Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2010 9:29:32 AM EDT
He's not a republican be extremely pro gun, Byrd of course was not. Manchin is extremely popular in WV and is pretty much a shoe in.

Gov. Joe Manchin throws his hat into the U.S. Senate race.

Gov. Joe Manchin has announced that he will be a candidate for the U.S. Senate.

Manchin made the announcement during a news conference Tuesday at the state Capitol.

Manchin is the first candidate to officially throw his hat into the ring to succeed the late Sen. Robert C. Byrd, who died June 28.

Late Monday, the West Virginia Legislature approved a measure that would establish a special primary election for Aug. 28 and a special general election Nov. 2.

"I intend, with the opportunity, to work as tirelessly in Washington as I have in West Virginia," Manchin said. "... Now, I'll have the chance - maybe - to tell the whole world how great you are."

Manchin said this was one of the toughest decisions he has ever made, but that he always has had the desire to serve at the highest levels of government.

"I humbly ask for your support and your vote," he said.

After making the announcement, Manchin signed his candidacy papers.

Manchin said running a campaign in such a short amount of time would be "hard."

"There are so many qualified people who have a desire to serve," he said. "I always encourage people to get involved. ... You have to campaign hard."

Manchin said his first priority would continue to be carrying out the duties of governor. To do so and run for the Senate seat, Manchin said he would have to, "work a little harder and work a little longer."

Video at link.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If Capito runs I'm voting for her.  She's been instrumental in behind-the-scenes ATF butt kicking.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Short of being caught with little boys between now and November, this seat will belong to Manchin. Despite being a conservative state and going repub in the past two presidentials, WV is a solid dem state. Manchin's popularity, very high approval rating and dem affiliation make it a slam dunk. The O admin will have a hard time getting him to vote the party line though as he's more conservative than a lot of repubs and is not going to vote against the coal industry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If Capito runs I'm voting for her.  She's been instrumental in behind-the-scenes ATF butt kicking.

If I still lived in WV, I'd vote for Capito too. Won't make a difference in the election though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Short of being caught with little boys between now and November, this seat will belong to Manchin. Despite being a conservative state and going repub in the past two presidentials, WV is a solid dem state. Manchin's popularity, very high approval rating and dem affiliation make it a slam dunk. The O admin will have a hard time getting him to vote the party line though as he's more conservative than a lot of repubs and is not going to vote against the coal industry.

The last few words are what will win it for him.  Capito AFAIK supports us in the industry too, but Manchin has supported us in the limelight a lot more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same here but I hope she doesnt run. If she does she will lose, if she wants to be a senator I hope she waits to run against rockefeller.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Capito is awesome. I'd take her over Manchin but I highly doubt she could pull off the upset. And as mentioned above, we have Manchin to vote against any cap and trade legislation and will have a strong proponent of the right to keep and bear arms. It's a huge improvement over Byrd.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last few words are what will win it for him.  Capito AFAIK supports us in the industry too, but Manchin has supported us in the limelight a lot more.

Lets wait and see what he does when the cap and trade scheme comes up for a vote. Dont be suprised when he votes for it
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here but I hope she doesnt run. If she does she will lose, if she wants to be a senator I hope she waits to run against rockefeller.

See my post in the VA/WV HTF; per the legislation passed in the special session yesterday, she can run for both her House seat, and in the special election for the Senate seat.  So can anyone else nominated to run in the regular November election.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my post in the VA/WV HTF; per the legislation passed in the special session yesterday, she can run for both her House seat, and in the special election for the Senate seat.  So can anyone else nominated to run in the regular November election.

Interesting.

Like the sig BTW.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I still lived in WV, I'd vote for Capito too. Won't make a difference in the election though.

I'll vote for Capito, but like you said, it won't matter.  I think she'd defend my job just the same as Manchin would.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]
here's a nice photo of the guy ...

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/gov_manchin-300x297.jpg

more conservative than most rinos ...

Capito would be nice though ...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No.  He'll turn.  Just like that FUCKSTICK COCKBITER Jim Webb did in VA.  Motherfucker has gone full commie.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll vote for Capito, but like you said, it won't matter.  I think she'd defend my job just the same as Manchin would.

Don't count on it. The poisonous pill the Dems stuff down their throats when they move up to the federal level usually gets them all to tow the party line. He should stay as Governor.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets wait and see what he does when the cap and trade scheme comes up for a vote. Dont be suprised when he votes for it

Yup, there will be some sort of special incentive/exemption so it won't take effect in WV until 2018 or some shit like that.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#15]
If Manchin votes for cap and trade, he will be a one term senator, that easy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That's all it takes. Git 'er done, then move on to the private sector.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't trust any democrat not to fall into line with Pelosi/ Reid and company.  We have heard the "I'm not a party Drone" thing before in Georgia. yet they still bow to the money.
Given the coal industry and Obango's history why would you take that chance.?
I
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Nuts.  I wonder who the sacrificial lamb is going to be?  At least she'll still be in Congress.

WV GOP Rep. Capito won't seek Byrd's Sen. seat, WV

CHARLESTON (AP) - Rep. Shelley Moore Capito will not run in the special election for the U.S. Senate seat held by the late Robert C. Byrd.

The 2nd District Republican says she'll instead continue to seek a sixth term in the U.S. House.

Legislation signed Monday sets an Aug. 28 primary and Nov. 2 general election for the seat. A GOP amendment permits Capito to run for both the House and Senate on that general election ballot.

But among other factors, Capito said Wednesday her dual candidacy might trigger a court challenge.

State GOP Chairman Doug McKinney said he's not heard from any other Republicans seriously considering a run. Gov. Joe Manchin, a Democrat, announced his candidacy Tuesday.

Byrd, a Democrat, died June 28.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

IIRC byrd was for it, pretty sure rockefeller is as well. I know manchin is against it now, and he does seem to me anyway as a decent guy but there will be much arm twisting to vote for this, we will see.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nuts.  I wonder who the sacrificial lamb is going to be?  At least she'll still be in Congress.

WV GOP Rep. Capito won't seek Byrd's Sen. seat, WV

CHARLESTON (AP) - Rep. Shelley Moore Capito will not run in the special election for the U.S. Senate seat held by the late Robert C. Byrd.

The 2nd District Republican says she'll instead continue to seek a sixth term in the U.S. House.

Legislation signed Monday sets an Aug. 28 primary and Nov. 2 general election for the seat. A GOP amendment permits Capito to run for both the House and Senate on that general election ballot.

But among other factors, Capito said Wednesday her dual candidacy might trigger a court challenge.

State GOP Chairman Doug McKinney said he's not heard from any other Republicans seriously considering a run. Gov. Joe Manchin, a Democrat, announced his candidacy Tuesday.

Byrd, a Democrat, died June 28.

Its for the best. She would have lost and I would rather see her go after the other senate seat eventually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top