Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 8:52:41 PM EDT
My girlfreind has a 1998 Jeep CHerokee and the brakes are surgeing pretty good. Im gonna replace the pads and turn the rotors on friday. My question is, o the front disk brakes have sealed bearings? Do i have to mess with that when I pull the rotors? I hate messing with that, and I want to plan out how long I need to put aside for the day. IF I dont have to mess with bearings Ill have time to head to the range and bitch slap one of my managers who thinks hes hot shit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked my husband and he has no clue we also have a jeep. I would reccomend going to www.ilovejeeps.com this has been very helpful for us!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Your bearings are pressed in. The rotors and pads are "hang and bang." One hour max for the average shade-tree.

Jeep rotors are made of composite metals that are susceptible to warping (two different metals that heat and cool at a different rate) which gives that "pulsing" feel to the pedal.

Composite rotors are not easy to turn on a lathe even if they are within the manufacturer's discard specification. I generally recommend replacing them with aftermarket solid-vented type rotors. The cost is neglible considering your pulsing pedal will return soon after you turn your composite rotors.

Panzer Out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top