Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 6:06:17 PM EDT
Is there a forum such as this for jeep owners? More specifically, discussing the ol' Cherokee line.

I have never owned a 4x4, and like the simplicity of the Cherokee. I know it was a design that didn't change much while it was produced. Were there any production problems or recals? Is the 4.0 engine anythig to brag of?

I know there are a few Jeep owners and mid-sized SUV owners here who would own nothing else. Thank you for your opinion.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a ton of places on the net for jeep owners (me being one)...[url=http://www.jeepforum.com]Jeep Forums[/url] is one such place.

As far as Cherokees go...

The inline 6 is nothing to sneeze at. I remember guys in Wranglers, with the 4.0l's with manual transmissions, beating same-era Mustangs to 40mph or so (92-94). (Past that, transmission gearing came into effect..couldn't keep up. They weren't geared for it.) Plenty of get-up-and-go to them. Lots of torque and bullet-proof engines. They'll run forever, given some oil and gas. The only problems I know of were the earlier automatic transmissions; that, as I recall, was fixed. On the forum site I posted, they'd know far more than I.

Start from there, and move onwards [:)]

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.jeepaholics.com[/url]

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
off-road.com has some of pretty good forums. If you want answers, this is where you'll get them.
[url]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads/wwwthreads.pl[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.jeepsunlimited.com[/url]

[url]www.naxja.org/forum[/url]

I have had a 90 Cherokee since 96. The 4L is a great engine and reliable with care. There are differences in the different years. In 91 they came out with the higher output 4L. Along with various driveline changes and body changes.  I've driven mine all over the western US and here at home. Best 4WD I've ever owned.  The two websites above have alot of information.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess I'll second, or third, [url=http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/]Jeeps Unlimited[/url].

I'm considering an early to mid-90s Cherokee as a work vehicle myself. They are becoming extremely affordable and as has been said, are quite durable and simple to work on.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep JU and Naxja.

Your cherokee's model code is XJ, Naxja is a model specific group.

Watch out on JU's cherokee board, As cyanide can probably vouch there is more disinformation then information.

The 4.0 produces high torque number at lower rpm's. Unlike most motors out these days.

The best motor for the cherokee's are a 4.0 stroked.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guess I'll second, or third, [url=http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/]Jeeps Unlimited[/url].

I'm considering an early to mid-90s Cherokee as a work vehicle myself. They are becoming extremely affordable and as has been said, are quite durable and simple to work on.
View Quote

I'll throw my hat in the ring for JeepsUnlimited also. It is "Owned" by 4WD hardware in Columbiana, Ohio. Therefore, MANY of its users/members are in Ohio/PA.

I have had alot of luck finding and selling parts for my CJ on there.

The one head honcho, CJSIXER, was my little brothers best man.

These guys have access to anything technical, as well as first hand knowledge of aftermarket stuff.

It's sort of like an ar15.com for Jeeps, without the General discussion area...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Watch out on JU's cherokee board, As cyanide can probably vouch there is more disinformation then information.
View Quote

I have to disagree about the Cherokee forum. I wouldn't have recommended it otherwise. The CJ forum there is especially top notch and full of friendly people with a good deal of accurate technical knowledge/general Jeep info and willing to share it. The Cherokee forum isn't too far behind, in my opinion.

The 4.0 produces high torque number at lower rpm's. Unlike most motors out these days.

The best motor for the cherokee's are a 4.0 stroked.
View Quote

I think the best motor for the Cherokee are the 4.0s as they came from the factory. I've never noticed a lack of power in any of the 4.0 Cherokees I've driven.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the links. JeepForum.com and JU have a large amout of info to sort through.

I went and looked at a few stock Cherokees today. Two '00s and an '01 Sport. I liked the Sport, but it had 49k miles clocked on it.a little to high on a newer vehicle for myself. A neighbor/farmer of my grandfather has a '97 that he said I could test drive in his field if I decide thats what I want. Wich I think it is.

Neither of the three I looked at had leather, a CD player, a moonroof, or power seats. Thats no big deal, but are they offered? To let you know where I'm coming from, I drive a '94 Lincoln Continental, before that a '90 525I, and before that a '93 Sedan Deville. I would like a little driver comfort when I take a road trip.

I'm already looking to replace the factory tires and wheels. : )
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Although I'm not sure exactly which years the options were available, during it's nearly 20 year production run the Cherokees were indeed available with leather interiors, power seats, sunroofs, and probably CD players towards the end.

But to be honest, the little Cherokees are more of a practical vehicle than a luxury cruiser. If you need to hit the road in style and comfort, you may want to take a look at the newer Grand Cherokees instead.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The HO 4.0L was supposed to be a good motor... and I've seen some mostly stock jeeps in Moab, off-roading. The XJ's do pretty well down there-- good balance of wheelbase and width. My freind has a older CJ5 that is set up pretty heavy for Moab... still runs the old I-6 engine, but with fuel injection.

That said...

How does a Jeep go anywhere a Toyota can go?...
In the Toyotas PU bed... in pieces... [argue] [flame]

THIS IS A HIJACKING [:)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#13]
[IMG]http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/148JEEP_CHEROKEE_BACK-med.jpg[/IMG]

I bought this 91 Cherokee w/ 210,000 miles on it to lift and make a good mountain rig/daily driver out of.  I paid $2,500 for it.  Everything works good, the AC blows cold and all the power stuff works.

I put a 4.5" lift and 32" tires on it and it has been a great 4X4 rig.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How does a Jeep go anywhere a Toyota can go?
View Quote

Follow it to the mall? [rofl2]

So where can those badass RAV4s and Highlanders go anyhow? [;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 90 Cherokee that is used for off roading. Before that I had a 87 Comanche. If you want a vehicle that can carry 4 people off road then go for the Cherokee. If you want a nice ride, lots of power and handling don't get it.

There have been a bunch of recalls but I think nothing major after 94. Anything after 94 should be your best bet. The I6 is not a fast motor but they tend to run forever.

Here are some of the mods I have done. Lockers front and rear, full floating rear axle, 4 to 1 transfer case, 5 1/2" lift, 32" tires, rear roll cage, 4:11 gears.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top