Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/18/2004 7:28:40 PM EST
Monday, October 18, 2004 · Last updated 9:13 p.m. PT

Rice traded to Seahawks

By JANIE MCCAULEY
AP SPORTS WRITER

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Jerry Rice got his wish Monday night when the Oakland Raiders traded the NFL's most prolific receiver to the Seattle Seahawks.

The trade will be finalized after Rice undergoes a physical and the league gives its approval. The Raiders did not say what they received in return for Rice, but two Internet sites reported it was for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.

Rice asked for a trade last week as his role on the Raiders diminished. Earlier Monday, Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said the team was looking into a possible deal.

"I would think it would give any team a boost, but really it's up to the Raiders," Holmgren said. "It's really their call."

Phone calls placed Monday night to Seahawks' spokesmen were not immediately returned.

Holmgren was Rice's offensive coordinator from 1989-1991 with the San Francisco 49ers, and Holmgren was the Niners' quarterbacks coach starting in Rice's second season with the team in 1986.

Seattle was a logical destination for Rice because he knows Holmgren's offense and the Seahawks might need a depth receiver.

The 42-year-old Rice wanted to play for a team that will give him a greater role. He has gone without a catch three times this season, including in Sunday's 31-3 loss to Denver, but still believes he can be productive.

"They know each other, and Mike was interested in Jerry before he signed with the Raiders," Rice's agent, Jim Steiner, said Monday afternoon. "He will know the offense if that's where he ends up, and he'll fit right in."

Rice is the NFL's career leader in catches and touchdowns and the only receiver ever to play after age 40. He has only five receptions for 67 yards and no touchdowns this year. Last season, he led the Raiders in catches (63) and yards receiving (869).

He claimed the Raiders never told him to expect a diminished role, and he would embrace the chance to play elsewhere because he "can't go out this way." He said earlier this year that this would be his last season, but backtracked later.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:33:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 7:37:36 PM EST by VoodooChile]

Originally Posted By KA3B:

He claimed the Raiders never told him to expect a diminished role, and he would embrace the chance to play elsewhere because he "can't go out this way." He said earlier this year that this would be his last season, but backtracked later.

Can't go out this way? Then you are in deep trouble because you cannot turn back father time and you missed your opportunity to go out "on top"
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:40:23 PM EST
Who gives a fuck? Overpaid sports star.
fuck 'em
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:44:53 PM EST
Let's see if they throw to him.

At least he'll draw some secondary attention.

Guys need to realize it's a young man's game......
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:54:42 PM EST
The way Seahawks receivers have been dropping the ball; he will be a great addition.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:13:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:
The way Seahawks receivers have been dropping the ball; he will be a great addition.

No shit
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:07:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By VoodooChile:

Originally Posted By KA3B:

Can't go out this way? Then you are in deep trouble because you cannot turn back father time and you missed your opportunity to go out "on top"

Fuck these over-the-hill athletes who think they're entitled to go out on top. If he wanted to leave a winner, he should have retired 6 years ago instead of trying to cash in. Ego-maniacs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:22:54 AM EST
Look at it this way, maybe the old man can TEACH the butter hands HOW to hold on when the pass is placed right in their mits.
I am sick of watching the bobble headed bobble hands of Seattle Seachicken receivers in important games. Rice on a monday nights game is a good thing for Seattle.

Railgun....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:51:50 AM EST
Yea the gus a real Ego manic........ come on! This guy is one of the most professional players in the NFL. The guy is 42 and I would like to see how many guys that are trashing him could hang with a simple work out with, most of the young guys that train with him in the offseason can hardly keep up with him.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:43:21 AM EST
Hate to see Jerry go...a class act, and THE best receiver the game has ever seen. Some of his records will never be broken.

I don't know what's going on with the Raiders...when Gannon went, down, I actually expected Collins to bring back some of the old school Raiders' vertical game...but he seems to be sucking almost as bad as Brunell here in Washington.

Obviously Norv didn't want the old guys anymore...first Tim Brown, now Rice. These guys can still play, as long as you're not looking for the deep routes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:45:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By coltcarbine:
Who gives a fuck? Overpaid sports star.
fuck 'em

EXACTLY, I dont watch BasketBall anyway
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:47:46 AM EST
I hate to see this happen. Rice could still go toe to toe with anyone out there.

My Raiders have a bad history of doing this to good players.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:50:59 AM EST
He can still catch......he would make a PERFECT possession receiver on ANY team......10yd route bam.....1st down.

No need to run, no need to make moves......
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:58:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By wedge1082:
I hate to see this happen. Rice could still go toe to toe with anyone out there.

Your right...Marcus Allen comes to mind.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:00:20 AM EST
"NFL's most prolific receiver". He's a racist. He hates where he came from too
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:00:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

I could not even guess what his numbers could have been, had he been allowed to play.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:11:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 7:15:02 AM EST by Fenian]

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Marcus Allen was a personal problem with Al Davis...with Rice, you could make a decent argument that he just doesn't have the speed to go deep...if you're looking for some speed to compliment Porter's, you could give up Rice...only problem is, what did they get in return?

Most people who play for the Raiders will cite Al Davis's loyalty to them...but every once and a while, he DOES seem to take a dislike to someone, and it sucks to be that person. The Marcus Allen deal was over money, I believe...I seem to remember Marcus wanted to renegotiate his contract...Al didn't want to hear it. It's been a while, but that's what I remember. AND, that was right about the time Bo Jackson came along.

Anyway, a bunch of the old timers like Otto, Freddy B, and Willie Brown are still around, as coaches or other spots within the organization.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:19:19 AM EST

Dang - that's teh second thing I've agreed with Va Dingbat on TODAY.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:43:19 AM EST

ditto for the skins...guys here can't catch a COLD lol.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:44:28 AM EST
I saw an interview with him on ESPN right at the end of his SF carreer. He said every catch he hears footsteps and wonders if ti will be his game ending and actual serious physically damaging hit.

He should have quit then.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:00:33 PM EST
I think it's a little too late for both the Seachickens and Jerry Rice.
At least he is not going out injured like Ronny Lot or Roger Craig.

Steve Largent is going to "unretire" number 80 for Rice this weekend.

Rice will wear No. 80, which was worn by former Seahawks wide receiver Steve Largent from 1976-89. Largent, who went on to become a four-term U.S. Congressman from Oklahoma, was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1995.

The number, which was never retired, hasn't been worn by a Seahawks player since Largent left.

Rice asked Largent for permission to wear No. 80, which Rice has worn throughout his NFL career, and received his blessing.

"When he said that, it sent chills through my body," Rice said. "It meant the world to me. I know what he did for this team. When you think about the Seattle Seahawks, you think about Steve Largent."

Top Top