www.jeep.com/crd/index.html?context=liberty_home&type=promo

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Diesel = good
Liberty = not so much
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Great, BUT ITS IN THE WRONG JEEP!

The Mercades diesel needs to be in WRANGLER.

I am sure the Rangers would be very happy to trade in their Land Rovers for the LWB Wrangler with a diesel.

I have been hoping for this for FIVE YEARS since Daimler bought Chrysler.  Why the hell did it take so long?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I want that in the Dakota Pickup.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#5]
they should offer the diesel in the TJ.  the liberty is a girly car
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The Liberty is suprisingly capable off road.  But why would you take a vheicle that you cant simply hose out when you get home off road?

Mechanically very good, but packaged for Yuppies and Soccer Moms.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am sure the Rangers would be very happy to trade in their Land Rovers for the LWB Wrangler with a diesel.

I have been hoping for this for FIVE YEARS since Daimler bought Chrysler.  Why the hell did it take so long?

In the future, Daimler won't be building the Jeep. It will be bulilt by about 5 differnt companies all operating in the same area.  HYUNDAI , Will build and operate the chassis shop, IIRC.

Mobis, Kuka, Durr to operate 3 plants

By JULIE M. McKINNON
BLADE BUSINESS WRITER

One is gearing up to supply Hyundai Motor Co.'s auto plant opening in Alabama next year.

Another installs manufacturing equipment in auto plants nationwide, using two Michigan facilities to do some final assembly work on production lines for DaimlerChrysler AG and others.

The third designs and builds paint systems at U.S. auto and parts factories and owns other operations nationwide, including an 85-employee operation in Bowling Green that makes industrial filters.

Although South Korea's Hyundai Mobis and Germany's Kuka Group and Durr Group may not be well known in the Toledo area as auto suppliers, they have made strides elsewhere in the United States.

The three were named this week to to supply Chrysler's Toledo Jeep Assembly Plant with complete chassis and painted bodies for the redesigned Wrangler.

They will build and operate three factories at the Jeep complex between Chrysler Drive and Stickney Avenue in north Toledo, the first time suppliers have worked side by side with U.S. autoworkers. The $900 million new factories are to be in operation in 2006.

At Jeep, Hyundai Mobis will for the first time build a complete chassis, Kuka assemble a vehicle body, and Durr man a paint shop in the United States. For all three suppliers, the work at Jeep will be either the first time to provide such extensive services or the company's biggest effort worldwide.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the future, Daimler won't be building the Jeep. It will be bulilt by about 5 differnt companies all operating in the same area.  HYUNDAI , Will build and operate the chassis shop, IIRC.

Mobis, Kuka, Durr to operate 3 plants

By JULIE M. McKINNON
BLADE BUSINESS WRITER

One is gearing up to supply Hyundai Motor Co.'s auto plant opening in Alabama next year.

Another installs manufacturing equipment in auto plants nationwide, using two Michigan facilities to do some final assembly work on production lines for DaimlerChrysler AG and others.

The third designs and builds paint systems at U.S. auto and parts factories and owns other operations nationwide, including an 85-employee operation in Bowling Green that makes industrial filters.

Although South Korea's Hyundai Mobis and Germany's Kuka Group and Durr Group may not be well known in the Toledo area as auto suppliers, they have made strides elsewhere in the United States.

The three were named this week to to supply Chrysler's Toledo Jeep Assembly Plant with complete chassis and painted bodies for the redesigned Wrangler.

They will build and operate three factories at the Jeep complex between Chrysler Drive and Stickney Avenue in north Toledo, the first time suppliers have worked side by side with U.S. autoworkers. The $900 million new factories are to be in operation in 2006.

At Jeep, Hyundai Mobis will for the first time build a complete chassis, Kuka assemble a vehicle body, and Durr man a paint shop in the United States. For all three suppliers, the work at Jeep will be either the first time to provide such extensive services or the company's biggest effort worldwide.

All those companies are wholly OWNED by Daimler Chrysler.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Regardless what you think of the liberty, I wish nothing but good luck for any company willing to go out on a limb to get the desiel demand here in the states.

There should be a desiel option for most autos IMO.

I agree. However, the problem isn't so much with public demand for diesels as with emissions. California's CARB has decided that diesel emissions are carcinogenic, and has placed impossibly strict restrictions on them after 2007. The auto industry doesn't  see much future in introducing engines that they can't sell in California (and may not be able to sell anywhere else if the Feds adopt CARB's standards for the other 49 states).

Meanwhile, in Europe, the regulations are written to balance overall emissions against fuel economy. Thus, diesels are hugely popular in England, France, Germany, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What Mercedes diesel?

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

All those companies are wholly OWNED by Daimler Chrysler.

That may be the case today (I don't know) but DC only had a small stake in Hyundai Mobis two years ago.

Most (if not all) of DC is actually owned by Deutsche Bank Group and the Kuwaitis.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
The CRD is a mercedes engine, Daimler is mercedes.

You've been able to buy a dieseled jeep in every country except the US.   Our Diesel fuel refining standard has too much sulfur for the other engine designs and would meet requirements.

The CRD motor as well as new higher standards in diesel quality (lowered allowed sulfur levels) should allow the CRD to go over well.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Bring back the Cherokee.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Diesel = good
Liberty = not so much

Yeah but  put it into a Cherokee or a Wrangler and look out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The CRD is a mercedes engine, Daimler is mercedes.

You been able to by a diesel jeep in every country except the US.   Our Diesel fuel refineing standard has too much sulfur fro the other engine designs and would meet requirements.

The CRD motor as well as new higher standards in diesel quality (lowered allowed sulfur levels) the CRD will go over well.

Oh you mean the engine upcoming. Not Mercedes per se, The CRD 2.8 in the Lib is a VM engine, used to be owned by Penske (and may be goin back) recently a subsidiary of  Detriot Diesel, a subsidiary of DC. Basically the same CRD 2.8 engine has been provided to Ford (as a 2.5l) and is an outgrowth of an engine Rover used in the Euro Range Rover. This design originated before the acquisition, AFAIK. We'll see how Low sulphur goes in 2006. Everyone is pissy about it.

Thought Armd meant there was another engine option forthcoming.

Luck
Alac

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top