Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/25/2006 4:03:27 PM EDT
Can you make jerky using a propane grill? Will indirect heat at its lowest setting work? Maybe placing hickory chips over the burner?

If yes, then what are your jerky recipes?

If no, then it doesn't matter 'cause I'm not going to go out and buy a smoker.

Thanks in advance.

RJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:04:36 PM EDT
Paging Mona.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
NO! The meat must be dried at a very low temp. You can use your oven at 'bout 120 degrees.
And you should use "cure", sodium nitrate, to prevent botoulism (sp),; do some google on "meat curing." what you are doing is removing moisture from the meat; and it takes time to do so w\o cooking the meat, and making yourself sick.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:23:16 PM EDT
Saw a cool method on tv, that I would like to try sometime

They took about five pleated home air filters, a square portable fan and some duct tape

put the meat in the pleats, stack the filters, tape to the fan, turn on and leave for a day or two
(they said to aim it out of an open window)
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:24:17 PM EDT
I use a food dehydrator (have a big bag of jerky right now)
Family, friends love the stuff. The demand is always high.

It actually works pretty well. The recipe may sound strange, but it works.

Soy sauce, liquid smoke, brown sugar. Occasionally use crushed red pepper & Jalapeno pepper juice for hot jerky.

The grill is for grilling. Probably use a shitload of propane for one batch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:06:29 PM EDT
Damn.

I've got some deer meat, but no dehydrator.

I was hoping to take the cheap route to jerky.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:12:13 PM EDT
what kind of meat for reular jerky? Actually I mean what cut of beef?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:19:51 PM EDT
you can make it in your oven .

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:24:52 PM EDT
I've heard the following:
Marinate your meat AFTER you slice it! 24 hours or more. Cold part of the refrigerator
Use your oven. Low temperature, about 110 or so. Put some aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven to catch the drippings. Slice the meat to the desired thickness (try thin first, it dries faster of course). Freezing the meat slightly helps make the slicing easier. Make the pieces uniform in length. Put a toothpick through one end of a piece and hang in on the rack. Line'em up and dry'em. You might/will have to open the oven slightly and leave it open. The kitchen/house will smell wonderful though. Use a thermometer if you have to. Drying time depends on thickness, length and temperature. Monitor your first batch and see how it suits you. Adjust accordingly. Do your first batch on a day you do not have to work so you can watch it. Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:26:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By smlockeiii:
I've heard the following:
Marinate your meat AFTER you slice it! 24 hours or more. Cold part of the refrigerator
Use your oven. Low temperature, about 110 or so. Put some aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven to catch the drippings. Slice the meat to the desired thickness (try thin first, it dries faster of course). Freezing the meat slightly helps make the slicing easier. Make the pieces uniform in length. Put a toothpick through one end of a piece and hang in on the rack. Line'em up and dry'em. You might/will have to open the oven slightly and leave it open. The kitchen/house will smell wonderful though. Use a thermometer if you have to. Drying time depends on thickness, length and temperature. Monitor your first batch and see how it suits you. Adjust accordingly. Do your first batch on a day you do not have to work so you can watch it. Just a suggestion.

This method works well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:34:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 22bad:

They took about five pleated home air filters, a square portable fan and some duct tape

put the meat in the pleats, stack the filters, tape to the fan, turn on and leave for a day or two

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:39:29 PM EDT

I saw th esame show.It works and works well! Better than any jerkey maker and about ten times cheaper!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
I’ve made oven rack Jerky numerous times. If you do it right it rivals any Jerky made in a smoker or dehydrator. WalMart has a good book in the Sporting Good Dept that covers basic sausage making and Jerky making.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:52:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jm03:

I saw th esame show.It works and works well! Better than any jerkey maker and about ten times cheaper!

That was the show "Good Eats" www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_31151,00.html
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:54:48 PM EDT
I use a dehydrator and jerky gun

snoop around on Nesco's site www.nesco.com/products/?category=300&subcat=100#100
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:08:15 PM EDT
TAG! I have been thinking about this for a while too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:59:05 PM EDT
When propane (or any hydrocarbon, for that matter) burns, it produces water vapour, which isn't going to help you dry out the meat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:06:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:

Originally Posted By Jm03:

That was the show "Good Eats" www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_31151,00.html

That "Good Eats" guy is great! He explains the physics of culinary preparation
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:10:51 PM EDT

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/200601/Jerky1.jpg

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/200601/Jerky5.jpg

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/200601/Jerky6.jpg

snoop around on Nesco's site www.nesco.com/products/?category=300&subcat=100#100

+1 a dehydrator is fairly cheap. I don't know jack about the jerky gun though. What are you doing there? Ground meat?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:17:01 PM EDT
I've done it in the oven and it worked great. Instead of toothpicks I used shish kebab skewers and put about ten slices on a skewer and then lowered the meat through the rack. Later I got a dehydrator and have used that.

I slice the meat nice and thin and make sure to remove as much of the fat as possible. Then I marinate with Worchestershire, dried onions, pureed garlic, and Dave's Insanity sauce, I like it spicy. I slice up the meat and then put it in a ziploc freezer bag and pour the marinade in with the meat and squish it around in the bag. I try to use way more marinade than I think is necessary and work it in real good, that way I make sure to hit every last bit of meat. Then I leave it in the bag in the fridge for a couple days to do its magic.

Then that dehydrator gets a workout for a day or two.

I gotta get going on another batch.

What cuts of meat do you guys use? I've been using brisket lately 'cause it's easy to trim the fat, but tomorrow I'm doing flank steak. Mmmmmm.

My girl is getting the Kitchenaid mixer pretty soon and apparently that thing has a meat grinder attachment so I might be doing the jerky gun thing but in a different way. That might be good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:23:25 PM EDT
I realize time in the oven varies on cut but approx how long are we talking? A couple hours or an all day event?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:26:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By StarAtari:
I realize time in the oven varies on cut but approx how long are we talking? A couple hours or an all day event?

I'd rather it be an all day thing than not. You want to dry it out, not roast it.

All night would actually be cheaper, electricity is cheaper at night.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:37:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 9:38:12 PM EDT by Big_B]
www.himtnjerky.com/ Recipes, cure, seasonings etc.

These guys have everything you need to make the best jerky you have ever had.

I use a smoker to make mine, but you can use the oven.

If you don't keep the temp up to 140 degrees minimum, you are running a risk of getting some major bacterial problems, especially if you don't use a "cure" containing sodium nitrite.

Hi Mountain makes all kinds of stuff and they are good to deal with.

There are lots of recipes on www.cookshack.com if you search for them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:37:46 PM EDT
Tagged to read recipies later....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:42:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Peak_Oil:
I've done it in the oven and it worked great. Instead of toothpicks I used shish kebab skewers and put about ten slices on a skewer and then lowered the meat through the rack. Later I got a dehydrator and have used that.

Best batch of jerky I have ever made was doing it this way. Put oven on lowest setting, then leave the door cracked open. Took me about 6-7 hours IIRC
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:57:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AZMAN-1:
Tagged to read recipies later....

Same here: tagged
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:24:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:53:57 PM EDT
Tagged
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:58:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/200601/Jerky1.jpg

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/200601/Jerky5.jpg

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/200601/Jerky6.jpg

+1 a dehydrator is fairly cheap. I don't know jack about the jerky gun though. What are you doing there? Ground meat?

The quick and easy way to make beef jerky is with 93% or leaner ground beef and you mix it with Nesco's jerky spices and then shoot it out of the gun into flat strips or slim jim like round strips. Yeah it's hamburger but meat is meat and the jerky is great.

Now just because you have a dehydrator and jerky gun doesn't mean you can't marinate other cuts of meat like london broil and dehydrate them too. I've done that in the past. The secret is to make the london broil cuts thin and uniform. The dehydrator not only dehydrates the meat but it keeps it at a temp of 150F+. The jerky with the jerky gun is still great.

Nesco offers original, hot and spicy, cajun, pepperoni, teryaki, and fajita spices. You can make your own, but when using the lean ground beef dont use liquids, you can use pepper, chli powder, grill seasonings, salt, and be sure to add some brown sugar to the mix and it'll come out good
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:30:00 AM EDT
The BEST beef jerky I ever had was made by my Grandfather. He sun-dried it using a cage he made from wood with window screen stretched over it, and the meat was hung on 1/4" dowels.

I wish I had his recipe. He took it with him when he passed away.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:41:58 AM EDT
use your tanning bed and make sure the meat gets to 160 deg.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:57:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 6:02:42 AM EDT by QUIB]
I got my start in jerky about 5 years ago using the HiMountain Jerky Kits. After I saw how easy it was I started collecting books on jerky and sausage making and doing it myself. As a cure I use Morton Tender Quick which can be found at most grocery stores in the salt and spice isle. Morton also sells a nice DIY guide to using Tender Quick and gives recipes for jerky, ham, bacon, sausage. Check the Morton web site.

I’ve posted a recipe from the Morton book. I use my modified version of this recipe by adding water to the mix and making a brine. You can also add liquid smoke, Worchester or Soy sauce or even a dash or two of Tabasco. The brine and meat go into the fridge for a day or two to cure. For this I use a large plastic container with a lid, that I purchased at WalMart. I do 5-6 lbs of meat at a time so it’s a fairly large container. Once the meat has cured, rise it with cool water, pat dry with paper towels. Lay out the meat strips and cover with cracked black pepper. Place in the oven as directed below. With four of us in the house, 5-6 lbs of jerky goes in about a week. The trick to drying jerky is to remove the jerky from the oven when you can bend it but it doesn’t snap in two. Remember jerky is cured to preserve it, not cooked. The oven is only used for drying. But I keep the finished product in the fridge anyway.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:17:29 AM EDT
tag

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:18:35 AM EDT
Tag. Hopefully there will be lots of recipes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:24:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 6:25:27 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
I don't believe there is a target temp. The marinade and dryness are what kill the bacteria, not the cooking. Some people say that cooking the meat is a bad thing. I've had it both ways, and I like both, but they do make a somewhat different product. When I make jerky in my dehydrator, it's cooked by the heat coil. If you have enough airflow, though, you don't need the heat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:27:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Tag. Hopefully there will be lots of recipes.

The thing I’ve learned about jerky while exploring for new recipes is they are basically the same. You have the basic brine mixture with your cure and water, the rest of the ingredients are up to you! Let your imagination go! Some of my ingredients have been:

Black pepper
White pepper
Garlic powder
Fresh chopped garlic
Onion powder
Soy sauce
Worchester sauce
Brown sugar
Liquid smoke
Tabasco
Cayenne pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes

I keep a log of recipes used and when I find a combination of ingredients I stick with and try to perfect that recipe.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:30:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By recoiljunky:
Damn.

buy a small smoker for 50-60 bucks

or make one from a 50 gallon drum, beer keg, etc. you can do it cheaply and correctly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:36:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rob78:

Damn.

buy a small smoker for 50-60 bucks

or make one from a 50 gallon drum, beer keg, etc. you can do it cheaply and correctly.

Can’t get any cheaper than using your oven! I have a smoker too, but sometimes still revert back to using the oven method.

You don’t need to dive head first into a smoker, meat slicer or dehydrator. A good sharp knife, the oven , spices and cure is all you need to get started.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:37:44 AM EDT

Damn.

Use your oven. Bass Pro Shop has a pan and jerky trays that you can stack on each other. Slice the deer thin, use the soy, brown sugar, liquid smoke method, and then back for 4 to 6 hours on the lowest setting. It works great.
Top Top