Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:23:07 PM EDT
  How do you all feel about them? Is it a good survival vehicle? I have one, a '93 wranlger. Should I sell it for a tuck? It holds all my shit fine. What are the benefits of a truck?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you doing with the Jeep...?

Flexin curbs at the mall, or spinning tires in "the box" on the Rubicon trail?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
  How do you all feel about them? Is it a good survival vehicle? I have one, a '93 wranlger. Should I sell it for a tuck? It holds all my shit fine. What are the benefits of a truck?

They're alright.......

It depends, if you mainly use it to go offroad, the Jeep is fine. For hauling stuff around town, I'd go with a truck, totally up to you man.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I love mine, well mabye lust after it.....

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a Cherokee, and have no input as of yet.........I do like it better than my minivan though!!.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
  How do you all feel about them?

I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about em.

Is it a good survival vehicle?

Better than some, worse than others.

I have one, a '93 wranlger. Should I sell it for a tuck?

I dont know.  Do you want a tuck?

It holds all my shit fine. What are the benefits of a truck?

Well, they hold more shit.  But it can get wet.  So I guess those cancel each other out.  You shouldn't get a tuck.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How do you feel about it? It's your Jeep. Do you think you need a truck? WTF? Do you want everyone else to make your decisions for you? Ok, let me start.

You need to sell your Jeep 'cause obviously you don't have the self-esteem to drive it. Hell, you probably don't even wave at others anyway!(Some will know what I'm talking about) You need to buy that little, nasty, ugly Honda Element! The box on wheels, with gray plastic corner panels. Yep, that'd be a good vehicle for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I love mine, well maybe lust after it.....
img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/jeep2-for-web.jpg

I know the feeling.

I know I can get anywhere I need to go in my jeep. Can't say that about a truck. Trucks are great for hauling stuff around on roads though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got the best of both worlds...a 85' Scrambler

I hear through the grapevine that JEEP is going to start building Scramblers again

I've got 4 JEEPS in all 53' M38A1,  69' CJ5,  76' CJ7,  and my baby the '85 CJ8 Scrambler.  I love them all.  But I also have a Dodge 1500 4X4(for my road work )

Jeeps are great fun for a second vehicle if you can afford 'em.  Although I spend most my time in a JEEP
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
They have not made a REAL Jeep since Willys quit making them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you feel about it? It's your Jeep. Do you think you need a truck? WTF? Do you want everyone else to make your decisions for you? Ok, let me start.

You need to sell your Jeep 'cause obviously you don't have the self-esteem to drive it. Hell, you probably don't even wave at others anyway!(Some will know what I'm talking about) You need to buy that little, nasty, ugly Honda Element! The box on wheels, with gray plastic corner panels. Yep, that'd be a good vehicle for you.hr

I wave at people.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to sell your Jeep 'cause obviously you don't have the self-esteem to drive it. Hell, you probably don't even wave at others anyway!(Some will know what I'm talking about) You need to buy that little, nasty, ugly Honda Element! The box on wheels, with gray plastic corner panels. Yep, that'd be a good vehicle for you.

I wave at people.

Just random people? Or do you know what I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#12]
 USMC88-93,  FALARAK,  jpman7,  Short-n-sweet,  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to sell your Jeep 'cause obviously you don't have the self-esteem to drive it. Hell, you probably don't even wave at others anyway!(Some will know what I'm talking about) You need to buy that little, nasty, ugly Honda Element! The box on wheels, with gray plastic corner panels. Yep, that'd be a good vehicle for you.hr

I wave at people.hr
Just random people? Or do you know what I'm talking about?hr

I know what youre talking about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
sell it and buy a truck.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Had a 1999 Wrangler Sport. Loved it, it was a lot of fun. I'm glad I sold it though. I now have a Chevy Silverado.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I loves me '78 Toyota Land Cruiser, older than I am, still goin' strong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]
90 XJ 2 door daily driver......NOW IN DIGITAL CAMO!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I owned an 80 CJ-7 that I restored from the frame up (fiberglass body, full cage, suspension lift, axels, gearing, lockers, wheels, tires, etc.).  I absolutely loved and adored my jeep - used to spend 3-4 weeks a year rockcrawling in Moab, UT.

The only thing I ever really hated was the fact that I couldn't lock it and/or protect valuables.  And before anyone mentions the lockable storage boxes that sit between the back seat and the tub - have you ever seen how small those really are?  Impossible to store golf clubs safely in a jeep...

It depends on your intent, but I wouldn't buy another unless I bought a TJ (coil spring vs. leaf spring suspension).  Lift any Jeep 4-6" and put 33" BF Goodrich All Terrains (35" is preferred if you lift the body as well) on it and there's really nowhere you can't go.  Add air lockers to the front and rear axels and the only terrain you can't cover is the stuff specialty rigs are created for.

Too bad Jeeps only seat four (I've got three kids)...  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I owned an 80 CJ-7 that I restored from the frame up (fiberglass body, full cage, suspension lift, axels, gearing, lockers, wheels, tires, etc.).  I absolutely loved and adored my jeep - used to spend 3-4 weeks a year rockcrawling in Moab, UT.

The only thing I ever really hated was the fact that I couldn't lock it and/or protect valuables.  And before anyone mentions the lockable storage boxes that sit between the back seat and the tub - have you ever seen how small those really are?  Impossible to store golf clubs safely in a jeep...

It depends on your intent, but I wouldn't buy another unless I bought a TJ (coil spring vs. leaf spring suspension).  Lift any Jeep 4-6" and put 33" BF Goodrich All Terrains (35" is preferred if you lift the body as well) on it and there's really nowhere you can't go.  Add air lockers to the front and rear axels and the only terrain you can't cover is the stuff specialty rigs are created for.

Never seen a hard top for a CJ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't spend a dollar on a heep. I'd rather get something that can fit 4-6 people comfortably and still have plenty of storage space.

Not to mention...

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Good luck gettin cornbinder parts these days!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been there, done that - had the factory hard top and doors.  Never had the hard top on during the warm months & never played golf while it was snowing outside.  Seasonal opposites my friend...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Only 1 part is no longer made for 71-80 Scouts. That is the oil pump. However the rebuild kits are still being made. I can get 95% of parts that I could ever need from autozone. Very few do I have to do any searching for.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah and the babes love those Internationals!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only 1 part is no longer made for 71-80 Scouts. That is the oil pump. However the rebuild kits are still being made. I can get 95% of parts that I could ever need from autozone. Very few do I have to do any searching for.

Ahh, a scout...OK. I had a '63 3/4 ton pickup with a split axel & pto winch. That sumbitch would go ANYWHERE!! I loved it...but it got to the point that I couldn't find parts. Bummer. I wish I still had it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been there, done that - had the factory hard top and doors.  Never had the hard top on during the warm months & never played golf while it was snowing outside.  Seasonal opposites my friend...

Ahh-so! Didn't thunk of that!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
They have not made a REAL Jeep since Willys quit making them.

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

___

Save the Wave!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Here's my offroad beast, with my son, at a recent PA crew survival forum campout.  Lifted, lockers, beefed up driveline, etc.  There are two ways to look at this, small enough to fit thru, or powerful enough to move it out of the way.

Here's my Jeep, with the baby BOV in the foreground.  We use the Jeep primarily for a grocery getter with bad weather mobility, it is basically stock.  Never have stuck it, and not for lack of trying.  If roads are really bad or nonexistent, we run the ATv first as a scout vehicle.  I have managed to bury the ATV twice...

Ops
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I just bought one a couple of weeks ago.  87 Wrangler.  Kind of wanted one for awhile and couldn't pass this one up, especially for the price.  It's great as backup vehicle or for just all-round fun.  I'm going to fix it up as a project.
My Jeep
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got a 95 XJ.  Lifted, locked, the whole kit and kaboodle.  It's a great little truck for getting back down the narrow trails and is plenty capable of going anywhere I want it to go.

As a BOV though.....meh.  Kinda short on cargo space.  And my 24V Cummins in the Dodge gets better MPG than the 4.0 ltr H.O. does trying to spin the 37" meats currently on my Heep.

For a one-man BOV, it might not be too bad.  Unless you're like me and you have a plan to bug-out with your kitchen sink.

For a regular, capable stock 4X4 that is absolutley reliable.....it's hard to go wrong.  The 4.0 and trans are just about bulletproof.  And if you aren't trying to spin 35+" tires, the gas milage is decent too.

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I was faced with the same dilemma several weeks ago...

I got the Jeep.  A  black '04 Jeep Rubicon that came with Dana 44s front and rear and air lockers (front and rear).

The more I drive it, the more I love it.  Back seat folds down and completely out of the way for storage (folds down into where the foot wells are for rear passengers-completely).  I have the locking storage console (which I can stick my arm up to the shoulder into).  And both hard and soft tops.

Yeah, I wanted a scout or '72-'74 Fj40, but the jeep is more driveable than either.  

Chicks dig 'em too (jeeps that is)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#34]
All I see in jeeps anymore are high school girls and old men, sometimes there even together.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Just be careful in Wal-Mart parking lots. There is a crazy guy out there cutting the tops off Jeeps.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Only problem with a jeep is if it doesn't hold all your stuff or passengers. Also, a large truck would be better at smashing through gates & roadblocks (you specified survival), but the jeep would better be able to go around them. Hard core offroading definitly favors the jeep.

I have an '88 XJ Cherokee with 322k miles on it. Still runs great.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I got the Jeep.  A  black '04 Jeep Rubicon that came with Dana 44s front and rear and air lockers (front and rear).

The more I drive it, the more I love it.  Back seat folds down and completely out of the way for storage (folds down into where the foot wells are for rear passengers-completely).  I have the locking storage console (which I can stick my arm up to the shoulder into).  And both hard and soft tops.

Yeah, I wanted a scout or '72-'74 Fj40, but the jeep is more driveable than either.  

I thought the Rubicon had electronic lockers? In any case, better off road than a stock FJ-40 or Scout.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got a '52 USMC M38A1.

It works fine offroad.

Plus, the 1919A4 on the mount will come in handy in a SHTF situation.

Av.

Edit fer speelin'. And to brag about the 1919A4.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've got a '52 USMC M38A1.

It work's fine offroad.

Av.

Pretty much the same as a CJ-5, as I understand it. I'd like a CJ-5 . . .
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Pretty much the same as a CJ-5, as I understand it. I'd like a CJ-5 . . .

A few changes for the civilian market, but the same wheelbase, length, etc.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the Rubicon had electronic lockers? In any case, better off road than a stock FJ-40 or Scout.

air lockers...

rubicon specs

copied/ Press the dash-mounted rocker switch once and a low-pressure "air-actuated" pump mechanically locks the rear axle. Press it again and the front locker is engaged./copied
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#42]
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2512249746173560379

a little unsafe for work, but not too bad.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I wouldn't spend a dollar on a heep. I'd rather get something that can fit 4-6 people comfortably and still have plenty of storage space.

Not to mention...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/kooter/Jeepta1.jpg

Oh look!

The last guy in the world with running IH just posted!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2512249746173560379

a little unsafe for work, but not too bad.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Get both!

A Wrangler and a trailer will serve most purposes.   I'd only suggest a truck if you plan on doing alot of towing.  I think the Wrangler is only rated for 3,000 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
All I see in jeeps anymore are high school girls and old men, sometimes there even together.

Then it's working
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
  How do you all feel about them? Is it a good survival vehicle? I have one, a '93 wranlger. Should I sell it for a tuck?

Nah, just tuck that shirt in & gone on about your bid'ness.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I love my 00' Jeep Wrangler even with it's gutless wonder in line 4! I have a truck though.

I WAVE
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Not to mention...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/kooter/Jeepta1.jpg

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a 1998 Cherokee with a 3" lift. It's a perfect Urban Assault Vehicle (I work in Detroit) and the perfect off road vehicle that seats 4. ( I live out in the woods south of  the murder capital.)  I have friends who own the same with 200K to 250K on the original drivetrain.
YOU WILL NOT FIND A INTERNATIONAL SCOUT WITH THAT KIND OF DURABILITY!!
I've seen a few here in Mich. but only in boneyards the road salt ate them rather quickly.  

C.M.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top