Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2010 6:34:10 PM EDT
So a friend of a friend has some pups for sale($100) and I'm thinking about getting one. I've been throwing around the idea of getting a dog for a while now and have always liked terriers. Getting a large dog is out of the question other wise I'd get a lab or golden.  

I always liked littler breeds but don't like the yippee lap dogs. I don't want a dog that will make my house smell like shit and leave fur all over. I figured a JRT might fit the bill.

What do I need to know about the breed? Any information in general about JRTs would be great.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Jack Russell Terrorist:

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
they shed.   smart little dogs though.  i have two.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Best dogs ever...if you train them right.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Highly intelligent. Love to play and entertain.

EXREMELY HIGH ENERGY LEVELS.

It's a dog you need to spend a LOT of active time with.

If they get bored and you're not home and they aren't trained....they will steal your guns, rob a liquor store then go downtown and buy some crack ( as if they need it ) and then they will come home and trash the place.

THEN they'll smoke the crack....and THEN all hell will break loose.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Next door neighbor has 2.  They bark absolutely non-stop, we have lived here more than 2 years and I can't take my trash out or mow my backyard without them barking and trying to bite me through the fence.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
They're Chihuahua's on steroids.

I know a Fun Store that has a Jack Russell roaming the place.
You're his worst enemy in the world until you play with him.  Then your his best Buds for life.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
neat dogs
cat killers –– a pair ganged up on a neighborhood cat–– old coolest cat in the world and tore him to pieces.
the owner of the dogs was horrified and the rest of us were bummed since that cat really was cool.
Not sure how I would have reacted if it were my cat, guess you need to keep a eye on them and not let'em rove looking for trouble.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
They also tend to think that they can take anything

what my little guy planned to do with the deer after he caught it I don't know but I'm sure he did

very very strong prey drive

mine got run over chasing a deer across the highway
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
neat dogs
cat killers –– a pair ganged up on a neighborhood cat–– old coolest cat in the world and tore him to pieces.
the owner of the dogs was horrified and the rest of us were bummed since that cat really was cool.
Not sure how I would have reacted if it were my cat, guess you need to keep a eye on them and not let'em rove looking for trouble.

You NEVER let these guys off the leash!  Mine jumped out of my topless/doorless Jeep at ~30mph when he was a pup.  Since then, he stays in a seatbelt harness.  They HAVE NO FEAR!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/Aiden80013/Steve/IMG_0702.jpg

That is a great looking dog, don't know if you remember but I IM'd you a few weeks ago asking about it. When you say "train them right," what do you mean? Are there some do's and don'ts I need to be aware of?

Thanks for the info guys, this is not a decision I'm taking lightly. I'm a little leery about the energy level but I'm single, live alone, and I think it might be kind of nice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
JRTs ARE large dogs. They are just small in stature.

ETA:

Not my dog, but awesome...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
A good one will also calm down when he wants to
My departed one would climb in my lap and take a nap

then get back to being a terrorist later

Jump from anywhere as has been mentioned

capable of killing critters much larger than themselves

depends on the animal, I've had some that hated small children and some that liked them

Current little dog is a mix between dachshund and jrt

he's beyond insane

I was not expecting that it was possible to amp up the energy on a dachshund

then there is his sister (a buddy has her) - she's extremely calm

just depends on the dog/training

mine serves as an alarm clock for the GSDs - he'll go get them if he can't handle it ;)

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ETA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCq9oOPUpZ0

That is fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I love mine, but she sheds everywhere and was extremely hyper until she turned about 10.  She's twelve now and still going strong.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/Aiden80013/Steve/IMG_0702.jpg

That is a great looking dog, don't know if you remember but I IM'd you a few weeks ago asking about it. When you say "train them right," what do you mean? Are there some do's and don'ts I need to be aware of?

Thanks for the info guys, this is not a decision I'm taking lightly. I'm a little leery about the energy level but I'm single, live alone, and I think it might be kind of nice.

My GF at the time and I each took a week of leave to train him...he was never out of sight for the first couple weeks we had him.  They are by nature, VERY smart dogs, they don't want to poo/pee inside.  They want to go outside, so just give them a treat EVERYTIME they go outside.  Steve will remind me if I forget to give him his treat.

As far as other training, I never bothered...Steve will sit up on his own, and do other funny shit that I never taught him.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Hyper barky dogs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If they get bored and you're not home and they aren't trained....they will steal your guns, rob a liquor store then go downtown and buy some crack ( as if they need it ) and then they will come home and trash the place.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hyper barky dogs.

Hyper yes, but mine only barks when someone is near the door,
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETA:

Dang!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#20]
They are very smart, very trainable, and very hyper. They can be trained to calm down and they don't give a damn how big their enemy is, they go for the throat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hell, that is a mellow Jack Russell - the one I knew had a few names - Mark of the beast - had 6 spots on the back of his head, Jack the ripper - they are very smart - very pack animal, very alpha.

I remember once getting a phone call and in the back ground you could hear someone bitching about the Jack Russell "make your dog stop peeing on my dog".

Seemed like the dog would switch to a mellow mode - to hell on wheels in a blink of an eye.

My thoughts - I have seen some Jacks turn out to be one heck of a good dog - others - you better run for your life.

Brad
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ETA:

Bad ass.   That little guy was loving every second.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

...too funny. p.s. you owe me a new monitor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#24]
They do take a special kind of person to live with them (notice I didn't say own them.).  But they will give their life for you in a heartbeat, they are that loyal!  Mine bit one of my ex GF's on the lips when she was hitting me once.  He bit another GF in the face when she tried to scare me while sleeping.  I wouldn't trade him for a Rot or Dobie or any other dog!  He's a little warrior!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh, and if it's for $100 bucks...get it, if it's from a good breeder.  My ex paid ~1k for Steve.  And that was ~11 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#26]
My old neighbor has one.  The most hyper dog I've ever encountered!  When the neighbors husband was alive, the dog would come over and play with me all the time.  We would play fetch and he would let me pet him.  After the husband died, the dog would only bark at me even bit my daughter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Vicious, mean, pointy toothed, hate filled, and smart.
My parents had one and we never got along well.

I will give it credit though, where credit is due....we lived in a semi-rural area, and 1 neighbor dog was being attacked / harassed by another neighbor's GSD...my parent's JRT jumped into the fray and went toe to toe with the GSD and scared it off, with the JRT growling, barking, showing fangs, hair up on end, the whole nine yards. After all was said and done, the owners of dog that got attacked brought my parent's JRT a small steak to eat that night!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#28]
If its not clear, JRTs don't understand "scale" or "relative size", or "he is bigger than I am".
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If its not clear, JRTs don't understand "scale" or "relative size", or "he is bigger than I am".

Yup, they don't get that...but that's what makes them so great!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]
They rock––though you have to be prepared for the craziness.  Mine is a Jack/Pointer mix, so he's a little less crazy and a little bigger than a normal JRT.  Training him to go for walks was (and continues to be) interesting.  He's just over a year old now, but he's still basically a puppy in how he acts.  He runs around with friends' 3 border collies and 1 Aussie.  He still out-walks them (in terms of distance) even with his little legs.

He regularly gets owned while playing with two of the BCs (because they are faster and bigger).  So one day, he ran in a big loop while (in hindsight) pretending to play with BC1.  BC2 had owned him about a minute earlier and was at this point just sort of standing around.  Rhino (my terrier) came around like he was going to keep playing with BC1, ran right past her, and before BC2 could react, Rhino (at full speed) jumped, tucked his head and rolled (while still airborne) so his upper back was aimed at BC2, and took him out!  Twice Rhino's size, and he went down hard!  I had been recording them playing that day, but wasn't at that moment, sadly.  BC2 just got up and wandered around for a few seconds in shock.  Rhino looked at me with a giant smile, and then went to keep playing with BC1.

ETA: Rhino:

ETA2: Rhino only barks (if ever) when there is someone at the door (and this is rare if I am within his awareness) or if he is alone in his cage (only for a couple of barks, then he gives up).
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hyper barky dogs.

This.

My neighbor has two of them and I absolutely hate them. The only reason the male is still breathing is that I like my neighbor. The most obnoxious dogs on the planet. Part of that is the owners fault but OMG those hyper little yapping bastards suck. I love dogs and cringe at the thought of killing them but those dogs......no problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#32]
We've had one for 11 yrs and she is still going strong.  I swear she'll drop dead on day due to her heart spontaneously exploding w/a tennis ball in her mouth. To this day she still puts the run on our 100+lb lab as well as other dogs in around the block and she mows down cats like no tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#33]
A thread I started about them a while ago...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1037139

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ETA:

Not my dog, but awesome...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I actually have a question for the hive mind, here.  I normally use a pinch-collar on Rhino when walking him––is that doable long-term, or should I retrain him with a harness or something?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I actually have a question for the hive mind, here.  I normally use a pinch-collar on Rhino when walking him––is that doable long-term, or should I retrain him with a harness or something?

I used both a shock collar and a harness...but he still pulls.  I don't mind it, and he's a good dog otherwise, so I'm not worried about it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#37]
They are Land Sharks, crazy little bastards.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#38]
If you're going small, get a West Highland White Terrier.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Have to throw this out there because I just found it again while going through pictures.  Rhino trying to play with a BC and forgetting he was next to a wall.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They are Land Sharks, crazy little bastards.

True that, ours kills everything it can get a hold (snakes, rats, rabbit, etc.) but not Gila Monsters, those it just barks like crazy-assed until I come out.
They are awesome, but require work in the training department.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

or rats or fox or about any other terrier

both the rats I had over the years decided to fight coyotes

they lived but i am about $1,000 poorer over the deals

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Very energetic and willful.
DO shed, everywhere.
need at least basic obedience training.
Need lots of attention and exercise.
Make a great alarm system.
Very entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Very energetic and willful.
DO shed, everywhere.
need at least basic obedience training.
Need lots of attention and exercise.
Make a great alarm system.
Very entertaining.

The shedding is my only real gripe...but it's not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Dog people like to come up with optimistic descriptions such as "lots of energy" for breeds that are typically pure assholes like beagles and terriers.

Also, I am not too sure a JRT would fare as well against an American badger.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Just go ahead and throw away your rugs and nice furniture.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dog people like to come up with optimistic descriptions such as "lots of energy" for breeds that are typically pure assholes like beagles and terriers.

Also, I am not too sure a JRT would fare as well against an American badger.

They're fearless little fuckers...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just go ahead and throw away your rugs and nice furniture.

Again, bullshit...just get baby gates for when you're away.  Make sure it's the kind with metal inside, or they'll chew through it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I have two. Both girls. They are very interesting and smart dogs. If you dont have time to train them, you need to be very patient. They are awesome though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a short-legged female (my wife picked her out) and she is seven now. I also have a cat that we had before her and a Boston Terrier that is twice her size, she rules the house and takes no shit! She has no idea that she is only a 12lb dog and I have had her run head long barking with hackles up at a rottie and she was the size of its head. The only thing that freaks her out is little dogs, two gay guys walking a min-pin puppy and she was like WTF is that?

She is to smart for her own good sometimes and will find trouble if she's bored. If the boston has a toy she wants she will go get another one to distract him and when he goes for it she will go and get the one he had. One time my wife made some goofy noise that she didn't like and she came running over all in a huff. My wife thought it was funny so she made the noise again...the dog looked her square in the eye, squatted and pissed as if to say "See, look what you made me do and don't do it again!"

If you live in an apartment I would say don't do it, they need exercise and run time. We have invisible fence and it's a little easier to exercise them in the house because they are so small. They LOVE the laser pointer. I would also caution you living alone they will get bored and into trouble if left alone for to long. I think two is easier in that they entertain each other and wear each other out a bit but two jacks will conspire against you!

They are smart, fun and big dogs in little bodies but very willful and think everything is theirs. Every night I have to tell mine to get off my pillow when I go to bed and she gives me the obligatory grumble-growl as she does it. You hear lots of JRT horror stories so I guess mine isn't bad by Jack standards.

My advice...get a Boston Terrier instead. All the attitude of a terrier but willing to lay on the couch and relax when you want to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top