Posted: 12/28/2003 7:18:52 PM EDT
Cast:
Jodie Foster
Matthew McConaughey
Angela Bassett
James Woods
John Hurt
Tom Skerritt

I think this movie came out in 1997 and is based on a novel by Carl Sagan.

It is about the search for other life in the universe. This movie has a good blend of science and spirituality. It shows how the two are really interlocked.

Angela Bassett really delivers the "jaw dropper" of the movie.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but that's why a women had to go..........

a man would have had a 5 o'clock shadow.

Want a real jaw dropper?  Read the book.

It's about PI.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
it just fell thru!
what about the chair?
how did it break off just falling thru?
the machine didn't seem to break in the move so why wasn't the "experiment" repeated.  this was a made for TV move that somehow made it to the big screen.    
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The book was great.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, something that sucked big time about this movie was that bill clinton was in it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]

The movie had a great opening scene and good "travel" sequences.

But I liked the story and especially the ending in the book better.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys just 'think' it was a two hour movie...
It was REALLY just 18 hours of static. [;D]

It's been done this way for "Billions and Billions" of years, and nobody knows WHO started it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Probably the worst sci-fi movie of all time.  When its time to see the aliens, all we get is a replay of her father.  Yea right!

Jodie Foster sucks as an actress.

Oh, and a women being the first person on the whole planet to see and meet an alien, oh yea, that's real realistic, how PC!

POS.

My .02.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Umm

Merlin..

Tom Skerit was SUPPOSED to be the first Human...

But he was BLOWN UP!!

Happy now?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Great movie.....Nobody knows what Heaven is.....personally I would liek to see my relatives while I was setting on a warm beach.....

I like The beach also..
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, but that's why a women had to go..........

a man would have had a 5 o'clock shadow.

Ha Ha! That's witty!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
it just fell thru!
what about the chair?
how did it break off just falling thru?
the machine didn't seem to break in the move so why wasn't the "experiment" repeated.  this was a made for TV move that somehow made it to the big screen.    
View Quote

It fell through in THIS demention. The chair was not in the plans of the machine. They weren't supposed to go back.

I did feel like this movie was made for T.V. but I really liked it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The movie was one huge build up, which ended in complete disappointment.  Face it, the ending ate sweaty monkey ass.  She sees HER FUCKING FATHER?!!?  Come on now!  After that whole movie, the best they can do is an image of her old fart dad, familiar earthly surroundings and a message that "this is only the first step??!"  

Total crap!

Here's my suggestion - 28 DAYS LATER.  It redefines the zombie movie genre.  Great SHTF movie as well.  It makes you think about life without guns!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The movie had a great opening scene and good "travel" sequences.

But I liked the story and especially the ending in the book better.

View Quote

I'm reading the book now and it is very good but it's hard for me to visualize the universe and cosmos so I think the movie was better in that regard.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
That was one of the biggest shit movies I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great movie.....Nobody knows what Heaven is.....personally I would liek to see my relatives while I was setting on a warm beach.....

I like The beach also..
View Quote

I agree. Noone knows what Heaven is really like.

If you'll notice the beach is the same one she drew as a child.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The movie was one huge build up, which ended in complete disappointment.  Face it, the ending ate sweaty monkey ass.  She sees HER FUCKING FATHER?!!?  Come on now!  After that whole movie, the best they can do is an image of her old fart dad, familiar earthly surroundings and a message that "this is only the first step??!"  

Total crap!

Here's my suggestion - 28 DAYS LATER.  It redefines the zombie movie genre.  Great SHTF movie as well.  It makes you think about life without guns!
View Quote
I don't want to hijack this but I just HAD to correct this one - there were PLENTY of guns in "28 Days Later" - it's just the lucky jackasses who survived chose not to pick them up and USE THEM!!!

Back to the topic at hand...
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
It doesn't matter how many guys died before the first person on Earth gets sent to see an alien, it just won't be a women.  And that's only one reason the movie sucked big time.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total crap!

View Quote
I don't want to hijack this but I just HAD to correct this one - there were PLENTY of guns in "28 Days Later" - it's just the lucky jackasses who survived chose not to pick them up and USE THEM!!!

View Quote

Did I miss something in the movie?  I didn't see anything around about guns and this was England in the movie, correct?  Aren't guns BANNED in England??  It would take knowledge of armories and hunting and shooting clubs to find any guns, but if they did know, yes, I guess you are technically correct.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total crap!

View Quote

View Quote

I think the coolest part of 28 Days Later was when they let the infected guy off his chain!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top