Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 1:42:59 AM EDT
So, I'm driving home from work when, without notice, the Jeep just dies on me. It was as if somebody turned off a light switch....I turn the key and I get absolutely nothing. No noise, no click, not even a whimper out of the old girl (88 Wrangler I6). Battery is good, headlights, emergency flashers, etc all work. Radio, voltmeter (in dash) do not work.

Educated guess on my part would be the fusible link btwn the alternator and Motorcraft solenoid. The Chilton manual I have doesn't even have the correct wiring diagram I need (very frustrating). Can anybody tell me where in the wiring loom the fusible link is located?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
My best guess is either the ignition relay or the auto shut down relay.
What year is your jeep?
Could be your crank sensor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...Iknow exactly what is wrong.

It stopped running.  Tow it to a mechanic and hand him $100 bill to fix it right the first time.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
timing belt?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Check the grounding straps between the engine and the body/frame. I had this problem on my XJ and it was due to a vaporized grounding strap.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The fusable link should be on the firewall/cowling area about in the middle.

From your description, it is the ignition circuit that is out.  This is the circuit that is "hot" when the key is in th "on" position.

Sinxe trhe starter is not engaging either, I would check the switch first.  These do fail often, and you will find the dealer stocks them.  

Note: the ignition switch is NOT what you put your key into, that is the lock.  The switch is a funky looking thingie (technical term) that is attached to the steering column just above the brake pedal. It has a large wiring connector plugged into it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Note: the ignition switch is NOT what you put your key into, that is the lock.  The switch is a funky looking thingie (technical term) that is attached to the steering column just above the brake pedal. It has a large wiring connector plugged into it.

Good catch, I didn't think of that. It's obvious now, though. The failure mode for a grounding strap is a little different than he outlined.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Check the wire from the switch to the coil to make sure it hasn't grounded out to the frame at the firewall. This happened on my son's Cherokee a couple of years ago in Austin. It cost me $75 for a mobile mechanic's  opinion and reference , $55 for a tow truck and $600 for two '' mechanics '' to find and replace this five cents worth of wire.  
Good luck
leroy
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/ , check around here
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/ , check around here

+1

These guys are awesome.  I hang out in the CJ section ocassionally.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
timing belt?

does not have a belt.......
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

From your description, it is the ignition circuit that is out.  This is the circuit that is "hot" when the key is in th "on" position.

Sinxe trhe starter is not engaging either, I would check the switch first.  These do fail often, and you will find the dealer stocks them.  

ar-wrench,

You hit it right on the nose. Thirty dollar part and ten minutes worth of work and I'm on the road again......I owe you one. I'm really beginning to hate ghetto cars...Sadly, I need a POS to get to work and back, and the jeep serves that purpose...Thks again
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
You are welcome, glad to help.

In payment, i expect you to, in turn, help someone else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top