Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:36:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 9:37:22 AM EDT by 55Kingpin]

Plot Summary for
Jarhead (2005)
Jarhead (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom... Foxx portrays Sergeant Sykes, a Marine lifer who heads up Swofford's scout/sniper platoon, while Sarsgaard is Swoff's friend and mentor, Troy, a die-hard member of STA-their elite Marine Unit.

Leave Cold--- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418763/plotsummary

Anybody gonna see this one?

ETA: for the Tagline:

Tagline: Welcome To The Suck

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:46:48 PM EDT
Read the book. I wouldn't want to help put another buck in Swofford's pocket.
IMHO He came across as a whiny sick SOB.

Blitz
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:31:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:28:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
After reading other reviews of the book

"Jarhead" Movie
every 1 see the Jarhead trailer yet?
New movie "Jarhead"
"Jarhead" Desert Storm Movie
Preview for new movie Jarhead.

I'm holding out for something better.

Damn....where was I a month ago

Looks like I'll pass on this one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:47:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
After reading other reviews of the book

"Jarhead" Movie
every 1 see the Jarhead trailer yet?
New movie "Jarhead"
"Jarhead" Desert Storm Movie
Preview for new movie Jarhead.

I'm holding out for something better.

Damn....where was I a month ago

Looks like I'll pass on this one.

Good idea!

I tried to read the book.
It sickened me so much that I gave the bool away before I finished it.

He give Marines a bad name.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:06:19 PM EDT
That guy was a sick fuck. Maybe he's better now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:16:22 PM EDT
What did he do??? What is so bad about it?!

You better tell me all the good stuff and totally spoil it for me or else i'm gonna go watch it!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:16:47 PM EDT
Can't wait to see it. Liked the book.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:23:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gordon_freeman:
What did he do??? What is so bad about it?!

You better tell me all the good stuff and totally spoil it for me or else i'm gonna go watch it!

He didnt really do anything, he just let a mob mentality take him over. He was really fucked up. Funny thing was, thats why he was a good marine.

Should be a good flick.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:44:35 PM EDT
So it is based on the book. I'll have to see it
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:21:21 AM EDT
Two liberal anti-military actors as US Marines? Yeah, that will be unbiased
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:29:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:31:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NonConformist:
So it is based on the book. I'll have to see it

Please Don't!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:26:51 PM EDT
cant be as bad as the new marine sniper book...what was it called shooter or something shit i just read it and i forgot. the guy that thinks hes a god of marine snipers, even better than carlos hathcock even though this clown never went threw sniper school.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:07:04 PM EDT
combat jack....what do you know about being a good marine?....didnt think so

Swofford's a dick. i know 2 guys from his STA platoon. one of them was an impressionable LCpl at the time. the other is a Warrant officer (then a sgt) i would trust my life to and to a man they say he's a shit brick. the kind of guy bootcamp is meant to weed out. i was hearing stories about this guy before the book came out when he was still a nobody. I havent read his book but i will see the movie
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:09:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:
combat jack....what do you know about being a good marine?....didnt think so

Swofford's a dick. i know 2 guys from his STA platoon. one of them was an impressionable LCpl at the time. the other is a Warrant officer (then a sgt) i would trust my life to and to a man they say he's a shit brick. the kind of guy bootcamp is meant to weed out. i was hearing stories about this guy before the book came out when he was still a nobody. I havent read his book but i will see the movie

I had heard he was a good Marine (sources related to his book) and assumed that only Marines of talent and ability made it into the STA platoons. My mistake.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:15:56 PM EDT
sure, he says he was a good Marine in his book. you kind of have to understand the Marine culture. especially in the 90s. S/S platoon and STA platoon were the bastard step children to the infantry. they were unwanted. heaped into H&S company who didnt want us either. the good side of this is being completely independant. as long as you stayed out of view no one cared what you did. the downside was you sucked hind tit for money for training and school seats. i'd say pre-desert storm maybe 1/4 of the shooters had been to school. most were trained in the platoon. after the war by 93 or 94 all the sudden S/S was a respected asset. we got money, quantico, bridgeport, SERE, if we wanted to go we could. but the older guys who had been in DS told stories about the "old days" leading up to the war when no one went to school etc etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:28:29 PM EDT
you guys train in bridgeport? i thought only mountain warfare was up there. My old man had to report up there as well when he was in Force Recon resevers but thats all i have heard of up there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:04:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

What?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:29:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

What?

You Liked the Book?