Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 1:33:59 PM EDT

By Fox news

Jewish Group Slams Ali G.
Monday, August 23, 2004

HBO's hottest comic, Sacha Baron Cohen — best known as the goofy rapper Ali G. (search) — is in hot water for a gag-song he sang on TV that groups are calling anti-Semitic.

The British version of the FCC and the U.K.'s Jewish Board of Deputies are investigating Cohen for a phony Country-Western song called "Throw the Jew Down the Well" that he performed at a rural bar in Arizona for his show.

In the U.S., the sketch has also drawn fire from the Anti-Defamation League (search).

Cohen, who is Jewish, sang the song under the guise of Borat, a phony TV host from Kazakhstan, and soon the patrons at the bar were singing with him.

In the U.S., it aired on a recent episode of "Da Ali G Show," (search) a series in which Cohen hoodwinks unwitting guests into sometimes startling admissions with his in-depth portrayals of three different characters.

In this case, the Borat performance revealed a bar full of bigots on a hidden camera.

"While we understand this scene was an attempt to show how easily a group of ordinary people can be encouraged to join in an anti-Semitic chorus, we are concerned that the irony may have been lost on some of the audience, or worst still that they simply accepted Borat's statements about Jews at face value," The Anti-Defamation League's Abe Foxman told a reporter.

"It is a very thin line between what's offensive and what's supposed to be funny and that line was crossed," Foxman said.

Much Respect
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the bit you might find more interesting, when this was reported in the papers in the UK, a bunch of muslim internet sites took it very seriously and were quoted as being all for it, and entirely in support of the song's message. Perhaps they didn't realise Ali G's real name is Cohen?

Ali G manages to make his tartgets look like the dumb-asses  they are once again, and I applaud him :) Allthough normally he is something of a one-trick pony, and stops being funny after one series.

/PHil
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Jew crybabies.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Hahha I love Ali G. What is it that he says?  Bushakya???
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
BOOYAKASHA!

You most grab him by the horns.
So my country can be free.
Throw the jew down the well.
AND WE'LL HAVE A BIG PARTY....

ITS DA ALI G SHOW!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#9]
did anybody watch that one week when it was insisting that cowboy was gay,  I thought it was funny that some people are so defensive if you call them gay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
did anybody watch that one week when it was insisting that cowboy was gay,  I thought it was funny that some people are so defensive if you call them gay.

Heh, methinks the lady doth protest too much.

His best work would have to be the interview with Sir Rhodes Boyson, am arch conservative politician and ex head teacher, who still has big bushy 19th century sideburns and a northen (British) accent.

This might not translate to the far side of the pond, but...

Ali G: So what do you think of corproal punishment in schools?
Sir Rhodes: Well, I'm all for it, I was caned at school and I'm better for it.
Ali G: You was _Caned_[1] at school?
Sir Rhodes: yes, many times...
Ali G: Thats _well_ wicked man, Booyakasha!

[1] For those of you unaware of the coloquialisms of the homeland, to be caned is to be out of one's tiny mind on some form of narcotic.

Hmmm, perhaps that does work better if you know the slang and the people involved.

Damn

/PHil
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't they have something more important to do
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Redcap shouldn't you be posting your intelligent remarks this on the Aryan Brotherhood or KKK web sites, which you probably have bookmarked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Jesus christ these people need a hobby.

We finally have a jewish comedian who's bit isn't the "I'm a neurotic jew", and they want to take him down?

BOOYAKASHA, AIGHT!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Why dey gotta play like dat man?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Lyrics - In my country there is problem

Verse
In my country there is problem,
And that problem is transport.
It take very very long,
Because Kazakhstan is big.

Chorus 1
Throw transport down the well (repeat line)
So my country can be free (repeat line)
We must make travel easy (repeat line)
Then we’ll have a big party (repeat line)

Verse 2
In my country there is problem
And that problem is the Jew
They take everybody money
And they never give it back

Chorus 2
Throw the jew down the well (repeat line)
So my country can be free (repeat line)
You must grab him by his horns (repeat line)
Then we have a big party (repeat line)

Verse 3
If you see the Jew coming
You must be carefull of his teeth
You must grab him by his money
And I tell you what to do
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Made me laugh when it was on tv,that guy has his moments.Did you see the bit where he got these jocks to shout welcome to spring break a million times with them jumping around to the camera and then  told them they were on gay tv,hahah the guys went nuts
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Made me laugh when it was on tv,that guy has his moments.Did you see the bit where he got these jocks to shout welcome to spring break a million times with them jumping around to the camera and then  told them they were on gay tv,hahah the guys went nuts

They really looked gay on their own.  Especially the little guy with the olympic style wrestling suit on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]
so, let me get this straight...

black poeple can call each other the "n" word, but Jews can't make fun of themselves?

wtf?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#19]
ya I was going to make that point but I didn't want to get slammed.  Its time for the black people to start suing the rap artists for money for giving them a bad name
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They really looked gay on their own.  Especially the little guy with the olympic style wrestling suit on.

Fair point
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top