Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 4:42:13 PM EDT
Interesting theory.

news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060404/sc_space/jesuscouldhavewalkedonicescientistsays

Rare conditions could have conspired to create hard-to-see ice on the Sea of Galilee that a person could have walked on back when Jesus is said to have walked on water, a scientist said today.

The study, which examines a combination of favorable water and environmental conditions, proposes that Jesus could have walked on an isolated patch of floating ice on what is now known as Lake Kinneret in northern Israel.

Looking at temperature records of the Mediterranean Sea surface and using analytical ice and statistical models, scientists considered a small section of the cold freshwater surface of the lake. The area studied, about 10,000 square feet, was near salty springs that empty into it.

The results suggest temperatures dropped to 25 degrees Fahrenheit (-4 degrees Celsius) during one of the two cold periods 2,500 –1,500 years ago for up to two days, the same decades during which Jesus lived.

With such conditions, a floating patch of ice could develop above the plumes resulting from the salty springs along the lake's western shore in Tabgha. Tabgha is the town where many archeological findings related to Jesus have been found.

"We simply explain that unique freezing processes probably happened in that region only a handful of times during the last 12,000 years," said Doron Nof, a Florida State University Professor of Oceanography. "We leave to others the question of whether or not our research explains the biblical account."

Nof figures that in the last 120 centuries, the odds of such conditions on the low latitude Lake Kinneret are most likely 1-in-1,000. But during the time period when Jesus lived, such “spring ice” may have formed once every 30 to 60 years.

Such floating ice in the unfrozen waters of the lake would be hard to spot, especially if rain had smoothed its surface.

"In today's climate, the chance of springs ice forming in northern Israel is effectively zero, or about once in more than 10,000 years," Nof said.

The findings are detailed in the April 2006 Journal of Paleolimnology.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]

And Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt on the Sea of Reeds.
Yea...sure.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, dumbest read ever.

Had to be huge pice of ice.

Had to be perfectly clear and deep so that no one else noticed it.

Had to be completely stable so that the storm did not allow it to move.

Had to be a once in a lifetime event, so that no one would find it unbelieveable back then and just say, "he only walked on ice".  We all know that back then, Jesus was less popular than George Bush.

This scientist spent a long time trying to convice himself.  What an idoit.  They must give degrees to anyone now days.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hr

+1

+1.  

Wow, I would just like to make the statement: don't think all of us atheists believe this crap.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget, Peter got out of the boat and walked on water as well. Read Matthew 14:22-33. Did he find his own little patch of ice? And what about Jesus healing the blind, the deaf, the crippled & those who had leprosy. He changed water into wine and raised a man that had been dead four days and was already decaying. Jesus multiplied five loaves of bread & two fish; then fed FIVE THOUSAND men. Not including the women & children. After that, they took up twelve baskets full of what was left over. The Bible says that when they came to arrest Jesus he asked them who they were looking for and when they told him he said, I am he. And when he had said, I am he, the mob who came to arrest him drew back & fell to the ground. What caused this? (John 18:3-6) What about the 500 people that wittnessed Jesus ascend into heaven right before their eyes? Not to mention that this was 40 days after he was crucified and rose from the dead. Can anyone explain this? What man in all of history did this many miracles and claimed to be the Son of GOD? The answer: no one. So, either this is the most elaborate and longest lasting hoax in the history of the world or Jesus really is the Son of God.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
... Oh man, this post will go over like the proverbial " ****-in-the-punchbowl " here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't even see how yahoo saw this as "news".  Who is this "finding" trying to influence?  For those who are Christian, clearly its a pointless "study" since they "know" it happened how the book says.   For those who are not, it is just as pointless because they "know" the event never happened to begin with.  There is no need to explain how a fictional event could have happened.

And thats my fair and ballanced report, I won't say which side I'm on
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok, dumbest read ever.

Had to be huge pice of ice.

Had to be perfectly clear and deep so that no one else noticed it.

Had to be completely stable so that the storm did not allow it to move.

Had to be a once in a lifetime event, so that no one would find it unbelieveable back then and just say, "he only walked on ice".  We all know that back then, Jesus was less popular than George Bush.

This scientist spent a long time trying to convice himself.  What an idoit.  They must give degrees to anyone now days.

Dang, you folks are quick to get testy.  It's the press you should be upset with. The scientists merely identified a strange phenomenon.

Perhaps you missed this:

"We simply explain that unique freezing processes probably happened in that region only a handful of times during the last 12,000 years," said Doron Nof, a Florida State University Professor of Oceanography. "We leave to others the question of whether or not our research explains the biblical account."

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't even see how yahoo saw this as "news".  Who is this "finding" trying to influence?  For those who are Christian, clearly its a pointless "study" since they "know" it happened how the book says.   For those who are not, it is just as pointless because they "know" the event never happened to begin with.  There is no need to explain how a fictional event could have happened.

And thats my fair and ballanced report, I won't say which side I'm on

Exactly - to sit there an start screaming "atheist" and act is if someone is trying to disprove the gospel is silly.  It is far easier to deny the reports at all, having been written so many years later in most cases.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]
When it comes to science vs. religon  usually take sciences side, but thats just stupid. Jesus wore sandals and there is now way you can walk on ice with sandals and not get cold or fall. On a serious note I do not like it when Science attacks religous claims. Some things just should just be left the way they are.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#13]
It would actually be less of a miraculous event for Jesus to actually walk on water than for all of the conditions necessary for forming a stable piece of ice for him to walk on to occur.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top