Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 8:50:45 PM EDT
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence: Specter Helps Kill Assault Weapons Ban, and Now the Criminals Are Using Them
Monday October 4, 11:41 am ET

NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP, Pa., Oct. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Senator Arlen Specter's decision to side with the gun lobby over the people of Pennsylvania has now had direct consequences: More crimes with military-style semiautomatic assault weapons.
ADVERTISEMENT

One of the nation's first assault weapons crimes since the sunset of the ban on these weapons apparently occurred here late last week, at a Mobil gas station on South Sycamore Street, just sixteen days after Senator Arlen Specter and Congressional leaders helped the gun lobby kill the ban. An employee at the gas station told police the gun the robber brandished was an Uzi with a large capacity ammunition magazine. "The employee said he knew the weapon from seeing it in magazines and elsewhere before," a police detective told the Bucks County Courier Times newspaper.

The employee handed over more than $200, and the robber fled.

Specter's refusal to support renewing the Assault Weapons Ban was a key factor in the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh Fraternal Order of Police chapters, the state's largest local law enforcement organizations, endorsing his opponent, Representative Joe Hoeffel.

"Arlen Specter claims to be surprised that police officers are declining to support him this year, but our decision should come as no surprise," Michael Havens, of the Pittsburgh FOP, was quoted as saying about law enforcement's rejection of Senator Specter. "Over the past several years, he's made unacceptable choices that have put conservative ideology before the needs of the law enforcement community."

"Senator Specter's campaign website says the Senator 'believes that the fundamental purpose of government is to protect its citizens,' but he has now helped give criminals access to greater firepower," said Jim Brady, the former Reagan press secretary shot by a would-be assassin.

"He let the people and the police down when he sided with the extreme gun lobby and against a common sense law," Brady said. "The people of Pennsylvania need to hold him accountable."

CONTACT: Peter Hamm of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, +1-202-898-0792.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
okay guys... let's give this a fellow a call: CONTACT: Peter Hamm of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, +1-202-898-0792.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'd be checking out that employee....sounds like bullshit to me
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Gee, I am sure that the robber legally purchased that uzi.  Why would he break the law?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think I'd be checking out that employee....sounds like bullshit to me

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking AIRSOFT.......
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm thinking AIRSOFT.......

Could very well be.

But it could be a real UZI.

Pre or post? That's the question.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I seed it on tha tee vee.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top