Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2002 7:27:13 AM EDT
There are many people who have had a difficult time finding employement lately...especially those in the IT industry.  Here are some sites that may help (some obvious, and some not):

[url]www.craigslist.com[/url] (Pick your area on the right hand side of the page.)

[url]www.nettemps.com[/url]

[url]www.flipdog.com[/url]

[url]www.monster.com[/url]

[url]www.headhunter.net[/url]

[url]www.hotjobs.com[/url]

[url]www.dice.com[/url] (Thanks, Satcong!)

[url]www.truecareers.com[/url]  (Thanks, EX_SP!)

[url]www.ajb.org[/url]  (Thanks, ilikelegs!)

[url]www.guru.com[/url]  (Thanks, thedave1164!)

Don't forget to check online with your local newspaper too.  As people add more sites, I will add them to this list.

Good Luck!

-Chimborazo
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#1]
www.dice.com

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind that Monster donates profits to anti-gun groups.

These links are for those who want to help themselves, take a hand up rather than a hand out.  Some would just rather not work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.truecareers.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Anyway, just out of curiousity, do people really land jobs through these sights. I'm not in IT, but it seems like I hear of people posting on these sites, but the end of getting a job through a headhunter or connections with a friend who got a job at the place they go to work for.
View Quote

Mainly headhunter and staffing frim looking to pimp people out.  

In the IT industry, full time recruiters command a lump sum fee equivalent to 1/3 of the candidate's yearly salary - paid by the hiring firm - once the candidate has completed his/her required 3 months probationary period.

Recruiter firms who place on contract basis can make anywhere from 100% to 300% off the hourly rate of the candidates they sent out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]www.guru.com[/url]

If you want to fly solo[:D]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyway, just out of curiousity, do people really land jobs through these sights. I'm not in IT, but it seems like I hear of people posting on these sites, but the end of getting a job through a headhunter or connections with a friend who got a job at the place they go to work for.
View Quote

Some are more productive than others.  For example, the larger ones such as monster.com and hotjobs.com have a lot of empty job opportunities.  The company I work for has some jobs posted on there, but we've been in a hiring freeze for a few months.

If anything else, it lets you know who and what is out there, and you can start pursuing opportunities directly.  BTW, I'm speaking on the IT side.  I can't say how effective these are for other job areas.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#9]
You may also try:

[url]www.careerbuilder.com[/url]

[url]www.brassring.com[/url]

For those in the DC metro area:

[url]www.washingtonjobs.com[/url]

If you have a current clearance:

[url]www.clearedconnections.com[/url]

There are postings there, but as others have said, the IT, and electrical engineering, industries are pretty tight right now.  At least in the DC metro area.  I know only one engineer that has been able to get a job in the last few months.  That came from a friend on the inside who knew of the opening and the hiring manager.  So far, nobody will look at me due to my low experience (just over 2 years) and lack of any security clearance.

I'm trying to stay in the area, and hoping something will come up before our inevitable layoffs near the end of the year.  May not matter, though, as several I've spoken to in other areas talk about how dry the market is.

One piece of advice that has given me a glimmer of hope is to do as broad of a search as possible on these job sites.  Don't look for specific positions, rather look for *companies* that are in the industry you like.  That's the best way I've found, so far, to get names of smaller/more obscure companies.  Sometimes they provide better opportunities.

Good luck to us all!

-Ed

Oh yeah:  If you are in a "professional" field, don't forget to check sites of professional organizations... [url]www.ieee.org[/url] [url]www.nspe.org[/url] etc...
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top