Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 6:18:57 PM EDT
One of co-workers today commented that Prince played the "geat-arh" better than Hendrix.

Votathon!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Ohh man this one is going to go to hell quick.  Prince has been on the scene for 20 years.  Jimmies whole career was 3 years and his music is timeless.  No comparison at all.  None, Nada. End of discussion.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
um no. Hendrix is one of the kings.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
And why didn't you kick him in the balls as soon as he said that?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That little shit "prince" wishes he was as good as Hendrix.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And why didn't you kick him in the balls as soon as he said that?

The fear of a pink slip kept me from doing so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Hendrix was King, but his career was way short. He surely would have produced a lot more great stuff, improving even more. But today, he would be a drooler like Bob Dylan, with two functioning brain cells.

Prince, and I try hard to not like him, has honed his skills to a very impressive level. He has eclipsed Jimi, but then he has had time on his side.

JMHO
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
HENDRIX

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Hendrix would kick Prince's bitch ass with the guitar. Probably plain ol' kick his ass for GP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Hendrix by far. Prince could take advantage of technological advances not available to Hendrix. Hendrix had a sound all to himself.  I know Hendrix when I hear him, couldn't say the same for Prince. Is prince even listed among the greats, SRV, Clapton, EVH, etc.?

My list is not intended to spark any debate about who really is on the list
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Prince sucked, sucks and will always suck.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
The real question is, which one had the coolest purple Kawasaki with a cheesy Vetter fairing and magic tires that could change from road tires to off-road tires instantly?

Bow to the purple one!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
IMHO, both are great, just different.  Different strokes for different folks...  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Prince can't even stand in the shadow of the great Jimi Hendrix
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Hendrix was great, but I bet Prince gets more womenz... isn't that what being a popular musician is all about???
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Prince is probably the most underrated artist of the last 20 years.
The dude is one freaky-weird genius.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Hendrix was a god. prince isn't even on the same continent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]
In respect to Prince, he never said he was better than Hendrix, some idiot did. Hendrix is one of the top 5 greatest players of all time, I would list who I think the other ones are, but I don't want to start a fight
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Hendrix: perhaps the most influential & innovative guitar genius of all time. As a singer & songwriter he was average at best. He is still a legendary figure and deservedly so, but his career was cut short before he could realize his full potential.

Prince: He is the complete package... Excellent & well-rounded musician... prolific songwriter in a number of musical styles... blow your doors off & leave you wanting more showman. He has the talent, he has the style, he has the attitude, and he has the body of work... Prince wins this contest by a comfortable margin!

I bet if Hendrix were still alive he & Prince would have collaborated on an album or two by now!  

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Hendrix was a man, served in the Airborne, Prince is a poof.  Hendrix did things with a guitar that even God didn't think of, Prince did things with a guitar that I don't even want to think of.  Hendrix rules, Prince drules.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#21]
a "god"??  no,  but he was f'n awesome!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Prince is a poof.

Hardly dude... Prince has seen more pussy than a Gynecologist with 40 years expirence!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Prince is a poof.

Hardly dude... Prince has seen more pussy than a Gynecologist with 40 years expirence!  

What, everytime he takes a shower?LOL.   Ok, so he may not bat for the other team but he looks like he'd fit in with the other team, no questions ask.  I still think Hendrix rules.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah... and Hendrix never wore flowing & frilly paisley shirts, makeup, & tight form fitting leather pants!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah... and Hendrix never wore flowing & frilly paisley shirts, makeup, & tight form fitting leather pants!

All of that didn't matter with Hendrix because HE could Play Guitar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#26]
HENDRIX WAS(IS) A COMET. prince is a dust particle, relatively speaking.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Your co-worker don't know shit about guitar playing, and his taste is in his ass.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Frank, Prince's guitar chops are right up there with the best of them, along with his ability to play the bass, the drums, the piano, the synthesizer, etc... Oh, and let's not forget his amazing talents at writing, arranging, and producing music.

Seriously, put aside your prejudices for a minute & open your ears... you just might like what you hear!

And yes... I'm also a huge Hendrix fan!  

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#29]
The only thing these two guys had in common was they they were both Black and played Guitar...They don't even play the same style of music....You should be comparing Jimi to Jeff Beck and Clapton.  Priince doesn't even deserve to be in the same sentence.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Rick James owned both their asses....... bitch
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Frank, Prince's guitar chops are right up there with the best of them, along with his ability to play the bass, the drums, the piano, the synthesizer, etc... Oh, and let's not forget his amazing talents at writing, arranging, and producing music.

Seriously, put aside your prejudices for a minute & open your ears... you just might like what you hear!

Look at Prince's body of pseudonym work - he's collaborated with HUGE names, and played on many songs you probably love and didn't even know he was playing guitar or keys on. And NY's right, he's very prolific and multitalented and his guitar chops are very formidable. No, he's not "like" hendrix, but in some ways he's surpassed him in talent. Plus, and I have to bring this up, he hasn't pissed away his talent with an addling addiction to drugs. Hendrix wasted his gift, whereas Prince continues to make music, even tho some of it I don't care for.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I just don't really like that whole "disco/pop" kind of music, that's why I'm not into Prince's music. Now Hendrix on the other hand, really rocked the house. Heck, he's just 3 years and 2 days older them me but I still don't get his music.
Of course no one's said anything about John Petrucci from Dream Theater, he could chew up either one, and remember I LIKE Hendrix, it's just that Petrucci is that much better. If you don't believe me pick up one of their CD's and listen to his chops, they're  killer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#33]
No doubt about it, Prince is a great artist.   Listen to the music...          
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#34]
BLASPHEMER! HENDRIX WAS GOD!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#35]

I just don't really like that whole "disco/pop" kind of music, that's why I'm not into Prince's music.

If that's the only type of music you think Prince writes & performs, then you labor under some seriously false assumptions my friend!

While Prince may occasionally record a "pop" tune, his musical range spans the gamut... Rock, Blues, Funk, Gospel, Dance, Soul, R&B, Psychedelicia, Rap, etc...

In fact, when I saw him at MSG this Summer, he preformed a 40 minute long acoustic set ... just him, his guitar & a packed house singing along with every word. It was quite an intimate experience for such a large venue, and it only enhanced my respect for the man's talent!

Frank, my advice to you would be to buy or download "Sign O' the Times" & "Emancipation" and give them their day in court... I bet you surprise yourself!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top