Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 7:59:57 PM EDT
Let me tell you, I would NOT want to be downrange of that gun! Man, the cyclic on that thing's got to be above 1k rpm. Made absolute HASH out of some 5 gal water jugs, jumpin' all over the place.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, I've been playing MOH on my X-Box, and that's bad enough. To have been on the receiving end of a REAL one must have been absolutely pure hell.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
actually its 1200 RPM (IIRC)
ETA: i just moved so my books are packed away
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
hate those frackin MG42's in Call of Duty 2  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Just shot mine all day yesterday!!! First time on the tripod.

We also spent some time with the 240B and the PKM but the MG42 is the shit when it comes to putting a lot of accurate lead down range. 1200rpm with the anti-bolt bounce spring.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
actually its 1200 RPM (IIRC)
ETA: i just moved so my books are packed away

You Sir are......Correct. THe MG42 is a very interestig weapon.

RAGNAR..........You make me sad inside.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
WWII guns without the anti bolt bounce spring ran at 1500
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Awesome game.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had the pleasure once. VERY impressive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I seen it to, it appears my wewee has been stricken with rigamortis.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Considering that the 240B is officially rated 950 (I've heard of them running as high as 1100), a no-spring '42 must have been insane....

I know that when they did the MG-3, the Germans slowed it down on purpose...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone ever see that informational video the .gov put out for the soldiers during WW2 about the MG42? It said, "the bark is worse than the bite!" NOT QUITE!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anyone ever see that informational video the .gov put out for the soldiers during WW2 about the MG42? It said, "the bark is worse than the bite!" NOT QUITE!

Yeah, the War Department was telling those kids, or, as I like to call them, bullet-stoppers, all sorts of tall tales about the lack of capability of the Wermacht.

Of course, nobody in command bothered to cc: the Germans on any of that horseshit. "The Sherman tank is the finest armored fighting vehicle in the world!"

Read Belton Cooper's "Deathtraps" for some insight on the war and on the trials faced by US Soldiers in combat. Woo!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah, I saw that. They had all these head to head BS tests showing how German weapons were inferior. Oh well I understand the need at the time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Only ONE THING better than a 42 and thats a 43

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the War Department was telling those kids, or, as I like to call them, bullet-stoppers, all sorts of tall tales about the lack of capability of the Wermacht.

Of course, nobody in command bothered to cc: the Germans on any of that horseshit. "The Sherman tank is the finest armored fighting vehicle in the world!"

Read Belton Cooper's "Deathtraps" for some insight on the war and on the trials faced by US Soldiers in combat. Woo!

The Sherman's only real strength was it's numbers.  But that was enough.  The Tiger was a work of armored art, but too much quality and not enough quantity.  Lots of guys died in the Sherman.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#17]
guy used to show up at the local MG shoots with a pair on a AA setup  almost sounded like a minigun
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Sherman's only real strength was it's numbers.  But that was enough.  The Tiger was a work of armored art, but too much quality and not enough quantity.  Lots of guys died in the Sherman.  

They were fast, too - I think the Krauts had to mod the Panther to even approach the speed. The Sherman was probably the fastest tank in the US Army's "Heavy" class (which made it about equal to the PzKfw IV at the beginning of the war), but not the fastest tank in the inventory - the Hellcat, a Buick product, would go something like 50+ mph, turned like a sumbitch, and seemed to have a pretty low profile.

Still, the Krauts liked to use ambush tactics on the advancing US forces, and that kind of fighting style always highlights the offensive army's casualties.

ETA: I hijacked my own thread!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Not the best quality, but here's a googled link:

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2522036044479053949&q=mg42

Wowzerz... would not want to be on the other end of that
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Considering that the 240B is officially rated 950 (I've heard of them running as high as 1100), a no-spring '42 must have been insane....

I know that when they did the MG-3, the Germans slowed it down on purpose...

They wanted the dwell time in the chamber to be a little longer. They sometimes extracted before the pressure has gone down enough, which of course blows the case.  Thats at 1500, the anti-bounce spring brings it to 1200 which is safe and still damn fast. Think of it, 20 rounds a second! You cannot hear individual shots, it doesnt sound like full auto it is just noise.

We are getting the dual AA mount this year. That will be a blast.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]
....trying to figure out where in WA Ragnar lives.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Say what yuo will about the German war machine of the 40's, but they made some damn imopressive weaponry.  .  

So did the good 'ol' USA, don't get me wrong.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#23]
There is still no finer crew-served weapon.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not the best quality, but here's a googled link:

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2522036044479053949&q=mg42

Wowzerz... would not want to be on the other end of that

Jeezeum crow! You wouldn't just catch one round, you'd be hit by like 14 or something. probably would blow you to pieces.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The 42's are a royal pain in the ass in video games, I'd hate to see what it's like in real life
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The 42's are a royal pain in the ass in video games, I'd hate to see what it's like in real life

They're fun to shoot (I got to fire one a few times) but obviously to be on the receiving end would be teh suck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:04:45 AM EDT
[#27]
My father said that was one of the worst things to hear, especially moving towards it!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:55:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What should have the US told it's troops?

TO: SACEUR

CC: ALL TANK FORCES

SUBJECT: You're fucked.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What should have the US told it's troops?

TO: SACEUR

CC: ALL TANK FORCES

SUBJECT: You're fucked.

They could have said that it appears that the Tiger is a wee bit better than your Sherman, and we recommend you use your brain, not brawn. DO NOT go toe to toe with this tank. Flank it, kill it, and move on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Someone school me on the MG 43, please.

I quaified on an mg42type weapon with the German Army in 87. Amazing weapon. ( I qualified expert, by the way, Gold schutzenschnur) Oh, and as an aside, the German army knew how to lay on some fuckin chow in the field, too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I quaified on an mg42type weapon with the German Army in 87. Amazing weapon. ( I qualified expert, by the way, Gold schutzenschnur)

Oh, and as an aside, the German army knew how to lay on some fuckin chow in the field, too.

What are the Krauts using now? HK 21? IS there any comparison?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I quaified on an mg42type weapon with the German Army in 87. Amazing weapon. ( I qualified expert, by the way, Gold schutzenschnur)

Oh, and as an aside, the German army knew how to lay on some fuckin chow in the field, too.

Gold 'schnurr holder here too.  That was an MG3.  

The '42 is the best LMG ever built.  Period.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#33]
You really haven't lived until you've run a hundred round belt through an MG42, fired from the hip.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I quaified on an mg42type weapon with the German Army in 87. Amazing weapon. ( I qualified expert, by the way, Gold schutzenschnur) h,

Gold 'schnurr holder here too.  That was an MG3.  

Thanks. I knew it was a single digit number. i gotta agree. Made the M-60 look ridiculous.

Anyone for helping me out on this mg 43 thing?

Someone asked if the the Germens were using the MG3 still and the answer is I dont know. I left in '92. I would imagine that there are plenty still in use since it was a good weapon but the truth is , I dont really know.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm pretty sure they still have the MG3 in their inventory.

I've always wanted an MG-42, but the $42,000 price tag is more than a little out of my range. Heck, I can't even afford an AR-15 or Romak-3.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
They could have said that it appears that the Tiger is a wee bit better than your Sherman, and we recommend you use your brain, not brawn. DO NOT go toe to toe with this tank. Flank it, kill it, and move on.

The vast majority of tanks encountered by Sherman crews were not Tigers, given the tiny amount that were actually in service at any one time. And it was known that the Tiger should not be engaged head-on from when they first encountered them in North Africa.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a guy here that shoots a 42 at one of the local MG shoots. It is the cats ass!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome game.

Can anyone give some secrets of getting through the Siegfried Line?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Agreed.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Doc, didja get to shoot any during your clog-wearin' days with the Danish Army?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I know a guy in Ohio who has one, says the MG42 is a machinists nightmare and that it has to be stripped completely down after shooting. Doesn't sound like a good weapon for an undisciplined or lazy soldier...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I know a guy in Ohio who has one, says the MG42 is a machinists nightmare and that it has to be stripped completely down after shooting. Doesn't sound like a good weapon for an undisciplined or lazy soldier...

Let me guess, hwe works in a gun store. ...........................................

Why would a machinist be firing a machine gun?

The MG42 was designed to replace the MG34, it cost something like 30% less than what the MG34 did. It was also designed to be simple to build, without having to machine lots of parts.

I somehow doubt the Wermarcht allowed undisciplined soldiers to last long without serious correction.

If they are so bad, why are there thousand upon thousands worldwide 60 years after being made under wartime conditions?

Not to mention the current weapons MG3, MG59, that are basically "freshened" MG42 progeny.

The MG42 is a GPMG, it could be used as a LMG, MMG, or HMG. The germans had multiple mounts for the MG42 including dual and quad AA mounts, that had 1 trigger to fire all the mounted weapons...................... 5,000 rpm . They also used magnified sights in some of the mounts.

They had "saddle drum" magazines, which actually protected short ammo belts. So the ammo was portected, and the weapon could be used on the move.

The rate of fire was dependent on how the ammo was fed. Saddle drums generally lowered the rate of fire, due to the belts being less free moving. 900-1200 rpm is often quted for the MG42, dependant on the mount.

It was an evoluntionary weapon. Look at the US MG's of the time. NOT portable, no quick change barrels, heavier, tripod mounted, etc. Or the BAR, appx the same weight, lower rate of fire, no quick change barrel, magazine fed.

The Germans felt the MG was the basic infantry weapon. Riflemen were supposed to carry extra ammo and support the MG teams.

www.wwiirelics.com/weapons7.htm
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I shot one at the last Gunstock from Machinegun  Tours..
awesome!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Doc, didja get to shoot any during your clog-wearin' days with the Danish Army?

Quite a bit actually.

Before I turned 18 and joined the regular army, I was in the national guard - where I was issued an MG42 (or MG3 or MG42/59 - or whatever the modern designation is.  We just called it the LMG).  So I was trained on it then, and had some live-fire experience with it to ranges out to 600 meters - including squad competitions and run-and-gun type shoots.  When I was a recruit in the regular army I was occasionally issued an LMG because of my national guard training, when an LMG was needed during exercises.

In the regular army I was trained on it extensively during sergeant's school - because sergeants have to be able to serve as instructors for all the weapons systems, so I spent quite a bit of time on the range with it then.  And during officer's training there was more time on the range with the LMG.

So over the years, I've fired off a LOT of rounds with it.  

There's me and my best buddy with the LMG and the Carl Gustav- each infantry squad in the Danish army was issued one of each. (This was on a training exercise, not live-fire - notice the blank-firing device)

TheOtherDave - your friend in Ohio that owns one is completely insane, or grossly misinformed.  It is a super-simple design, and is extremely user-friendly, easy to disassemble, strip, etc. For example, You can do a barrel change in less than five seconds during live-fire.  I also have no idea why in the world he would claim that it needs to be stripped down after shooting???  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#46]
The Bakersfield Police Dept(in Ca.) has an MG42.

They confiscated it from a guy in a traffic stop(the dude was shadey and I trust my friend who knows the story of the stop and the driver's background).    Seems the gun was a WWII bring back that was his grandfathers.

Instead of destroying the gun the dept. went through the process of having it transferred into the police department's possession.   It's still in the original 8mm chambering and is a part of the SWAT team's arsenal.     Can't figure out what they need a belt fed for but I'm sure they love getting to take it out shooting.

Get this, they were at the local range shooting the thing and while doing so the police dept. telephone operators get a call from a WWII vet living in the area who called to say, "I might be crazy but I can swear I hear somebody firing an MG42 in the neighborhood."     He was right.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You really haven't lived until you've run a hundred round belt through an MG42, fired from the hip.

Hmmm....  Lemme guess...
Did Shaggy have anything to do with this ???
I've seen him do that with one of his 1919's...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm....  Lemme guess...
Did Shaggy have anything to do with this ???
I've seen him do that with one of his 1919's...

Who??    What????
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Let me tell you, I would NOT want to be downrange of that gun! Man, the cyclic on that thing's got to be above 1k rpm. Made absolute HASH out of some 5 gal water jugs, jumpin' all over the place.

Ah yes...the MG42 AKA "Hitlers Zipper" A fine Machine Gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#50]
From the World Guns site:

As a last note, i should point out that MG-42 system of operations is often confused with one, developed by the Mauser-Werke in 1945 and made famous by various CETME and Heckler & Koch rifles (G3), machine guns (HK21, HK23) and submachine guns (MP5). These systems, while both using two rollers located between the bolt head and the bolt body, are completely different in operations. In MG-42, the barrel is movable and recoils for short time, while being rigidly locked. In H&K designs, barrel does not move, and rollers are used not to lock the barrel, but only to slow down the bolt head rearward motion at the initial stages of the reloading cycle. The only other weapon, produced in large numbers, that used MG-42 roller locking, is a Czech-made vz.52 pistol, not to mention the MG-3 machine gun, which, in this respect, is the same as MG-42.

AS I was reading about the roller-locking mechanism, the first thought in my pea-brain was, "Look! Da Krauts used dat idear in my JLD PTR-91!" Then I read on, and realized that the unlocking mechanism is actually very similar to the roller-lockers in my CZ-52.

I can tell that roller-locking actions in general are far less sensitive to dirt and bad ammo than gas operated stuff. They say the rifles have more recoil; my Garand kicks about as much as my JLD does (yes, I know that .30-'06 is slightly more powerful than .308). My Mauser kicks 10 times worse than both put together.

Anyway, I'm a believer in roller-lock actions!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top