Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2001 9:03:05 AM EDT
Hello

My name is Jeff and I was wondering if anyone out there knows anythink about WWII Japanese Swords or Can tell me any websites that I can go to to find out about them. I have a Sword that a friend of mine brought back from thae front lines in WWII. Anything would be helpfull

Thanks
Jeff
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Your sword will be of the Shin Gunto variety.

Check this site:

[url]http://search.aol.com/redirect.adp?appname=QBP&query=%f5%d4%16%1d%dd%9f%0d%e5%2a%32%23%31%6a%be%c8%a8%df%f1%76%f2%c4%01%4f%c3%5e%56%72%c1%a8%d3%6b%6b%a0%c2%3b%50%8d%48%a4%c0%14%cb%c2%c4%d4%a6%7f%d8%10%3c%da%16%e4%1f%24%7e%8b%2a%cd%5d%50%ae%33%ee%8d%66%2b%af%a3%ca%fd%a1%74%63%57%43%2a%c1%c9%3e%48%cd%f0%49%65%aa%52%a8%c0%fc%91%27%82%a2%f7%82%da%f0%6a%a0%40%3a%42%ab%1d%df%bb%be%d1%5c%0c%06%0d%74%08%b7%f9%3b%1b%26[/url]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the Info, Thats some good insight.
Sheesh never thought ending up with a sword would require this much thought and looking into.

Do you know where to find some pics and prices on what such a sword as this might be worth.

I talked to a friend that owns a lot of tim and he asked me if I wanted to sell and said he would give me right now on the spot 200.00 Of corse I said no.

Another friend that wanted to buy it said he would give me 500.00 but I Again said no.

So I took this sword to an antique dealer in town, LOL what an ass he was. He said the sword was a fake and if it was real that someone has mokeyed with it. Ok I say, So someone might have messed with handle, So what,sheesh, It was war tme and a man has to do what a man has to do if he wants to live. Maybe the solder broke the handle and made a new one, not like he had a swordsmith he could call.

I asked this antique dealer what about the blade( I understand that handle doesnt matter but blade does) He told me it was a bad blade. What, Why is that?? He said that since it had no engraving that it was a sword that ment nothing, a foot soulders blade.WTF, thouht only Officers cared swords.

So please anyone HELP

Oh
And ty you again for the info
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I knew a guy who's dad was on a ship in the Navy in WWII, and watched as a couple hundred of these swords were deep sixed (dropped overboard).  They had captured a lot of Japanese officers, who all carried a sword.

If I remember correctly, the swords in WWII were called 'Gunto', and the blades are not traditionally forged or tempered.  They're mostly basically machine made steel blades.  Good for whackin stuff, but definitely not up to the quality of traditionally forged blades.  I saw one of these at a gun show that had been remounted, new saya (scabbard) and everything.  $900.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I asked this antique dealer what about the blade( I understand that handle doesnt matter but blade does) He told me it was a bad blade. What, Why is that?? He said that since it had no engraving that it was a sword that ment nothing, a foot soulders blade.WTF, thouht only Officers cared swords.

So please anyone HELP

Oh
And ty you again for the info
View Quote

Here's the deal. Those who collect Samurai Swords don't touch Shin Gunto Blades. They are only interested in pre meiji(1868) blades. Concerning genuiine pre meiji blades, the furniture is of no great importance, only the blade. Condition of blade, who made it and when are the only factors of importance.

Concerning WW2 blades (mostly made in 1937), known as shin gunto, they are only collectible as a WW2 piece. The blade is of no more significance than the furniture. Overall condition factors the price and that is all.

One must always be on the lookout for the shin gunto blade, where the Japanese officer replaced the armory blade with a family blade that was pre meiji and belonged to his grandfather. This was a common practice among decendents of samurai families.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Mr. Ass II?????

Really????

Is Mr. Ass, Sr still living???? Is there a Mrs. Ass????

[}:D]

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one that my grandfather gave me but i can't find a smiths mark on the tang. It's at my dad's house. I'll get it tonight and take some pics to post.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Also [url]www.nihonto.com[/url] is good for information about terminology.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Try getting in touch with Lanny at [url]www.pistolcraft.com[/url] he is a japanese sword collector an dwould be of help to you!

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
ck this site out: http://japanesesword.homestead.com/files/nihonto.htm
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have one that my grandfather gave me but i can't find a smiths mark on the tang. It's at my dad's house. I'll get it tonight and take some pics to post.
View Quote

You can also ID them by tang shape and file marking patterns.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL Grandman you are way to funny. You act a little queerish. But thanks for your probe into my family tree, But no one yanked your leash. So crawl back under your porch and finish licking yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top