Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2005 11:49:37 AM EDT
I'll be doing this soon, and I don't really have a ton of money to do it, so here's what I'm thinking:
Option A: 2" spacer type lift from Rubicon Express (new shocks + spacers for about $200) and 32" tires. It seems to me that this would be a good way to get a lot of bang for the buck... plus I would not have to worry about driveine vibration, etc. with this moderate lift.

Option B: 3" or 3.5" lift from Black Diamond or Rubicon Express (new coils, shocks, etc.) for about $550 and 33" tires.
 The Million Dollar Question... 1" extra height from the lift and 1" extra height from the tires. How does this translate as far as actual capability, and is it worth the extra bucks for the lift and slightly larger tires?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Option B.  You'll get better articulation.

but then again I'm a CJ type of guy with 4" lift and 35"s on my 5.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
SeaMaster,
Given the options,  B.

I have the 30" option from the factory and actualy have had NO trouble running moderate rated trails in stock form.   Any boost is going to give you vibs. How bad will vary and may not be noticeable yet still be damaging.  (I'm going with the Rancho 2.5 RockReady kit w/ sye conversion and 32")

**Be sure to get skid plates and good rocker guards

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddy has less than 1K in Tires, offset wheels and suspension and here are his results:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=134&t=372959

It is still relatively streetable and the offroad capabilities have been significantly enhanced.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My buddy has less than 1K in Tires, offset wheels and suspension and here are his results:

It is still relatively streetable and the offroad capabilities have been significantly enhanced.

Wow, that looks great, and priced right. Can you provide details on the lift kit/ tires/ other parts?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll shoot him an email and ask him for details
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Many Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with a 3.5" from BDS.  I run 33x12.5 on 15" offset rims.  You need articulation.  If you lift it and start running trails you are going to wish you lifted it more.  I would recommend a 4" or greater long arm kit, and an SYE to cure the vibration problems you will have.  With that you can easily run 33s and with a 1" body lift easily run 35s.  

Be warned!  You are on a very slippery slope my friend!  Proceed with caution.  I've got about $4k in my Jeep  this year!  

Edit:  looks like it's a 4.5" kit for a TJ.  I like BDS because the warrenty is simple.  If any part ever breaks they replace it.

BDS lift kit
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW what axles do you have?  Stock dana 30 in the front and a 35 in the back or did you get Dana 44s?  That's gonna be the next thing you will want to change.  Most people lift it first, then they realize they need bigger axles/diffs and then you get lockers.  If you put locker in your stock Dana 30/35s remember to bring extra axles with you.  All depends on how far you want to go.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I know my Dana 35 will have to be replaced by a 44 about the time I decide to do a locker.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I used the ProComp 2inch lift(springs and shocks $250?)The kit actually lifted my TJ 2.5 inches, but I had drive line vibration, even after replacing the U-joints.(they were stiff)I then lifted the body and motor 1 inch.That cured the vibration.I am running 32x11.50x15.Works great.Next
lower gears and WIDE fender flares.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's my YJ with a 3.5" lift.  It's got leafs but it should still give you an idea of what it will look like.  It has 33x12.5x15's on it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
just got my YJ home last night.  4inch standard rubicon express kit. heavy duty 1.25inch shackles. 2inch body lift.  running TJ flares.  35inch BFG's.  the list of stuff I've done to it is getting pretty long.

waiting on my new front telescoping trackbar.  bellyup skid is on the menu soon.

haven't finished the e-brakes yet, hence the wheelchocks. LOL

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
just got my YJ home last night.  4inch standard rubicon express kit. heavy duty 1.25inch shackles. 2inch body lift.  running TJ flares.  35inch BFG's.  the list of stuff I've done to it is getting pretty long.

waiting on my new front telescoping trackbar.  bellyup skid is on the menu soon.

amarino01.homestead.com/liftedyj1.jpg

Who's rocker guards did you use?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no rocker guards yet.  those are just vinyl, just wanted to cover up the holes till I can decide which ones to get.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no rocker guards yet.  those are just vinyl, just wanted to cover up the holes till I can decide which ones to get.

Cool.  I'm thinking Poison Spyder on mine but the nerf bars will have to do until I get my axle swap done.  I'm going with a Ford 9" w/5.38 gears and a Detroit in the rear and a Dana 44 HP w/5.38s and a Detroit in the front.  

That's why I have the good deals posted up in the EE!

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll be doing this soon, and I don't really have a ton of money to do it, so here's what I'm thinking:
Option A: 2" spacer type lift from Rubicon Express (new shocks + spacers for about $200) and 32" tires. It seems to me that this would be a good way to get a lot of bang for the buck... plus I would not have to worry about driveine vibration, etc. with this moderate lift.

Option B: 3" or 3.5" lift from Black Diamond or Rubicon Express (new coils, shocks, etc.) for about $550 and 33" tires.
 The Million Dollar Question... 1" extra height from the lift and 1" extra height from the tires. How does this translate as far as actual capability, and is it worth the extra bucks for the lift and slightly larger tires?

You should have got a YJ.

Go with option B you will be happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top