyanide,  if arfcom was run like KerryCo we would just

but since we are not like KerryCo we will just have to put up with cyanide 's s**t
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I think you guys are falling for a made up contorversy.

By definition a Silver Star is awarded for awarded only under circumstances that would allow a "V" to be awarded with other medals. COMBAT.

How did it get on his DD-214? Pvt Smedley made a typo.

Why did it stay? Has anyone ever tried to get the governement to admit a mistake and correct it?

Next, who the hell retires after almost 40 years in as a Major?

I Stole a snippet for Silver Star award criteria from another site

3-9. Silver Star

a. The Silver Star, section 3746, title 10, United States Code (10 USC 3746), was established by Act of Congress 9 July 1918 (amended by act of 25 July 1963).

b. The Silver Star is awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, is cited for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. The required gallantry, while of a lesser degree than that required for the Distinguished Service Cross, must nevertheless have been performed with marked distinction.

c. It is awarded upon letter application to Commander, PERSCOM, ATTN: TAPC-PDA, Alexandria, VA 22332-0471, to those individuals who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, received a citation for gallantry in action in World War I published in orders issued by a headquarters commanded by a general officer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why fight about what his Silver Star means. Great he was awarded a Silver Star.

What does that have to do with being President? Last time I checked, the President is a civilian, and not supposed to be in combat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think you guys are falling for a made up contorversy.

By definition a Silver Star is awarded for awarded only under circumstances that would allow a "V" to be awarded with other medals. COMBAT.

How did it get on his DD-214? Pvt Smedley made a typo.

Why did it stay? Has anyone ever tried to get the governement to admit a mistake and correct it?

Next, who the hell retires after almost 40 years in as a Major?

I Stole a snippet for Silver Star award criteria from another site

3-9. Silver Star

a. The Silver Star, section 3746, title 10, United States Code (10 USC 3746), was established by Act of Congress 9 July 1918 (amended by act of 25 July 1963).

b. The Silver Star is awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, is cited for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. The required gallantry, while of a lesser degree than that required for the Distinguished Service Cross, must nevertheless have been performed with marked distinction.

c. It is awarded upon letter application to Commander, PERSCOM, ATTN: TAPC-PDA, Alexandria, VA 22332-0471, to those individuals who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, received a citation for gallantry in action in World War I published in orders issued by a headquarters commanded by a general officer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why fight about what his Silver Star means. Great he was awarded a Silver Star.

What does that have to do with being President? Last time I checked, the President is a civilian, and not supposed to be in combat.

+1

Always refreshing to hear a voice of reason and perspective.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't seem like a big deal for me... I looked at my DD214 after I got out and I it showed medals I had never worn being awarded and ribbons I had been awarded were nowhere to be found. Generally the awards section of your DD214 is hosed to one degree or another unless you spend a lot of time at PSD making sure it is correct.

There are plenty of less esoteric lies that Kerry can't explain that would produce better results. "Were you in Cambodia or not like you claimed here, here and here" is a pretty clear cut issue people can understand. Why do you have a "V" on your Silver Star when regulations X1094756.378`-. NAV specify otherwise is a tiresome debate that your average undecided voter won't even be able to finish reading.

Think short attention spans... you are now going after voters who are so horribly uninformed that they have not yet made a decision and probably pick up most of their political info secondhand if at all. The stories have to be short, interesting and easy to understand. This story is none of those and besides all that, it can easily be explained away by incompetence at PSD.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He only threw his medals over the fance before he decided to sit on top of it for the rest of his life.

Remember, he didn't throw HIS medals/ribbons over the fence,  some poor disillusioned other bastard sacrificed his medals for skerry's photo-op. So now, when he's come to his senses two decades later,  and his grandkids ask him "grandpa, did you get any medals?"

he has to say,

yeah but some dumb-ass threw them over the fence!

It ticks me off everyone is saying kerry threw his medals when he didn't even have the conviction to do that.  His whole life has been a carefully crafted, well thought out media op.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...Next, who the hell retires after almost 40 years in as a Major? ...

Guys who got battlefield commissions.  They typically topped out pretty fast.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Let’s hope it won’t take a controversial TV spot to spark a mainstream media investigation of how candidate Kerry received an unearned “V” for valor.

To add to OLY-M4gery's comments, this last line in the article completely discredits everything else the author wrote, because it shows that he doesn't really understand what he's talking about.  The "V" for valor is not used with the Silver Star because that medal can only be awarded for valor, so the V is redundant (the author even mentioned this earlier, but doesn't really seem to understand what he wrote).

The reason the "V" device exists is to differentiate between awards that are given during wartime both for general service (listed as SVC in the "Reason for Award" block on the Army's DA Form 638, Recommendation for Award) and for single, exceptional achievements (listed as ACH on the DA 638).

For example, the Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM) is often awarded when junior soldiers PCS (permanent change of station) from one assignment to another.  In this case, the award covers their service and accomplishments for the 3 or 4 years they were assigned to that unit.  The ARCOM can also be awarded for an act of valor, such as single-handedly destroying a machine gun position or the that type of thing.  In this case it would be awarded as an ARCOM with "V" device to indicate that it was given for a particular act of bravery.

The Bronze Star Medal (BSM) is the next level up from the ARCOM but is only awarded during wartime and/or in a combat zone.  A lot of people have the misconception that the Bronze Star is only given for valorous acts in combat, but it is actually the wartime equivalent of the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM).  The MSM is typically awarded to Captains / Sergeants First Class and above as a service award, and the BSM can be awarded for the same thing, but in a combat zone.  For example, a Master Sergeant, who serves for a year in Iraq in a Quartermaster battalion never leaves the perimeter of his base due to the nature of his job, may never actually see direct combat (i.e. a firefight) but can still be awarded the BSM for his service in that warzone.  If a BSM is given for a soldier's act of bravery in combat, it will be awarded as a BSM with "V" device. - essentially a different medal because it applies to an act of valor.

The Silver Star is different - it can ONLY be awarded for valor and is not (normally) given as a service award.  Therefore, any time you see someone wearing a Silver Star, it indicates that they service in combat and were recognized for a particular act of valor.  It would be redundant (and contrary to Army (DoD) regulations) to award the Silver Star with a "V" device - there is no such award.

As others have mentioned, this is probably just a typo that someone made on the DD 214, or it was written by someone that didn't understand the system.  This of course has nothing to do with whether or not someone deserves a particular award - that could probably debated for years, and has been in many cases.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's a good link to a description of each of the Army's awards - not sure if you can get to it for outside the .mil network, but hopefully it will work for all of you:

U.S. Army Awards

I apologize in advance if not everyone can access this link...

Dave
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#24]
My late father retired from the Army 1/31/67 with a medical disability after 22 years of service encompassing three wars.  Dad never, ever spoke about his war-time experiences.  He retired at the rank of First Sargeant.  At his retirement he was awarded the Army Commendation Medal.  I alway assumed it was just a sort of attaboy medal.  It appears it was for much more.  I guess I will never know.  All of his records burned in St. Louis a few years later.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I have 14 ribbons on my rack.  My DD214 lists ten of them (the ones with advancement points, perhaps?).  Like others have said, I'd be more worried about his future then his past.  

Combat Vs are what lead Admiral Borda to suicide.  One of the finest and most inspirational admirals who rose from the enlisted ranks, only to cut his life short over a tiny silver letter.  Very sad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top